How To Find A Spyware On The Computer?

hello,

i am having a problem here...theres a box appears on my computer it says
Edow.exe has encountered an error and needs to close i always do it on "Send"
and it says Wintools Spyware.Huntbar

please let me know if you can help me....

thanks,
5 answers Last reply
More about find spyware computer

    It is likely that you have even more malware than what is identified by your post.
    Have you run Ad-Aware yet? Done an anti-virus scan with updated signature files?

    Re: Edow.exe, see here:
    eTrust Spyware Encyclopedia - DealHelper --
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453083037
    There are manual removal instructions if you scroll down the page.

    You apparently also have a WinTools Huntbar variant...have a look here --
    PC Hell: How to Remove WinTools (Huntbar variant):
    http://www.pchell.com/support/wintools.shtml

    My Basic Instructions for WinTools-

    Restart in Safe Mode:
    -Start the computer and hold down the CTRL key till the Windows 98 Startup menu
    (boot menu) appears.
    -Use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" and press Enter.

    Click Start> Settings> Folder Options> View tab, and click to enable "Show All
    Files" and click OK.

    Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and End Task on these processes, if they appear:
    WToolsA.exe
    Wsup.exe

    Then delete the Wintools folder, run Hijack This in Safe Mode, and use it to remove
    these entries:

    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) -
    {87766247-311C-43B4-8499-3D5FEC94A183} -C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WinTools\WToolsB.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {87766247-311C-43B4-8499-3D5FEC94A183} -
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WinTools\WToolsB.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinTools] C:\Program Files\Common Files\WinTools\WToolsA.exe

    Also, see "YellowHammer's" procedure here, near the bottom of the thread:
    http://castlecops.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=172295

    Here is my standard response on how to download and use Hijack This:

    Download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these locations:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
    Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, double-click
    HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

    When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
    similar).
    Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

    Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at one of these forums:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

    In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
    it.

    The folks there will tell you what to remove.

    See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
    http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

    A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
    http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "leb_guy_4_life" <leb_guy_4_life@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > i am having a problem here...theres a box appears on my computer it says
    > Edow.exe has encountered an error and needs to close i always do it on "Send"
    > and it says Wintools Spyware.Huntbar
    >
    > please let me know if you can help me....
    >
    > thanks,

    Do a check for Malware. Use all of these free sites.

    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    http://www.webroot.com/

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    leb_guy_4_life wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > i am having a problem here...theres a box appears on my computer it says
    > Edow.exe has encountered an error and needs to close i always do it on "Send"
    > and it says Wintools Spyware.Huntbar
    >
    > please let me know if you can help me....
    >
    > thanks,

    To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
    "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter, Bonzai
    Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but
    without understanding the consequences) installed, two products that
    are quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
    Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
    www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even possible
    to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system against most
    future intrusions. I use both and generally perform manual scans every
    week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

    Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
    varieties of scumware are available here:

    PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
    http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

    More information and assistance is available at these sites:

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi,

    Here is a combination of utilities that I have found to work very well
    in the removal and prevention of virus infection, spyware, parasites,
    malware and the like.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    leb_guy_4_life wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > i am having a problem here...theres a box appears on my
    > computer it says Edow.exe has encountered an error and
    > needs to close i always do it on "Send" and it says
    > Wintools Spyware.Huntbar
    >
    > please let me know if you can help me....
    >
    > thanks,

    EDOW.EXE & Huntbar = eTrust Spyware Encyclopedia - DealHelper.com:
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453083037
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/HuntBar.html
    http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/adware.huntbar.html

    Check for Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    leb_guy_4_life wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > i am having a problem here...theres a box appears on my computer it says
    > Edow.exe has encountered an error and needs to close i always do it on
    > "Send" and it says Wintools Spyware.Huntbar
    >
    > please let me know if you can help me....
    >
    > thanks,

Spyware Computers Windows XP