How do I see motherboard details?

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

How do I see the complete details of a system? I want to see details
of a motherboard in a computer running XP HE SP2, but it doesn't appear
in the device manager.

This is due to an error on my friend's computer - in the device manger
there's a yellow question against 'multimedia controllers' -is this
likely to be coming from the mobo as I don't believe she has a separate
sound card?

Thank you.
Nina

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"JustMe" <holymoleytiger@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> How do I see the complete details of a system? I want to see details
> of a motherboard in a computer running XP HE SP2, but it doesn't
> appear
> in the device manager.
>
> This is due to an error on my friend's computer - in the device manger
> there's a yellow question against 'multimedia controllers' -is this
> likely to be coming from the mobo as I don't believe she has a
> separate
> sound card?

Did your friend install the motherboard's chipset drivers? Windows
includes most (but not all) of the Intel chipset drivers but you'll need
to install the brand-specific chipset drivers for SiS, Via, nVidia, etc.
Go to the motherboard maker's web site and look for mobo drivers which
are needed to support those onboard devices.

Since you gave no specifics on WHICH motherboard is in question, the
answers will be just as vague. Details can completely alter the
the big rock so you don't end up falling off the cliff before that
point).

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

Its still a sound card, even if its on-board. If Device Manager can't give you anything about it, you'll need to look up the board on the manufacturer's web site. Most likely, the driver for it isn't installed.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

JustMe wrote:
> How do I see the complete details of a system? I want to see details
> of a motherboard in a computer running XP HE SP2, but it doesn't appear
> in the device manager.
>
> This is due to an error on my friend's computer - in the device manger
> there's a yellow question against 'multimedia controllers' -is this
> likely to be coming from the mobo as I don't believe she has a separate
> sound card?
>
> Thank you.
> Nina

1) Start > Run > MSinfo32.exe.

2) Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information

3) Start > Run > DXDiag.exe.

4) Right-click My Computer > Manage > Device Manager.

5) If none of the built-in tools provide the information you want, you
can use these utilities to help determine the answer to your question:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32