Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wifi shopping in the US

Tags:
  • WiFi
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 8:37:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi all
I'd like to buy my AP,ADSL modem, a booster and a remote antenna in the
States (going there at the end of the month)
I forgot the name of those chain shops you find everywhere (except Circuit
City)
Please give me a help, also OK for good online shops
Thanks a lot

More about : wifi shopping

September 11, 2004 8:37:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Here in California, it's my experience that the ISP usually supplies the
adsl/cable modem as part of the monthly fee. I'm sure there are exceptions.

The big chain stores you are thinking about are probably:
www.bestbuy.com
www.compusa.com
I'm sure there are local favorites.

A very nice online store that everyone seems to like is:
www.newegg.com

Lance
*****

Runge thought carefully and wrote on 9/11/2004 7:37 AM:

> Hi all
> I'd like to buy my AP,ADSL modem, a booster and a remote antenna in the
> States (going there at the end of the month)
> I forgot the name of those chain shops you find everywhere (except Circuit
> City)
> Please give me a help, also OK for good online shops
> Thanks a lot
>
>
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 8:37:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:37:06 +0200, "Runge" <philsa@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>I'd like to buy my AP,ADSL modem, a booster and a remote antenna in the
>States (going there at the end of the month)
>I forgot the name of those chain shops you find everywhere (except Circuit
>City)

The major US electronics stores are:
Frys, Circuit City, Best Buy, and CompUSA.

Be very careful with boxes that have been returned by customers,
repackaged, and placed back on the shelf. Chances are high that they
are broken or have missing parts. You should try everything you buy
before returning home.

Also, make sure that the 802.11 radios you purchase can be reset to
French regulatory specifications in either firmware or in the setup.
Many of them cannot and will be illegal to use in France, which only
allows 4 channels.

Online, methinks the best way to shop is to first figure out the
manufacturer and exact model that you want. Then find a vendor with
Froogle at:
http://froogle.google.com

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Related resources
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 9:04:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Runge wrote:

> Hi all
> I'd like to buy my AP,ADSL modem, a booster and a remote antenna in the
> States (going there at the end of the month)
> I forgot the name of those chain shops you find everywhere (except Circuit
> City)
> Please give me a help, also OK for good online shops
> Thanks a lot
I do not know where you are from, but remember that US Wifi kit is slightly
different from other parts of the world in the number of channels that are
allowed (US = 11, Europe = 13, Japan = 14) and in the maximum power
(US 200mW, rest of the world 100mW). So buying Wifi kit in the US may
not be the best thing to do.
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 9:20:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Lance wrote:
> Here in California, it's my experience that the ISP usually supplies the
> adsl/cable modem as part of the monthly fee. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Comcast will supply it for something like $3 a month, but I bought my own
Linksys and avoided their software. No grief from them about the router.

--
Steve
Purple Heart Veterans against BuSh and the Chickenhawks
* Ya Hadda Be There To Get One *

Re-defeat Bush in 2004
September 11, 2004 9:20:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:20:57 GMT, Steve Caple
<stevecaple@commoncast.net> wrote:
>Purple Heart Veterans
> * Ya Hadda Be There To Get One *

Whatever happened to the "Quiet Hero?" :-)
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 2:13:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

John wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:20:57 GMT, Steve Caple
> <stevecaple@commoncast.net> wrote:
>>Purple Heart Veterans
>> * Ya Hadda Be There To Get One *
>
> Whatever happened to the "Quiet Hero?" :-)

Never saw it. Was John Wayne in it? I liked "Local Hero".


The day the RNC chairman, Georgie Girl, Cheney, Saxby Chambliss and Karl
Rove all apologize to Max Cleland for the 2002 Georgia Senate campaign
smear I'll be glad to be quiet, despite being no hero. But with Bush
surrogates nattering on about Kerry getting Purple Hearts for minor wounds,
I doubt that will happen soon. It's not how badly you got wounded (and
mine were minor, despite being four feet away from a 37mm that went off
inside our H-3 over the North, thanks to a flak vest and a lot of luck),
but whether you were "there" getting shot at at all. There are damn few in
the top echelons of the Bush regime that ever did - Tom Ridge and Colin
Powell come to mind.


This from a conservative source (the Cato Institute):

'A generation has passed, and approximately the same amount of time
separates Iraq from Vietnam as separated Vietnam from Munich. Those two
precedents define the paradox of intervention. Munich will forever
exemplify the consequences of appeasement, but Vietnam serves as a reminder
of the dangers of over-commitment.

Curiously, however, now that it has ascended to power, the generation that
lived through Vietnam no longer seems to be influenced by it. President
Bill Clinton was initially cautious about using military force. But by the
end of his presidency he had initiated war in the Balkans. President Bush
has been even more emphatic about the need to use military force. "In the
new world we have entered," he argued in the September 2002 National
Security Strategy, "the only path to peace and security is the path of
action."

Yet for all his talk about sacrifice, Bush never served in Vietnam. He
spent the war flying National Guard aircraft over Texas. "I am angry that
so many of the sons of the powerful and well placed ... managed to wangle
slots in Reserve and National Guard units," Secretary of State Colin Powell
wrote in his memoirs. "Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class
discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all
Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country."'

http://www.cato.org/dailys/01-31-04.html

Bush and Kerry are both "fortunate sons" - but one went and the other
stayed home. That's fine, I've got nothing against folks who joined the
Guard (WITHOUT their Daddy getting somebody to let them jump line) or those
who went to Canada, or college in Britain, or got college deferments, etc.
But when they get all self-righteous about "sacrifice" and start calling
their political and policy opponents "unpatriotic" when THEY THEMSELVES
avoided service, then I get a wee bit pissed off at their hypocrisy.

--
Steve
Purple Heart Veterans against BuSh and the Chickenhawks
* Ya Hadda Be There To Get One *

Re-defeat Bush in 2004
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 6:49:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Runge" <philsa@bigfoot.com> climbed onto an orange crate and shouted:

>Hi all
>I'd like to buy my AP,ADSL modem, a booster and a remote antenna in the
>States (going there at the end of the month)
>I forgot the name of those chain shops you find everywhere (except Circuit
>City)
>Please give me a help, also OK for good online shops
>Thanks a lot

As others have mentioned the other large, national electronics
discount chains are BestBuy and CompUSA. Prices for computer goods at
mainstream discounters such as WalMart often are somewhat high.

Where in the USA are you going? It's a *big* country and there are
some regional chains that may or may not have stores where you will be
traveling. For example another respondent mentioned Fry's, a chain
with stores that are mainly in California and some other western
states.

The best deals are on weekly advertised specials, which usually start
on Sundays. These specials appear in the Sunday editions of local
newspapers and usually can be viewed online as well. Be aware that
really cheap deals often sell out quickly.

As for online shops, my current favorite is newegg.com. Online
retailers are ranked at http://resellerratings.com/


--
"Dude, we totally forgot our slogan..." ~ Medical Marijuana Association
Billboard
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 3:38:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Thanks to everyone
I'm from France and i'll be going respectively to Washington DC, Virginia
Beach, Fort lauderdale to Key West, Puerto Rico.
Thanks again

"Charles Hawtrey" <chawtrey@hotpop.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:4147b6ac.37373993@news.individual.net...
> "Runge" <philsa@bigfoot.com> climbed onto an orange crate and shouted:
>
> >Hi all
> >I'd like to buy my AP,ADSL modem, a booster and a remote antenna in the
> >States (going there at the end of the month)
> >I forgot the name of those chain shops you find everywhere (except
Circuit
> >City)
> >Please give me a help, also OK for good online shops
> >Thanks a lot
>
> As others have mentioned the other large, national electronics
> discount chains are BestBuy and CompUSA. Prices for computer goods at
> mainstream discounters such as WalMart often are somewhat high.
>
> Where in the USA are you going? It's a *big* country and there are
> some regional chains that may or may not have stores where you will be
> traveling. For example another respondent mentioned Fry's, a chain
> with stores that are mainly in California and some other western
> states.
>
> The best deals are on weekly advertised specials, which usually start
> on Sundays. These specials appear in the Sunday editions of local
> newspapers and usually can be viewed online as well. Be aware that
> really cheap deals often sell out quickly.
>
> As for online shops, my current favorite is newegg.com. Online
> retailers are ranked at http://resellerratings.com/
>
>
> --
> "Dude, we totally forgot our slogan..." ~ Medical Marijuana Association
> Billboard
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 4:25:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On 9/11/04 6:04 PM, David Goodenough wrote:

> I do not know where you are from, but remember that US Wifi kit is slightly
> different from other parts of the world in the number of channels that are
> allowed (US = 11, Europe = 13, Japan = 14) and in the maximum power
> (US 200mW, rest of the world 100mW). So buying Wifi kit in the US may
> not be the best thing to do.

Is the hardware the same?

Is it possible to install an Europe firmware on a US product (e.g.
access point)?

Thanks.
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 1:26:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Runge" <philsa@bigfoot.com> climbed onto an orange crate and shouted:

>Thanks to everyone
>I'm from France and i'll be going respectively to Washington DC, Virginia
>Beach, Fort lauderdale to Key West, Puerto Rico.
>Thanks again

One more thing -- read the fine print carefully. Low advertised
prices at the big electronics retailers very often include mail-in
rebates. You need to send your receipt and a brief form, perhaps also
including the UPC code from the package, and in a few weeks they send
you a check by return post. It may not be practical or desirable to
send the info from France and then have to cash a dollar-denominated
check drawn on a U.S. bank.


--
"If you can eat a big can of stew, you can make a high
performance antenna." -- Gregory Rehm
!