administrator account hidden

I was administrator on my computer. I added another administrative account
and made my first one limited, but now none of my or my son's accounts
appear, and there is no administrative account on my computer. If I look at
the list of users, it shows my administrative account and many others, but
they are not accessible. I cannot use my computer as there is no
administrator. How do I get my original administrative account back. The
help I was already given did not work. Thank you Rhonda
16 answers Last reply
More about administrator account hidden

    The Administrator account is still there.

    For XP Pro: With no users logged on, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the Welcome Screen. You'll get the old Win2K style logon dialog.

    For XP Home: The built-in Administrator account can only be accessed via Safe Mode, at this point. See Help and Support for "Safe Mode". The built-in Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen once you're in Safe Mode.

    To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen, visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section. Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account ...... The same restrictions still apply for XP Home (only accessible via Safe Mode).

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3347098-012F-4E6D-9E2E-108D00426258@microsoft.com...
    >I was administrator on my computer. I added another administrative account
    > and made my first one limited, but now none of my or my son's accounts
    > appear, and there is no administrative account on my computer. If I look at
    > the list of users, it shows my administrative account and many others, but
    > they are not accessible. I cannot use my computer as there is no
    > administrator. How do I get my original administrative account back. The
    > help I was already given did not work. Thank you Rhonda

    From what she says Doug, she made "the Administrator Account" limited. Can
    that even be done?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    The Administrator account is still there.

    For XP Pro: With no users logged on, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the
    Welcome Screen. You'll get the old Win2K style logon dialog.

    For XP Home: The built-in Administrator account can only be accessed via
    Safe Mode, at this point. See Help and Support for "Safe Mode". The
    built-in Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen once you're
    in Safe Mode.

    To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen,
    visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section.
    Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account ...... The same
    restrictions still apply for XP Home (only accessible via Safe Mode).

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was administrator on my computer. I added another administrative account
    > and made my first one limited, but now none of my or my son's accounts
    > appear, and there is no administrative account on my computer. If I look
    > at
    > the list of users, it shows my administrative account and many others, but
    > they are not accessible. I cannot use my computer as there is no
    > administrator. How do I get my original administrative account back. The
    > help I was already given did not work. Thank you Rhonda

    Not from Control Panel, User Accounts, by default. The built in Administrator account doesn't even show up there. It will if you've used the tweak to enable the Administrator Account on the Welcome Screen. Normally, the only way it could have been disabled is from the command line or CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2.

    I guess the real issue is:

    > the list of users, it shows my administrative account and many others, but
    > they are not accessible. I cannot use my computer as there is no
    > administrator.

    What error does she get, if any, when she tries to access these accounts? Where is she seeing these accounts? In Windows Explorer? User Accounts?

    "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eF8FIfjVFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > From what she says Doug, she made "the Administrator Account" limited. Can
    > that even be done?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > The Administrator account is still there.
    >
    > For XP Pro: With no users logged on, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the
    > Welcome Screen. You'll get the old Win2K style logon dialog.
    >
    > For XP Home: The built-in Administrator account can only be accessed via
    > Safe Mode, at this point. See Help and Support for "Safe Mode". The
    > built-in Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen once you're
    > in Safe Mode.
    >
    > To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen,
    > visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section.
    > Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account ...... The same
    > restrictions still apply for XP Home (only accessible via Safe Mode).
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > Display\Security
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I was administrator on my computer. I added another administrative account
    >> and made my first one limited, but now none of my or my son's accounts
    >> appear, and there is no administrative account on my computer. If I look
    >> at
    >> the list of users, it shows my administrative account and many others, but
    >> they are not accessible. I cannot use my computer as there is no
    >> administrator. How do I get my original administrative account back. The
    >> help I was already given did not work. Thank you Rhonda

    Hi Doug!
    I tried both ways you showed me to reinstate my administrative account, but
    on the first one, it made me put in a password, which I do not know. So it
    would not add me back as administrator. None of our other passwords would
    work either. The second way did not work because every time I went into safe
    mode, and I did ctr/alt/del the other welcome window would not come up. Is
    there another way? To make it more clear what happened, I was administrator.
    I then set up another administrative account, and I do not know why I did
    this, I guess I was experimenting, and I set my major admin account as
    limited, and made the new one the admin account, which I do not know the
    password for. When I look at the list of users, all of the accounts are
    there, but I cannot use any of them. I want to either use the admin account
    I first set up, or use the other one, but neither of them are listed in user
    account. My son's name and password does not work either, and he is not
    listed on the user account page either. Neither is my guest account. Hope
    you can help. Thanks, Rhonda

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > The Administrator account is still there.
    >
    > For XP Pro: With no users logged on, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the Welcome Screen. You'll get the old Win2K style logon dialog.
    >
    > For XP Home: The built-in Administrator account can only be accessed via Safe Mode, at this point. See Help and Support for "Safe Mode". The built-in Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen once you're in Safe Mode.
    >
    > To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen, visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section. Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account ...... The same restrictions still apply for XP Home (only accessible via Safe Mode).

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3347098-012F-4E6D-9E2E-108D00426258@microsoft.com...
    > >I was administrator on my computer. I added another administrative account
    > > and made my first one limited, but now none of my or my son's accounts
    > > appear, and there is no administrative account on my computer. If I look at
    > > the list of users, it shows my administrative account and many others, but
    > > they are not accessible. I cannot use my computer as there is no
    > > administrator. How do I get my original administrative account back. The
    > > help I was already given did not work. Thank you Rhonda

    Rhonda,

    You don't say if you're running XP Pro or XP Home. The first method, CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the Welcome Screen works for XP Pro, not Home. Enter Administrator and try leaving the password blank/empty.

    For XP Home: Once you're in Safe Mode, you don't need the CTRL-ALT-DEL method. The built in Administrator account will show up on the Welcome Screen. Of course, this assumes that you have the Welcome Screen enabled.

    "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C23C0A8E-A436-4AFE-8658-019C5EED60C3@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Doug!
    > I tried both ways you showed me to reinstate my administrative account, but
    > on the first one, it made me put in a password, which I do not know. So it
    > would not add me back as administrator. None of our other passwords would
    > work either. The second way did not work because every time I went into safe
    > mode, and I did ctr/alt/del the other welcome window would not come up. Is
    > there another way? To make it more clear what happened, I was administrator.
    > I then set up another administrative account, and I do not know why I did
    > this, I guess I was experimenting, and I set my major admin account as
    > limited, and made the new one the admin account, which I do not know the
    > password for. When I look at the list of users, all of the accounts are
    > there, but I cannot use any of them. I want to either use the admin account
    > I first set up, or use the other one, but neither of them are listed in user
    > account. My son's name and password does not work either, and he is not
    > listed on the user account page either. Neither is my guest account. Hope
    > you can help. Thanks, Rhonda
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> The Administrator account is still there.
    >>
    >> For XP Pro: With no users logged on, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the Welcome Screen. You'll get the old Win2K style logon dialog.
    >>
    >> For XP Home: The built-in Administrator account can only be accessed via Safe Mode, at this point. See Help and Support for "Safe Mode". The built-in Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen once you're in Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen, visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section. Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account ...... The same restrictions still apply for XP Home (only accessible via Safe Mode).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3347098-012F-4E6D-9E2E-108D00426258@microsoft.com...
    >> >I was administrator on my computer. I added another administrative account
    >> > and made my first one limited, but now none of my or my son's accounts
    >> > appear, and there is no administrative account on my computer. If I look at
    >> > the list of users, it shows my administrative account and many others, but
    >> > they are not accessible. I cannot use my computer as there is no
    >> > administrator. How do I get my original administrative account back. The
    >> > help I was already given did not work. Thank you Rhonda

    inline...

    "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Doug!
    > I tried both ways you showed me to reinstate my administrative account,
    > but
    > on the first one, it made me put in a password, which I do not know. So
    > it
    > would not add me back as administrator. None of our other passwords would
    > work either. The second way did not work because every time I went into
    > safe
    > mode, and I did ctr/alt/del the other welcome window would not come up.
    > Is
    > there another way? To make it more clear what happened, I was
    > administrator.
    > I then set up another administrative account, and I do not know why I did
    > this, I guess I was experimenting, and I set my major admin account as
    > limited, and made the new one the admin account, which I do not know the
    > password for. When I look at the list of users, all of the accounts are
    > there, but I cannot use any of them.

    As you can see the list of users I infer that you apparently ARE able to get
    into the system (in safe mode?)

    In that case you might try the following.
    get a 30-day trail copy of Hyena (http://www.systemtools.com/hyena/)
    That will list (among others) your users and you will be able to make your
    original account 'Administrator' a member of the group 'Administrators' and
    possibly assign a new password.
    I've seen the behaviour in XP Home that when accounts are made 'Limited',
    they vanish from the Welcome screen.
    They stay on the system, but have become unusable.
    'Limited' translates to the group 'Power Users', but that group does not
    exist in Home Ed, thus leaving the accounts member of a group the OS does
    not understand.

    hth

    george

    > I want to either use the admin account
    > I first set up, or use the other one, but neither of them are listed in
    > user
    > account. My son's name and password does not work either, and he is not
    > listed on the user account page either. Neither is my guest account.
    > Hope
    > you can help. Thanks, Rhonda
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> The Administrator account is still there.
    >>
    >> For XP Pro: With no users logged on, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the
    >> Welcome Screen. You'll get the old Win2K style logon dialog.
    >>
    >> For XP Home: The built-in Administrator account can only be accessed via
    >> Safe Mode, at this point. See Help and Support for "Safe Mode". The
    >> built-in Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen once
    >> you're in Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen,
    >> visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section.
    >> Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account ...... The same
    >> restrictions still apply for XP Home (only accessible via Safe Mode).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    >> Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I was administrator on my computer. I added another administrative
    >> >account
    >> > and made my first one limited, but now none of my or my son's accounts
    >> > appear, and there is no administrative account on my computer. If I
    >> > look at
    >> > the list of users, it shows my administrative account and many others,
    >> > but
    >> > they are not accessible. I cannot use my computer as there is no
    >> > administrator. How do I get my original administrative account back.
    >> > The
    >> > help I was already given did not work. Thank you Rhonda

    I think your suggestion is a good one, except that I cannot download Hyena as
    I do not have administrative privaledges. Any other suggestions?

    "george" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> built-in Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen once
    > >> you're in Safe Mode.
    > >>
    > >> To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen,
    > >> visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section.
    > >> Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account ...... The same
    > >> restrictions still apply for XP Home (only accessible via Safe Mode).
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > >> Display\Security
    > >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com
    > >> --------------------------------
    > >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    > >> --------------------------------
    > >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.

    I am running xp pro, and when I type administrator and then either try to
    enter a password or leave it blank, it says it cannot be done? I really need
    help with this. I have not been able to do anything with my computer since
    this happened last week. When I hit control/alt/del twice, it does not bring
    up the 2000 welcome window. I did not have 2000 previously. Can I do
    anything from the user list? thanks for any help you can give. rhonda

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> [...]
    > >>
    > >> To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen, visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section. Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account ...... The same restrictions still apply for XP Home (only accessible via Safe Mode).
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    > >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com
    > >> --------------------------------
    > >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    > >> --------------------------------
    > >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.

    What do you mean "cannot be done"? Please provide the exact text of the messsage.

    "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84E9EE2F-F569-4AD2-8EA9-1AC6529A32F7@microsoft.com...
    >I am running xp pro, and when I type administrator and then either try to
    > enter a password or leave it blank, it says it cannot be done? I really need
    > help with this. I have not been able to do anything with my computer since
    > this happened last week. When I hit control/alt/del twice, it does not bring
    > up the 2000 welcome window. I did not have 2000 previously. Can I do
    > anything from the user list? thanks for any help you can give. rhonda
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Rhonda,
    >>
    >> You don't say if you're running XP Pro or XP Home. The first method, CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the Welcome Screen works for XP Pro, not Home. Enter Administrator and try leaving the password blank/empty.
    >>
    >> For XP Home: Once you're in Safe Mode, you don't need the CTRL-ALT-DEL method. The built in Administrator account will show up on the Welcome Screen. Of course, this assumes that you have the Welcome Screen enabled.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C23C0A8E-A436-4AFE-8658-019C5EED60C3@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hi Doug!
    >> > I tried both ways you showed me to reinstate my administrative account, but
    >> > on the first one, it made me put in a password, which I do not know. So it
    >> > would not add me back as administrator. None of our other passwords would
    >> > work either. The second way did not work because every time I went into safe
    >> > mode, and I did ctr/alt/del the other welcome window would not come up. Is
    >> > there another way? To make it more clear what happened, I was administrator.
    >> > I then set up another administrative account, and I do not know why I did
    >> > this, I guess I was experimenting, and I set my major admin account as
    >> > limited, and made the new one the admin account, which I do not know the
    >> > password for. When I look at the list of users, all of the accounts are
    >> > there, but I cannot use any of them. I want to either use the admin account
    >> > I first set up, or use the other one, but neither of them are listed in user
    >> > account. My son's name and password does not work either, and he is not
    >> > listed on the user account page either. Neither is my guest account. Hope
    >> > you can help. Thanks, Rhonda

    Rhonda,

    (long)
    There are a few things in your story that 'don't jive' for me.
    See inline and you'll see why I say that..

    "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was administrator on my computer.
    First off, the account named 'Administrator' (that IS what we are talking
    about here, isn't it?) will normally not show up on the genuine XP Welcome
    screen.
    If you have more accounts defined, then those other (self-defined) accounts
    are showing, never the original account named 'Administrator', unless you
    have tweaked the system, in which case it is possible to have it shown.
    However, from the level of knowledge you have offered here so far (and I do
    not mean any disrespect with this), I guess you haven't don this.

    >I added another administrative account
    How did you add this second account?
    Did you use the 'Local Users and Groups' function in Manage Computer or did
    you use the Control Panel, Users, Category function? I suspect the latter,
    simply because that is a very common approach for many users.

    > and made my first one limited,
    Now this statement unnerves my first conclusion, because of your use of the
    term 'limited'.
    The possibility to 'just flick a switch' to change the account type to
    'limited' is readily offered in Control Panel Users, but not in Local Users
    and Groups. In the latter you would have to 'juggle' with Group memberships
    to achieve something like that and again that is not a normal user's cup of
    tea. On top of that this could only be done still being logged on with an
    account that HAS membership in the group 'Administrators', otherwise you
    will get error messages of type 'Access Denied' or 'Error occurred trying to
    execute the requested function(or some wording with that bearing).

    >but now none of my or my son's accounts
    > appear, and there is no administrative account on my computer.
    Simply from changing the account type of one and adding another, this is NOT
    normal behaviour, I agree.

    > If I look at
    > the list of users, it shows my administrative account and many others, but
    > they are not accessible.
    With what function are you able to 'look' at your list of accounts?
    I suspect Local Users and Groups, because the Control Panel, Users interface
    does not show you the account named 'Administrator' and you state you can
    see your administrative account listed among others.
    Furthermore they ARE accessible, only not for changing most of the settings,
    if not all, so I guess with 'not accessible' you meant to say you cannot
    change anything for those accounts.

    > I cannot use my computer as there is no
    > administrator. How do I get my original administrative account back. The
    > help I was already given did not work. Thank you Rhonda

    There are various tools on the net that can be used to get a hold of the
    password of the account named 'Administrator', but that is only a secondary
    problem for you, because apparently your 'administrator' account(s) no
    longer have 'administrator' privileges.
    There are tools that can be used to gain access, but so far I've only been
    able to find 'payable' ones, like Emergency Repair Commander from
    Winternals.com. Such a tool will allow you get into your system (even with a
    normal user status) and change things that you could not change through Safe
    Mode (like writing in the registry!), but I'm not sure if it will allow you
    changes to 'elevate' a given account to 'administrator' status.
    Unfortunately I have no setup to 'mimic' your situation, but possibly
    someone else has the ultimate bright idea. (Doug??)

    george

    I did not mean to say that it said it cannot be done. It just does not work.
    I tried 3 or 4 ways to correct this problem, and so far none work. If I go
    to the welcome screen and c/a/del twice, nothing happens. If I go into safe
    mode and try and change it, it does not change it. I am really getting
    desperate. I need to get my administrative status back. I cannot make any
    changes to my system, I cannot download or anything. I hope this clarifies
    what problems I am having. Thanks Rhonda

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > What do you mean "cannot be done"? Please provide the exact text of the messsage.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84E9EE2F-F569-4AD2-8EA9-1AC6529A32F7@microsoft.com...
    > >I am running xp pro, and when I type administrator and then either try to
    > > enter a password or leave it blank, it says it cannot be done? I really need
    > > help with this. I have not been able to do anything with my computer since
    > > this happened last week. When I hit control/alt/del twice, it does not bring
    > > up the 2000 welcome window. I did not have 2000 previously. Can I do
    > > anything from the user list? thanks for any help you can give. rhonda
    > >
    > > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Rhonda,
    > >>
    > >> You don't say if you're running XP Pro or XP Home. The first method, CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the Welcome Screen works for XP Pro, not Home. Enter Administrator and try leaving the password blank/empty.
    > >>
    > >> For XP Home: Once you're in Safe Mode, you don't need the CTRL-ALT-DEL method. The built in Administrator account will show up on the Welcome Screen. Of course, this assumes that you have the Welcome Screen enabled.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    > >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com
    > >> --------------------------------
    > >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    > >> --------------------------------
    > >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    > >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    I am totally new to this newsgroup, and do not know what inline is. Please
    explain.

    "george" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> built-in Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen once
    > >> you're in Safe Mode.
    > >>
    > >> To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen,
    > >> visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section.
    > >> Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account ...... The same
    > >> restrictions still apply for XP Home (only accessible via Safe Mode).
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > >> Display\Security
    > >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com
    > >> --------------------------------
    > >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    > >> --------------------------------
    > >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.

    The poster's responses are embedded within the original text of your message.

    "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE4D9EDE-8BB3-46B6-8C81-10CE93AB99D5@microsoft.com...
    >I am totally new to this newsgroup, and do not know what inline is. Please
    > explain.
    >
    > "george" wrote:
    >
    >> inline...
    >>

    >> "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Doug!
    >> > I tried both ways you showed me to reinstate my administrative account,
    >> > but
    >> > on the first one, it made me put in a password, which I do not know. So
    >> > it
    >> > would not add me back as administrator. None of our other passwords would
    >> > work either. The second way did not work because every time I went into
    >> > safe
    >> > mode, and I did ctr/alt/del the other welcome window would not come up.
    >> > Is
    >> > there another way? To make it more clear what happened, I was
    >> > administrator.
    >> > I then set up another administrative account, and I do not know why I did
    >> > this, I guess I was experimenting, and I set my major admin account as
    >> > limited, and made the new one the admin account, which I do not know the
    >> > password for. When I look at the list of users, all of the accounts are
    >> > there, but I cannot use any of them.
    >>
    >> As you can see the list of users I infer that you apparently ARE able to get
    >> into the system (in safe mode?)
    >>
    >> In that case you might try the following.
    >> get a 30-day trail copy of Hyena (http://www.systemtools.com/hyena/)
    >> That will list (among others) your users and you will be able to make your
    >> original account 'Administrator' a member of the group 'Administrators' and
    >> possibly assign a new password.
    >> I've seen the behaviour in XP Home that when accounts are made 'Limited',
    >> they vanish from the Welcome screen.
    >> They stay on the system, but have become unusable.
    >> 'Limited' translates to the group 'Power Users', but that group does not
    >> exist in Home Ed, thus leaving the accounts member of a group the OS does
    >> not understand.
    >>
    >> hth
    >>
    >> george
    >>

    >> > I want to either use the admin account
    >> > I first set up, or use the other one, but neither of them are listed in
    >> > user
    >> > account. My son's name and password does not work either, and he is not
    >> > listed on the user account page either. Neither is my guest account.
    >> > Hope
    >> > you can help. Thanks, Rhonda

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    For CTRL-ALT-DEL to work at the Welcome Screen, no user can be logged on. So if you're logged on to a limited User account, log off.

    >> >I am running xp pro, and when I type administrator and then either try to
    >> > enter a password or leave it blank, it says it cannot be done?

    This part of your post indicates that the operating system is telling you something (error message or similar) when you try this.

    What you may need to do is use a Linux based utility to reset (or eliminate) the password on the administrator level account that you can't get into.

    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/editor.html

    The above link is for a site that has the tools, and instructions on how to do this.

    "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33031EBE-1367-4D56-A883-506803E96544@microsoft.com...
    >I did not mean to say that it said it cannot be done. It just does not work.
    > I tried 3 or 4 ways to correct this problem, and so far none work. If I go
    > to the welcome screen and c/a/del twice, nothing happens. If I go into safe
    > mode and try and change it, it does not change it. I am really getting
    > desperate. I need to get my administrative status back. I cannot make any
    > changes to my system, I cannot download or anything. I hope this clarifies
    > what problems I am having. Thanks Rhonda
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> What do you mean "cannot be done"? Please provide the exact text of the messsage.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "dbzrocks" <dbzrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84E9EE2F-F569-4AD2-8EA9-1AC6529A32F7@microsoft.com...
    >> >I am running xp pro, and when I type administrator and then either try to
    >> > enter a password or leave it blank, it says it cannot be done? I really need
    >> > help with this. I have not been able to do anything with my computer since
    >> > this happened last week. When I hit control/alt/del twice, it does not bring
    >> > up the 2000 welcome window. I did not have 2000 previously. Can I do
    >> > anything from the user list? thanks for any help you can give. rhonda

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I do not know what inline is? Could you please explain?

    "george" wrote:

> [...]
    > > help I was already given did not work. Thank you Rhonda
    >
    > There are various tools on the net that can be used to get a hold of the
    > password of the account named 'Administrator', but that is only a secondary
    > problem for you, because apparently your 'administrator' account(s) no
    > longer have 'administrator' privileges.
    > There are tools that can be used to gain access, but so far I've only been
    > able to find 'payable' ones, like Emergency Repair Commander from
    > Winternals.com. Such a tool will allow you get into your system (even with a
    > normal user status) and change things that you could not change through Safe
    > Mode (like writing in the registry!), but I'm not sure if it will allow you
    > changes to 'elevate' a given account to 'administrator' status.
    > Unfortunately I have no setup to 'mimic' your situation, but possibly
    > someone else has the ultimate bright idea. (Doug??)

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I would like to share how I finally figured out how to change my account back
    to aministrator. When I set up my computer, my son sean was also admin. I
    went to the signin screen and wrote his name and it took me into his site.
    Since he is admin, I just changed my limited account back to administrator.
    I then went back to my signin, wrote my name in, and went to users to make
    sure it changed it back. And, it changed me back and all of my other
    accounts came up too. It might be a good idea to keep this information, as
    now you know how to change a limited account back to an admin account.
    Remember, to do this, there must be someone else on the computer listed as
    admin, and you must sign in and change the limited account there. Sincerely,
    Rhonda Hogan

    "dbzrocks" wrote:

    > I was administrator on my computer. I added another administrative account
    > and made my first one limited, but now none of my or my son's accounts
    > appear, and there is no administrative account on my computer. If I look at
    > the list of users, it shows my administrative account and many others, but
    > they are not accessible. I cannot use my computer as there is no
    > administrator. How do I get my original administrative account back. The
    > help I was already given did not work. Thank you Rhonda

Computers Microsoft Windows XP