how to remove 1 password from autocomplete

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

It took some time to figure this one out, but it can be done, and M$ doesn't
tell you how to do it..

Ever had auto complete fail by accidentally or on purpose telling it to NOT
remember a password for one specific site ?

1 visit that specific site
2 when your name/handle appears in the pull down, DELETE IT.
3 close that page.
4 ie6->Internet options->general tab->history->clear history.
5 visit that specific site
6 enter handle/name as long as it doesn't appear in the pull down.
7 choose yes to save the password now.

Only reason I mention this is for my records also. This has happened more often
than I can remember. Just decided to try and correct it this time. And M$
doesn't tell you it can be done. Their solution is ALL the babie's out with ALL
the bath water.
IOW: Clear out ALL passwords and start remembering ALL from scratch again.

--
more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
6 answers Last reply
More about remove password autocomplete
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I've been telling folks for years how to delete a specific password!
    All you had to do was post your question in this newsgroup!

    "When an autocomplete drop-down box appears, move your cursor
    to the box entry, click once to highlight the erroneous entry, then
    press your DELETE key on the keyboard."

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Husky" wrote:

    | It took some time to figure this one out, but it can be done, and M$ doesn't
    | tell you how to do it..
    |
    | Ever had auto complete fail by accidentally or on purpose telling it to NOT
    | remember a password for one specific site ?
    |
    | 1 visit that specific site
    | 2 when your name/handle appears in the pull down, DELETE IT.
    | 3 close that page.
    | 4 ie6->Internet options->general tab->history->clear history.
    | 5 visit that specific site
    | 6 enter handle/name as long as it doesn't appear in the pull down.
    | 7 choose yes to save the password now.
    |
    | Only reason I mention this is for my records also. This has happened more often
    | than I can remember. Just decided to try and correct it this time. And M$
    | doesn't tell you it can be done. Their solution is ALL the babie's out with ALL
    | the bath water.
    | IOW: Clear out ALL passwords and start remembering ALL from scratch again.


    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
    Tested on: 5/10/2005 1:05:11 PM
    avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    http://www.avast.com
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:05:10 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >I've been telling folks for years how to delete a specific password!
    >All you had to do was post your question in this newsgroup!
    >
    >"When an autocomplete drop-down box appears, move your cursor
    >to the box entry, click once to highlight the erroneous entry, then
    >press your DELETE key on the keyboard."

    It wasn't a question. I fix 90% of what I come across. the news group is
    usually a last resort.
    I just posted this so I could move it into my news readers 'keep this' hint
    file.

    Deleting whatever comes up in a drop down box isn't always connected to a
    password. That's what my post was about.
    You can delete whatever in the drop down box, but if the page with a wrong
    password still exists in the history, you can't get the prompt for saving a new
    corrected password.
    The steps I made show how to insert a NEW password on a page holding a previous
    bad password.

    --
    more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Protected Storage PassView v1.62:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org


    "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
    news:i35281thhsafnmh4frlt03pqeirjv9nmfb@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:05:10 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    > <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I've been telling folks for years how to delete a specific password!
    >>All you had to do was post your question in this newsgroup!
    >>
    >>"When an autocomplete drop-down box appears, move your cursor
    >>to the box entry, click once to highlight the erroneous entry, then
    >>press your DELETE key on the keyboard."
    >
    > It wasn't a question. I fix 90% of what I come across. the news group is
    > usually a last resort.
    > I just posted this so I could move it into my news readers 'keep this'
    > hint
    > file.
    >
    > Deleting whatever comes up in a drop down box isn't always connected to a
    > password. That's what my post was about.
    > You can delete whatever in the drop down box, but if the page with a wrong
    > password still exists in the history, you can't get the prompt for saving
    > a new
    > corrected password.
    > The steps I made show how to insert a NEW password on a page holding a
    > previous
    > bad password.
    >
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:37:49 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Protected Storage PassView v1.62:
    >http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html

    Or go the route I did. hahaha. I wonder why the code would be interpreted as
    virus or Trojan. It should show up as spy ware.


    Pretty much overkill. I can't remember the last time I wanted to change every
    or more than one password.

    --
    more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    >> It should show up as spy ware.

    Known issue, but it's not a spyware.

    http://aumha.org/elist.cgi/2005/04/16

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org


    "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
    news:42v381p9romq8ksrulge383f4kndp3k7q4@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:37:49 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Protected Storage PassView v1.62:
    >>http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html
    >
    > Or go the route I did. hahaha. I wonder why the code would be interpreted
    > as
    > virus or Trojan. It should show up as spy ware.
    >
    >
    > Pretty much overkill. I can't remember the last time I wanted to change
    > every
    > or more than one password.
    >
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:16:51 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >>> It should show up as spy ware.
    >
    >Known issue, but it's not a spyware.
    >
    >http://aumha.org/elist.cgi/2005/04/16

    Anything that can extract private information from restricted, protected areas
    of the machine are definitely spy ware. As in guns are weapons. If you use them
    that way. Or protection. All in how you use it.

    Though I've never seen any purpose for key loggers that could be explained as
    anything but spy ware with no other purpose.
    --
    more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Microsoft Windows XP