Updating Win98 to XP - overwrite or uninstall first?!

I need to update my system from Windows 98 to XP - should I uninstall first
or just overwrite?? Please advise asap!! Thanks, Teya411

The correct term is "Upgrade". While running Windows 98,
insert the Windows XP CD and select "Upgrade".

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Teya411" wrote:

| I need to update my system from Windows 98 to XP - should I uninstall first
| or just overwrite?? Please advise asap!! Thanks, Teya411

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
Tested on: 5/10/2005 6:51:09 PM

Teya411 wrote:
> I need to update my system from Windows 98 to XP - should I uninstall first
> or just overwrite?? Please advise asap!! Thanks, Teya411

Some people will recommend that you perform a clean installation,
rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. For the most part, I feel
that these people, while well-meaning, are living in the past, and are
basing their recommendation on their experiences with older operating
systems. You'd probably save a lot of time by upgrading your PC to
WinXP, rather than performing a clean installation, if you've no
hardware or software incompatibilities. Microsoft has greatly improved
(over earlier versions of Windows) WinXP's ability to smoothly upgrade
an earlier OS.

WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
important to you, back it up before proceeding.

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Depends whether you purchased an 'upgrade' copy or a 'full' retail version
of XP.
An upgrade simply means that it 'upgrades' your original operating system
(win 98) to windows XP. If you have an upgrade copy then slip the xp cd into
the cd-rom and select upgrade from the menu.
A full retail copy however means you can install it onto a hard drive that
doesn't already have an operating system.
To upgrade there is no need to 'uninstall' xp will simply add any files it
needs and overwrite any others. As you are unsure of what you should be
doing i would suggest that you simply insert the cd into the cd-rom and
select upgrade and let xp do the rest.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert