Booting up problem

I have a computer which, on turning on, goes to the mode selection screen
(i.e. normal, safe etc). On selecting a ANY mode it goes to the Windows XP
home 'loading' screen but within a couple of seconds re-boots to mode
selection screen.

Does anyone have an idea of what may be causing this behaviour and how it
may be resolved please.

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

"Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a computer which, on turning on, goes to the mode selection screen
>(i.e. normal, safe etc). On selecting a ANY mode it goes to the Windows XP
>home 'loading' screen but within a couple of seconds re-boots to mode
>selection screen.
>
>Does anyone have an idea of what may be causing this behaviour and how it
>may be resolved please.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bill Ridgeway

Does it continue to cycle back to the Startup Menu every time, or does
it eventually finish booting into Windows?

Is there an option on the Startup menu to "turn off automatic restart
on System Failure"? If there is try selecting that option and see
what happens.

You will likely end up with a "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP error
message and the computer will lock up at that point, requiring a
manual power off and restart. However if this does happen then the
contents of the STOP error message, including the STOP code and all 4
of the parameters plus any file names mentioned, will be a direct clue
as to the underlying cause of your problem. Post that information
back here and we may be able to help you to indentify what is going
wrong.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks for the response to my initial post.

By installing the hard disk drive to my computer and running CHKDSK /F and
NAV (which found a number of viruses) the issue has been resolved.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a computer which, on turning on, goes to the mode selection screen
>(i.e. normal, safe etc). On selecting a ANY mode it goes to the Windows XP
>home 'loading' screen but within a couple of seconds re-boots to mode
>selection screen.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what may be causing this behaviour and how it
> may be resolved please.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill Ridgeway

Latest posts