What would happen?

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
What would happen if you put an AMD Athlon XP 333 FSB cpu into a mobo that had a chipset that only supported 266 FSB? I did this and everything powers on but I get no display. The monitor tells me to check signal connection. Is this a sympton of me trying to mix oil with water? I'm guessing if I get a cpu that has the proper FSB that it would fix the problem I'm having. I accidentally ordered the wrong CPU but I figured what the hell let's see what happens.

<font color=blue>One day ass hair will be sexy.</font color=blue>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Im guessing the bios didnt initialize because of what it percieves as a failure to initialize because of overclocking, or because of wrong CPU core voltage, its a protective measure. If the Voltage your CPU requires is way out of the range your motherboard supports or if the FSB frequency is over the limit that your Chipset or Ram supports it will not start.

If you can afford it, I suggest you buy a new motherboard and Ram that supports the new CPU because it is much much faster then your old computer core and you will see a marked increase in performance.

In my opinion going back to a older slower CPU is like burning money, you need to go forward.

XeeN

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
The BIOS is probably having a problem 'recognizing' the chip. There's that and the voltage support issue mentioned previously. If your board has jumpers that can set the FSB etc. then you might want to try setting them to 266MHz FSB and appropriate multiplier and voltage (if possible). Since the architecture is basically the same, it is possible that it will run, just not at 333MHz FSB. Of course, if your current board doesn't support the appropriate voltage (which is likely if it doesn't support Tbred) then I don't recommend trying to boot again with that processor on that board.

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by deadkenny on 06/30/03 09:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
because it is much much faster then your old computer core and you will see a marked increase in performance.
Just out of curiosity, how do you know? He doesn't list his old specs, and going from a 266FSB 2600+(for example) to pretty much anything will barely be noticeable, unless you're just looking at benchmarks. If it's gaming performance, then a better vid card would yeild MUCH better results than a new CPU....

Just typing my thoughts..

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I think I just need to get a T-Bred cpu. Look <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=356483#356483" target="_new">here</A> to see my post about this in the Graphics Forum. I listed all of the components I'm using in that post. It seems all of you are saying that what I did is confusing the mobo so much that it won't even show the display. Let me know if that's what you guys would do. I'm thinking try T-Bred cpu first and go from there.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
To be honest, I'd keep the Barton and get an nforce2 board the epox 8RDA+ is only about £65 now in the UK, and this stuff is usually cheaper in the states (if that's where you are?)

That'll give you a MUCH better system - I recently upgraded from a VIA KT333 board, and it's loads better. Plus with a nforce2 board you'll be able to OC that barton a lot, if you wish, while keeping RAM in synch...

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Can everyone else see my posts? I can't!!

Yea!!! I can see them now!!!

<font color=blue>One day ass hair will be sexy.</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by groth2757 on 06/30/03 12:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Chip I think I'm going to do what you suggest. I'm going with an nforce2 board being that another cpu would run about the same price. Hopefully it isn't an issue with the Radeon 9000 I bought.