bought the Therea, now what?

Thursday morning, I went to Radio Shack first and bought a voice recorder
for $40 (which turned out to be the old price). (It does a nice job, but it
does not interface with the computer. I think I will return it in a few
days.)

Then I went out of town. Coming back Saturday night, I went straight to
TigerDirect (after the gas station :). At first, I couldn't find any of
those $75 Theras left. But then I found the last one, in the back of the
store where they had piled a bunch of stuff after the Saturday morning tent
sale. It was the one that had been open and pawed through. I plugged in the
charger long enough for it to turn on and verify that it worked, and I
asked about and got the missing User's Guide CD.

This morning, I started playing with it. I found where it tells me the ESN,
but it asks for an activation code from Verizon before I can program the
phone functions. Does this mean I can't just go to the web site and
activate it, then do *228, 1? Will CS believe me if I call and say I just
want to get it programmed with my account info as a backup phone, or will
they insist on putting me on a data plan?

What, basically, is the best way to proceed from here?

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Gentlemen, I want you to know that I am not always right, but I am never
wrong." - Sam Goldwyn

"David S" <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
> Thursday morning, I went to Radio Shack first and bought a voice recorder
> for $40 (which turned out to be the old price). (It does a nice job, but
it
> does not interface with the computer. I think I will return it in a few
> days.)
>
> Then I went out of town. Coming back Saturday night, I went straight to
> TigerDirect (after the gas station :). At first, I couldn't find any of
> those $75 Theras left. But then I found the last one, in the back of the
> store where they had piled a bunch of stuff after the Saturday morning
tent
> sale. It was the one that had been open and pawed through. I plugged in
the
> charger long enough for it to turn on and verify that it worked, and I
> asked about and got the missing User's Guide CD.
>
> This morning, I started playing with it. I found where it tells me the
ESN,
> but it asks for an activation code from Verizon before I can program the
> phone functions. Does this mean I can't just go to the web site and
> activate it, then do *228, 1? Will CS believe me if I call and say I just
> want to get it programmed with my account info as a backup phone, or will
> they insist on putting me on a data plan?

Yes you can! Either swap your existing ESN with the Thera, or add it as a
second phone and share the minutes.( if you do the swap you wont get hooked
into a years contract). After it has been entered into the system, doing a
*228 WILL do the trick. You do NOT need the "Activation" code to get it into
service.
The Thera will use the 1X-RTT service as it is, out of the box.
Hope this helps, I enjoy the hell out of mine.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 03:42:27 GMT, <farinasinsurance@sbcglobal.net> chose to
add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>"David S" <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
<snip>
>> This morning, I started playing with it. I found where it tells me the ESN,
>> but it asks for an activation code from Verizon before I can program the
>> phone functions. Does this mean I can't just go to the web site and
>> activate it, then do *228, 1? Will CS believe me if I call and say I just
>> want to get it programmed with my account info as a backup phone, or will
>> they insist on putting me on a data plan?
>
>Yes you can! Either swap your existing ESN with the Thera, or add it as a
>second phone and share the minutes.( if you do the swap you wont get hooked
>into a years contract). After it has been entered into the system, doing a
>*228 WILL do the trick. You do NOT need the "Activation" code to get it into
>service.
>The Thera will use the 1X-RTT service as it is, out of the box.
>Hope this helps, I enjoy the hell out of mine.

Thanks. It took me two different tries over a few days, but I finally got
it to work. (Apparently, it makes a difference if the letters in the ESN
are entered into the web site in upper or lower case.)

The problem I have now realized is that I have to be near a computer with
web access to switch from one phone to the other if I want to use the Thera
for some surfing while I'm away from the computer... Kind of a vicious
circle. (I'll have to investigate what happens if I'm using the 4400 to
connect my laptop to the net and switch my account from the 4400 to the
Thera, and if I'm using the Thera and switch my account back to the
4400...)

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I find American men more difficult to deal with than foreign men."
- Madeleine Albright

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:03:34 GMT, David S
<dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> chose to add this to the great equation
of life, the universe, and everything:

>(I'll have to investigate what happens if I'm using the 4400 to
>connect my laptop to the net and switch my account from the 4400 to the
>Thera, and if I'm using the Thera and switch my account back to the
>4400...)

I tried the second part of this. On the Thera, I entered the 4400's ESN
into VZW's Activate Phone page and clicked submit. The next page started to
load, then just quit. About two minutes later, I did a #646 on the 4400 and
it worked. Good thing to know.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I brought your jelly beans, darling." - NANCY REAGAN (Holland Taylor), to
her seriously wounded husband (Richard Crenna) in Showtime's 'The Day
Reagan Was Shot.'

TRENDING THREADS