Cold Mastery and Immunes?

lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003

All,

It has been quite a while and I don't remember how Cold Mastery
interacts with immunes. I seem to recall that "immunes" just have a
high resist cold (100% or more) and that cold mastery can pierce it. I
suppose some foes have so much "immunity" that they stay immune even
with high values of Cold Mastery.

Keeping in mind that I am making a Blizzard-only sorceress, what amount
of Cold Mastery is necessary? Right now I am level 58, I've got 1 in
SF, TP, TK, Warmth, 20 in Blizzard, 10 in Cold Mastery (and loving it),
1 in Frozen Armor and Frost Nova, and 5-10 points each in Ice Bolt, Ice
Blast, and Glacial Spike (I don't remember the numbers). That's base.

I have 10 unspent skill points. I would totally go for dropping them
all into Cold Mastery *assuming* that means anything or that I can
affect more "immune" foes (if not all).

Anybody got any advice on this?

Thanks,

Lewis

In article <1119307093.829301.163930@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<lewis@lwb.org> wrote:

>It has been quite a while and I don't remember how Cold Mastery
>interacts with immunes. I seem to recall that "immunes" just have a
>high resist cold (100% or more) and that cold mastery can pierce it. I
>suppose some foes have so much "immunity" that they stay immune even
>with high values of Cold Mastery.
>
>Keeping in mind that I am making a Blizzard-only sorceress, what amount
>of Cold Mastery is necessary? Right now I am level 58, I've got 1 in
>SF, TP, TK, Warmth, 20 in Blizzard, 10 in Cold Mastery (and loving it),
>1 in Frozen Armor and Frost Nova, and 5-10 points each in Ice Bolt, Ice
>Blast, and Glacial Spike (I don't remember the numbers). That's base.
>
>I have 10 unspent skill points. I would totally go for dropping them
>all into Cold Mastery *assuming* that means anything or that I can
>affect more "immune" foes (if not all).
>
>Anybody got any advice on this?

Cold Mastery does _NOT_ break cold immunity. The only things that can
break elemental immunities are the Lower Resists curse (easiest found on
shoppable wands) and the Paladin Conviction aura (only on very expensive
runewords).

However, once the immunity is broken, Cold Mastery does indeed lower it
(much) further, enable you to do great amounts of cold damage. Put around
10 hard points into it (if you have those available), and see how it goes
combined with your +skills gear. If you feel you're doing too little
damage, and that's because of the cold resistance of critters, add some
more points.

I put about 15 hard poits in CM for both my FO/CL and by Blizzard/FB sorc,
and it's working quite nicely.

Regards,

Patrick.

lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003

I picked up a staff with Lower Resist charges (level 1 Lower Resist)
and with my level 10 Cold Mastery (level 11 with my +1 skills) I still
wasn't able to break the immunity of a zombie in hell.

What level of cold mastery + lower resist do I need to break immunity?

Lewis

lewis@lwb.org wrote:
> I picked up a staff with Lower Resist charges (level 1 Lower Resist)
> and with my level 10 Cold Mastery (level 11 with my +1 skills) I still
> wasn't able to break the immunity of a zombie in hell.
>
> What level of cold mastery + lower resist do I need to break immunity?

To find out, try doing a quick search.

To break an immunity, disregard your cold mastery. CM will only help
AFTER the immunity is broken.

Remember that Lower Resist and Conviction work at 1/5th against
immunities.

1. Find out the cold resist of the particular monster (i use
d2data.net).

2. Find out the effective lower resist %: 0.2 * 31 = 6% (for slvl 1
Lower Resist)

3. If the monster has higher than 105% cold resist then you are out of
luck.

4. If the monster had 105% cold resist then you will take it down to
99% with Lower Resist and then Cold Mastery would take it down further.

>From memory, cold immunes tend to be the worst, in the sense that they
tend to have higher resists than fire or lightning immunes.

lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003

All,

I've got my new Blizzard-only MF sorceress to level 77 or so, and
Nightmare Baal runs on /players 8 are slowing down. I can maybe stand
to get to level 79 or 80 or so (takes me 10 full runs to get a level,
from the look of it). I will need somewhere to adventure in Hell to get
a few levels (I'd like to get to level 85). I can use my necromancer to
help her quest past Andariel and Duriel and Mephisto (darn cold
immunes) or maybe I could do it slowly by porting past the things I
cant fight. Well, I think Duriel will be cold immune. Not sure.

Anyway, assuming I can get her access to acts 1-4 in Hell difficulty,
are there any places to get experience that are reliably free (or low
count) when it comes to cold immunes?

Thanks,

Lewis

lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003

I'm playing on Single player, so no partying up. :)

I will just poke around and see if I can find any good areas.

Thanks,

Lewis

lewis@lwb.org wrote:
<snip>> Anyway, assuming I can get her access to acts 1-4 in Hell
difficulty,
> are there any places to get experience that are reliably free (or low
> count) when it comes to cold immunes?

Ancient Tunnels in Act 2 Lost City. No Cold Immunes, and it's a lvl 85
area.

In article <1119552821.595671.274180@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
<lewis@lwb.org> wrote:

>I've got my new Blizzard-only MF sorceress to level 77 or so, and
>Nightmare Baal runs on /players 8 are slowing down. I can maybe stand
>to get to level 79 or 80 or so (takes me 10 full runs to get a level,
>from the look of it). I will need somewhere to adventure in Hell to get
>a few levels (I'd like to get to level 85). I can use my necromancer to
>help her quest past Andariel and Duriel and Mephisto (darn cold
>immunes) or maybe I could do it slowly by porting past the things I
>cant fight. Well, I think Duriel will be cold immune. Not sure.

None of the end-of-act-bosses are immune to anything, they just have
really high resists, and a lot of life.

>Anyway, assuming I can get her access to acts 1-4 in Hell difficulty,
>are there any places to get experience that are reliably free (or low
>count) when it comes to cold immunes?

No idea there... Perhaps a really strong merc can help you with those? And
if you join public Hell Baal runs (or if you want to stick to Acts 1-4,
Diablo Runs), I think you can get plenty of exp...

Just try playing Hell, not skimp past most of it, and see how it goes. You
might learn something, or gain new tactics/skills but you will in any case
gain quite a few levels...

Regards,

Patrick.

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "chaliban" <chaliban@hotmail.com>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>lewis@lwb.org wrote:
><snip>> Anyway, assuming I can get her access to acts 1-4 in Hell
>difficulty,
>> are there any places to get experience that are reliably free (or low
>> count) when it comes to cold immunes?

>Ancient Tunnels in Act 2 Lost City. No Cold Immunes, and it's a lvl 85
>area.

Along the same line, the crypt and mausoleum. Lightning immunes only. I
also often hit Fire Eye (palace level 3) with an all cold flinger, and none of
the packs nearby are cold immune, so there's another spot to hunt (albeit a
short hunt).

Many of the other areas will randomly spawn without cold immunes, too,
although Lewis seems to be on the case having a look around already.

--
Rakanishu!