Asus a7n8x Dlx Network question

CatMan

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
I can plug another computer's network cable into one of my asus network plugs and have the other network plug running to the broadband modem and get internet on both computers right?

Its only funny until somebody gets hurt, then its hilarious.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya catman;

erm if i understand correctly what you are asking the answer is no.

Depending on wether your ISP is giving One, or more then one IP adress you can do the following:

If your ISP is only giving you one IP adress for free then you will have to buy a router and network your computers that way, or you can run a gateway server with two NIC in it with DNS and all that jazz, but thats more complicated then you probably want to deal with if you dont know what your doing, otherwise you will have to contact your ISP and ask them if they allow you to use a router on your side of the network or if this violates the TOS, and also what type of router will work, some require a cable/dsl router and some will work on a normal router.

If your ISP gives you more then one IP adress for free then you can just use a switch or a hub and it will automatically connect all computers to the internet with default TCP/IP settings with no configuration required.

XeeN

Maverick494

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
You can do that just fine, as long as you use windows built internet sharing or a third party program like win-proxy. The NIC that goes between the 2 PC's must be hooked up with a cross-over cable and you have to run the same OS on both PC's(most of the time). I have also found that you should manually set the IP address for the 2 PC's hooked together. I would use 192.168.0.1 for the one with 2 NIC's and 192.168.0.2 for the one with 1 NIC. To be honest if you are running Win 2k or Win XP pro the networking wizard should work just fine.

Just a computer junky<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Maverick494 on 06/30/03 06:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>