Wifi shopping in the US

Hi all
I'd like to buy my AP,ADSL modem, a booster and a remote antenna in the
States (going there at the end of the month)
I forgot the name of those chain shops you find everywhere (except Circuit
City)
Please give me a help, also OK for good online shops
Thanks a lot
10 answers Last reply
More about wifi shopping

    Here in California, it's my experience that the ISP usually supplies the
    adsl/cable modem as part of the monthly fee. I'm sure there are exceptions.

    The big chain stores you are thinking about are probably:
    www.bestbuy.com
    www.compusa.com
    I'm sure there are local favorites.

    A very nice online store that everyone seems to like is:
    www.newegg.com

    Lance
    *****

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:37:06 +0200, "Runge" <philsa@bigfoot.com>
    wrote:

    >I'd like to buy my AP,ADSL modem, a booster and a remote antenna in the
    >States (going there at the end of the month)
    >I forgot the name of those chain shops you find everywhere (except Circuit
    >City)

    The major US electronics stores are:
    Frys, Circuit City, Best Buy, and CompUSA.

    Be very careful with boxes that have been returned by customers,
    repackaged, and placed back on the shelf. Chances are high that they
    are broken or have missing parts. You should try everything you buy
    before returning home.

    Also, make sure that the 802.11 radios you purchase can be reset to
    French regulatory specifications in either firmware or in the setup.
    Many of them cannot and will be illegal to use in France, which only
    allows 4 channels.

    Online, methinks the best way to shop is to first figure out the
    manufacturer and exact model that you want. Then find a vendor with
    Froogle at:
    http://froogle.google.com

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Runge wrote:

    > Hi all
    > I'd like to buy my AP,ADSL modem, a booster and a remote antenna in the
    > States (going there at the end of the month)
    > I forgot the name of those chain shops you find everywhere (except Circuit
    > City)
    > Please give me a help, also OK for good online shops
    > Thanks a lot
    I do not know where you are from, but remember that US Wifi kit is slightly
    different from other parts of the world in the number of channels that are
    allowed (US = 11, Europe = 13, Japan = 14) and in the maximum power
    (US 200mW, rest of the world 100mW). So buying Wifi kit in the US may
    not be the best thing to do.

    Lance wrote:
    > Here in California, it's my experience that the ISP usually supplies the
    > adsl/cable modem as part of the monthly fee. I'm sure there are exceptions.

    Comcast will supply it for something like $3 a month, but I bought my own
    Linksys and avoided their software. No grief from them about the router.

    --
    Steve
    Purple Heart Veterans against BuSh and the Chickenhawks

    Re-defeat Bush in 2004

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:20:57 GMT, Steve Caple
    <stevecaple@commoncast.net> wrote:
    >Purple Heart Veterans
    > * Ya Hadda Be There To Get One *

    Whatever happened to the "Quiet Hero?" :-)

    John wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:20:57 GMT, Steve Caple
    > <stevecaple@commoncast.net> wrote:
    >>Purple Heart Veterans
    >> * Ya Hadda Be There To Get One *
    >
    > Whatever happened to the "Quiet Hero?" :-)

    Never saw it. Was John Wayne in it? I liked "Local Hero".

    The day the RNC chairman, Georgie Girl, Cheney, Saxby Chambliss and Karl
    Rove all apologize to Max Cleland for the 2002 Georgia Senate campaign
    smear I'll be glad to be quiet, despite being no hero. But with Bush
    surrogates nattering on about Kerry getting Purple Hearts for minor wounds,
    I doubt that will happen soon. It's not how badly you got wounded (and
    mine were minor, despite being four feet away from a 37mm that went off
    inside our H-3 over the North, thanks to a flak vest and a lot of luck),
    but whether you were "there" getting shot at at all. There are damn few in
    the top echelons of the Bush regime that ever did - Tom Ridge and Colin
    Powell come to mind.

    This from a conservative source (the Cato Institute):

    'A generation has passed, and approximately the same amount of time
    separates Iraq from Vietnam as separated Vietnam from Munich. Those two
    precedents define the paradox of intervention. Munich will forever
    exemplify the consequences of appeasement, but Vietnam serves as a reminder
    of the dangers of over-commitment.

    Curiously, however, now that it has ascended to power, the generation that
    lived through Vietnam no longer seems to be influenced by it. President
    Bill Clinton was initially cautious about using military force. But by the
    end of his presidency he had initiated war in the Balkans. President Bush
    has been even more emphatic about the need to use military force. "In the
    new world we have entered," he argued in the September 2002 National
    Security Strategy, "the only path to peace and security is the path of
    action."

    Yet for all his talk about sacrifice, Bush never served in Vietnam. He
    spent the war flying National Guard aircraft over Texas. "I am angry that
    so many of the sons of the powerful and well placed ... managed to wangle
    slots in Reserve and National Guard units," Secretary of State Colin Powell
    wrote in his memoirs. "Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class
    discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all
    Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country."'

    http://www.cato.org/dailys/01-31-04.html

    Bush and Kerry are both "fortunate sons" - but one went and the other
    stayed home. That's fine, I've got nothing against folks who joined the
    Guard (WITHOUT their Daddy getting somebody to let them jump line) or those
    who went to Canada, or college in Britain, or got college deferments, etc.
    But when they get all self-righteous about "sacrifice" and start calling
    their political and policy opponents "unpatriotic" when THEY THEMSELVES
    avoided service, then I get a wee bit pissed off at their hypocrisy.

    --

    "Runge" <philsa@bigfoot.com> climbed onto an orange crate and shouted:

    >Hi all
    >I'd like to buy my AP,ADSL modem, a booster and a remote antenna in the
    >States (going there at the end of the month)
    >I forgot the name of those chain shops you find everywhere (except Circuit
    >City)
    >Please give me a help, also OK for good online shops
    >Thanks a lot

    As others have mentioned the other large, national electronics
    discount chains are BestBuy and CompUSA. Prices for computer goods at
    mainstream discounters such as WalMart often are somewhat high.

    Where in the USA are you going? It's a *big* country and there are
    some regional chains that may or may not have stores where you will be
    traveling. For example another respondent mentioned Fry's, a chain
    with stores that are mainly in California and some other western
    states.

    The best deals are on weekly advertised specials, which usually start
    on Sundays. These specials appear in the Sunday editions of local
    newspapers and usually can be viewed online as well. Be aware that
    really cheap deals often sell out quickly.

    As for online shops, my current favorite is newegg.com. Online
    retailers are ranked at http://resellerratings.com/

    --
    "Dude, we totally forgot our slogan..." ~ Medical Marijuana Association
    Billboard

    Thanks to everyone
    I'm from France and i'll be going respectively to Washington DC, Virginia
    Beach, Fort lauderdale to Key West, Puerto Rico.
    Thanks again

    On 9/11/04 6:04 PM, David Goodenough wrote:

    > I do not know where you are from, but remember that US Wifi kit is slightly
    > different from other parts of the world in the number of channels that are
    > allowed (US = 11, Europe = 13, Japan = 14) and in the maximum power
    > (US 200mW, rest of the world 100mW). So buying Wifi kit in the US may
    > not be the best thing to do.

    Is the hardware the same?

    Is it possible to install an Europe firmware on a US product (e.g.
    access point)?

    Thanks.

    "Runge" <philsa@bigfoot.com> climbed onto an orange crate and shouted:

    >Thanks to everyone
    >I'm from France and i'll be going respectively to Washington DC, Virginia
    >Beach, Fort lauderdale to Key West, Puerto Rico.
    >Thanks again

    One more thing -- read the fine print carefully. Low advertised
    prices at the big electronics retailers very often include mail-in
    rebates. You need to send your receipt and a brief form, perhaps also
    including the UPC code from the package, and in a few weeks they send
    you a check by return post. It may not be practical or desirable to
    send the info from France and then have to cash a dollar-denominated
    check drawn on a U.S. bank.

    --
    "If you can eat a big can of stew, you can make a high
    performance antenna." -- Gregory Rehm

WiFi and Home Networking Wireless Networking