P4P800 Stability Problems

davess4

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Hi guys,
This is my first post, although I've been coming to this site for about 3 years.
Anyways, I upgraded my mobo because my old one was having problems, or so I thought. My system would just reboot randomly, and half the time when I booted it wouldn't find my HD. After my HD was corrupted for the second time I decided that the problem was with my mobo. I upgraded my board to a P4P800 and got a P4800 2.8ghz with 2x 256 PC3200 corsair sticks. I'm basically having the same problems. I booted the first time and got win2k installed but then I rebooted and the system just hangs, I can hear it humming but no signal is sent to the monitor and no sound is made. If I turn it off for a bit and turn it on it will boot, but can't find my drives, and when it does I get blue screen errors, I assume because of a crash. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have my bios on default settings...
Here are the full specs on my computer now.

350watt ATX PSU
ASUS P4P800
P4800 2.8
Corsair 2x 256 PC3200 XMS
Western Digital HD 60Gigs (Ultra IDE)
Pionere DVD Drive
Plextor 40x12 CD-RW
Audigy 2 Platinum
I think thats about it, Again any help would be much apreciated

-Dave

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I had similar problems after building a P4P800 Deluxe system using two sticks of HyperX from Kingston. The thing that worked for me was to manually set the memory timing. Go into Setup and disable SPD then manually change the timings. You should first go to the Corsair site and see what timings they recommend. For the HyperX I was having great luck at 2-2-2-6 until I upgraded the BIOS to version 1008, then it got unstable again. I went back to 1007 and it stayed unstable (go figure). I changed the timing to a more conservative 2-3-3-7 and now the system appears to be rock solid.

davess4

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Thanks for the advice, I'm a little confused though.

I turned off SPD and entered manual settings.
I set CAS# latency to 2.5
RAS# 2
RAS to CAS Delay 2
but Prechard Delay can only be set to 5,6,7, or 8, The info on my sticks says set it to 2...
Then for Burst Length I can only set to 4 or 8. 6 is recomended. do I have the wrong settings? Sorry, I am a bit of a newbie at this stuff.

-dave

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Dave,

I'm pretty new at this too. I'd try something like 2-3-3-7 and see if it's stable. Then, if it is, try going 2-3-3-6, then 2-2-2-6 and so on till it gets buggy. When it does, go back to the previous one.

davess4

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Well, I've tried a few different things, but as my previous post mentioned I can't seem to set the later two numbers low enough. Do I have the wrong fields? Also sometimes the thing doesn't even boot, no signal to the monitor, no beeps. Nothing. And could these memory settings be causing the IDE detection problems?

-Dave

StrikerNR

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
Since this post is dedicated on P4p800 series motherboard, i thought i might ask for solution to problems here.
The problem i am getting is, the winxp pro is taking a lot of time to boot up. I have tried to disable all the onboard devices, ports and even once i disabled all the hardware/drivers except mouse, keyboard, proc, memory and video card drivers from the device manager but the problem didn't go away. Then i changed the hard drives and but problem was still there. It was taking a lot of time to load up win xp. I have tried virtually every thing. Can you guys suggest me anything.

Processor: Intel P42.4B 533Mhz processor
Memory: PC2700 DDR333 512MB single memory chip
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 20GB hard drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 9000PRO 64MB DDR video card.
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Live! Value
Motherboard: ASUS P4P800 Delux (intel 865PE)

davess4

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
My HSF is mounted securly, I've learned my lesson with that, and my powersuply is about a month old with almost no use, it's a enermax 350watt unit, not sure of the exact model but it's P4 compatable.

Also, I just switched power stips, the one I was using was sorta old. My computer seems much more stable now, I'm on it right now actually. The only lingering problem is once and a while when I turn it on I get no monitor signal and no beeps. But if I wait a few minutes and boot again it works... go figure.

-Dave

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're looking at the wrong fields. The fastest PC3200 is rated at 2-2-2-5. That's right, 5. You said you tried 2.5-2-2-something...you think should be lower. Well, lower is less stable, and the lowest memory available sets that one to 5.

I'd try 2-3-3-6

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>