User accounts

I have set up myself as administrator and my b/f as user. My account moves
around fine on the internet and computer. However while he is using his
account it moves slower and slower and slower until it comes to a halt.

He isn't computer literate, and clicks on just about anything he can. Which
is why I need to get his side fixed ASAP.

If anyone can help me please do.

Thank you!
9 answers Last reply
More about user accounts

    Hi Yvonne,

    First, ensure that your anti-virus software is up to date, and perform a full scan from your desktop preferably, since it seems to be unaffected.

    Second, look into programs such as AdAware, www.lavasoftusa.com and SpyBot Search and Destroy, www.safer-networking.org. In either case, if you decide to download either/both of these programs (they will each catch things the other misses), ensure that you check for the latest definitions/updates for the program.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Yvonne" <Yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2D4901D-9959-4C8D-8724-242CA2A682A2@microsoft.com...
    >I have set up myself as administrator and my b/f as user. My account moves
    > around fine on the internet and computer. However while he is using his
    > account it moves slower and slower and slower until it comes to a halt.
    >
    > He isn't computer literate, and clicks on just about anything he can. Which
    > is why I need to get his side fixed ASAP.
    >
    > If anyone can help me please do.
    >
    > Thank you!

    also, if he is clicking on everything and anything, you might want to clean
    your temp files, and do a bit of disk cleanup.
    go to Start>My computer, highlight Local C>slide the mouse down to
    Properties, right click that and click on 'disk cleanup' Just click okay to
    perform this action..or whatever the phrase is. It may take a few minutes
    if there are a lot of temp files to clean.

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Yvonne" <Yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have set up myself as administrator and my b/f as user. My account moves
    > around fine on the internet and computer. However while he is using his
    > account it moves slower and slower and slower until it comes to a halt.
    >
    > He isn't computer literate, and clicks on just about anything he can.
    > Which
    > is why I need to get his side fixed ASAP.
    >
    > If anyone can help me please do.
    >
    > Thank you!

    Doug,
    I am using "mate watcher" at this time on my computer as well. all for good
    reason, and when I put spyware or adware on the computer it disables the
    program. At this time i can't disable program....

    Also I am using zone alarms...

    Should I just take norton and portion out the hard drive? I have 80 gigs...
    and that is too much all at once.

    I just want to make sure he can continue taking his online classes ...
    etc... with out the administrator abilities. And right now he is using my
    side of the computer...

    Thank you

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Yvonne,
    >
    > First, ensure that your anti-virus software is up to date, and perform a full scan from your desktop preferably, since it seems to be unaffected.
    >
    > Second, look into programs such as AdAware, www.lavasoftusa.com and SpyBot Search and Destroy, www.safer-networking.org. In either case, if you decide to download either/both of these programs (they will each catch things the other misses), ensure that you check for the latest definitions/updates for the program.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Yvonne" <Yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2D4901D-9959-4C8D-8724-242CA2A682A2@microsoft.com...
    > >I have set up myself as administrator and my b/f as user. My account moves
    > > around fine on the internet and computer. However while he is using his
    > > account it moves slower and slower and slower until it comes to a halt.
    > >
    > > He isn't computer literate, and clicks on just about anything he can. Which
    > > is why I need to get his side fixed ASAP.
    > >
    > > If anyone can help me please do.
    > >
    > > Thank you!

    You should use the various spyware/adware removal programs. Personally, I recommend using more than one, as most will miss something that the other(s) will catch. Actually, the MS Anti-spyware beta product is doing pretty well, considering that my kids click everything that says "You must..........". However, its not perfect, so AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy also get used in my household. Mate watcher would be classified as spyware. Your best solution there is the front door.

    "Yvonne" <Yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08BD291A-6F64-4B92-AEC5-0B6F8B11161F@microsoft.com...
    > Doug,
    > I am using "mate watcher" at this time on my computer as well. all for good
    > reason, and when I put spyware or adware on the computer it disables the
    > program. At this time i can't disable program....
    >
    > Also I am using zone alarms...
    >
    > Should I just take norton and portion out the hard drive? I have 80 gigs...
    > and that is too much all at once.
    >
    > I just want to make sure he can continue taking his online classes ...
    > etc... with out the administrator abilities. And right now he is using my
    > side of the computer...
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Yvonne,
    >>
    >> First, ensure that your anti-virus software is up to date, and perform a full scan from your desktop preferably, since it seems to be unaffected.
    >>
    >> Second, look into programs such as AdAware, www.lavasoftusa.com and SpyBot Search and Destroy, www.safer-networking.org. In either case, if you decide to download either/both of these programs (they will each catch things the other misses), ensure that you check for the latest definitions/updates for the program.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "Yvonne" <Yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2D4901D-9959-4C8D-8724-242CA2A682A2@microsoft.com...
    >> >I have set up myself as administrator and my b/f as user. My account moves
    >> > around fine on the internet and computer. However while he is using his
    >> > account it moves slower and slower and slower until it comes to a halt.
    >> >
    >> > He isn't computer literate, and clicks on just about anything he can. Which
    >> > is why I need to get his side fixed ASAP.
    >> >
    >> > If anyone can help me please do.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you!

    You can severely restrict his account... There is a very in depth, but
    sometimes off topic post at The Elder Geek.com The topic is called Guest
    Account...and from some pretty spiffy tricks of the trade, it is possible to
    keep an account extremely limited it what the user can and cannot do. Check
    it out if you are interested.

> [...]

    >> Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "Yvonne" <Yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have set up myself as administrator and my b/f as user. My account
    >> >moves
    >> > around fine on the internet and computer. However while he is using
    >> > his
    >> > account it moves slower and slower and slower until it comes to a halt.
    >> >
    >> > He isn't computer literate, and clicks on just about anything he can.
    >> > Which
    >> > is why I need to get his side fixed ASAP.

    Yes, as long as your boyfriend does not need to download for his classes, a
    guest account would be just the ticket.

    lvee wrote:
    > You can severely restrict his account... There is a very in depth, but
    > sometimes off topic post at The Elder Geek.com The topic is called
    > Guest Account...and from some pretty spiffy tricks of the trade, it
    > is possible to keep an account extremely limited it what the user can
    > and cannot do. Check it out if you are interested.
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > You should use the various spyware/adware removal programs.
    > Personally, I recommend using more than one, as most will miss
    > something that the other(s) will catch. Actually, the MS
    > Anti-spyware beta product is doing pretty well, considering that my
    > kids click everything that says "You must..........". However, its
    > not perfect, so AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy also get used
    > in my household. Mate watcher would be classified as spyware.
    > Your best solution there is the front door.
    >

    > "Yvonne" <Yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Doug,
    >> I am using "mate watcher" at this time on my computer as well. all
    >> for good
    >> reason, and when I put spyware or adware on the computer it disables
    >> the program. At this time i can't disable program....
    >>
    >> Also I am using zone alarms...
    >>
    >> Should I just take norton and portion out the hard drive? I have 80
    >> gigs...
    >> and that is too much all at once.
    >>
    >> I just want to make sure he can continue taking his online classes
    >> ... etc... with out the administrator abilities. And right now he
    >> is using my side of the computer...
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Yvonne,
    >>>
    >>> First, ensure that your anti-virus software is up to date, and
    >>> perform a full scan from your desktop preferably, since it seems to
    >>> be unaffected.
    >>>
    >>> Second, look into programs such as AdAware, www.lavasoftusa.com and
    >>> SpyBot Search and Destroy, www.safer-networking.org. In either
    >>> case, if you decide to download either/both of these programs (they
    >>> will each catch things the other misses), ensure that you check for
    >>> the latest definitions/updates for the program.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    >>> Display\Security
    >>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >>> http://www.dougknox.com
    >>> --------------------------------
    >>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    >>> --------------------------------
    >>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>>
    >>> "Yvonne" <Yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    The thing about guest account is that it's not as 'limited' as it could be.
    Although the user does have some strict limitations, it turns out they can
    change the security settings, which is kind of stupid, but there are some
    registry entries that can be applied to halt those attempts, and you can
    change the guest account, via control userpassword2, to a *restricted*
    account. It's a good thing to know, especially for parents who are trying
    to keep their computers safe from kids who, also, click on everything.

    "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, as long as your boyfriend does not need to download for his classes,
    > guest account would be just the ticket.
    >
    > lvee wrote:
    >> You can severely restrict his account... There is a very in depth, but
    >> sometimes off topic post at The Elder Geek.com The topic is called
    >> Guest Account...and from some pretty spiffy tricks of the trade, it
    >> is possible to keep an account extremely limited it what the user can
    >> and cannot do. Check it out if you are interested.
    >>
    >> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> You should use the various spyware/adware removal programs.
    >> Personally, I recommend using more than one, as most will miss
    >> something that the other(s) will catch. Actually, the MS
    >> Anti-spyware beta product is doing pretty well, considering that my
    >> kids click everything that says "You must..........". However, its
    >> not perfect, so AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy also get used
    >> in my household. Mate watcher would be classified as spyware.
    >> Your best solution there is the front door.
    >>

    >> "Yvonne" <Yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Doug,
    >>> I am using "mate watcher" at this time on my computer as well. all
    >>> for good
    >>> reason, and when I put spyware or adware on the computer it disables
    >>> the program. At this time i can't disable program....
    >>>
    >>> Also I am using zone alarms...
    >>>
    >>> Should I just take norton and portion out the hard drive? I have 80
    >>> gigs...
    >>> and that is too much all at once.
    >>>
    >>> I just want to make sure he can continue taking his online classes
    >>> ... etc... with out the administrator abilities. And right now he
    >>> is using my side of the computer...
    >>>
    >>> Thank you

    I have tried spyware and adware on win98se and the computer pretty much came
    to a halt.

    I don't want the computer slowing way down. I just want it to work as well
    on his side of the log in as it does when logged in on my side.

    I will look into spyware / adware for xp.

    Thank you so much everyone for your help.

    Other than the MS Antispyware beta product, my personal recommendations are AdAware, www.lavasoftusa.com and SpyBot Search and Destroy, www.safer-networking.org. In both cases, ensure you get the latest updates, even though you just downloaded the programs.

    "Yvonne" <Yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A16E845-C004-42E9-8DD9-C31EA100DCC0@microsoft.com...
    >I have tried spyware and adware on win98se and the computer pretty much came
    > to a halt.
    >
    > I don't want the computer slowing way down. I just want it to work as well
    > on his side of the log in as it does when logged in on my side.
    >
    > I will look into spyware / adware for xp.
    >
    > Thank you so much everyone for your help.
    >

    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> You should use the various spyware/adware removal programs. Personally, I recommend using more than one, as most will miss something that the other(s) will catch. Actually, the MS Anti-spyware beta product is doing pretty well, considering that my kids click everything that says "You must..........". However, its not perfect, so AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy also get used in my household. Mate watcher would be classified as spyware. Your best solution there is the front door.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "Yvonne" <Yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08BD291A-6F64-4B92-AEC5-0B6F8B11161F@microsoft.com...
    >> > Doug,
    >> > I am using "mate watcher" at this time on my computer as well. all for good
    >> > reason, and when I put spyware or adware on the computer it disables the
    >> > program. At this time i can't disable program....
    >> >
    >> > Also I am using zone alarms...
    >> >
    >> > Should I just take norton and portion out the hard drive? I have 80 gigs...
    >> > and that is too much all at once.
    >> >
    >> > I just want to make sure he can continue taking his online classes ....
    >> > etc... with out the administrator abilities. And right now he is using my
    >> > side of the computer...
    >> >
    >> > Thank you

Computers User Accounts Windows XP