changing language

Dear friendly helper
If I have to change language on my computer i have to buy a new version of
XP in another language, but if I have to change my chnage my version, will I
not loos all my other programs on the disc???

Thank you for your help!!!
5 answers Last reply
More about changing language

    If your harddrive is large enough, you can create two (2) partitions for a
    dual boot in different languages. Your apps may not work from one drive
    to the other. You'll just have two completely different OS (Operating
    Systems)
    on your harddrive. You'll probably need about an 80gig HD to do it. Your
    problem now is to partition your "C" drive and you'll need a third party app
    to create one. Installing a separate harddrive may be a better way to go.
    External harddrives can be installed and also used for that purpose. Maybe
    someone else reading this post may have a better solution. Good luck. :~)
    --
    Today is the first day of the rest of
    your life.

    "kimmo" wrote:

    > Dear friendly helper
    > If I have to change language on my computer i have to buy a new version of
    > XP in another language, but if I have to change my chnage my version, will I
    > not loos all my other programs on the disc???
    >
    > Thank you for your help!!!

    You may have to work all in one language, English or French but not both
    mixed.

    It is good to user one OS and one language all through out your PC. We
    English have never been compatible with the French.

    http://military.accaw.org/barbque/

    May GOD bless America and our US American Troops.

    Best regards,

    Gary Adams
    LsuEdu At Msn Dot Com
    http://melvillehighschool.us
    "Imagination...is the irrepressible revolutionist."

    Byte wrote:
    > If your harddrive is large enough, you can create two (2) partitions
    > for a dual boot in different languages. Your apps may not work from
    > one drive
    > to the other. You'll just have two completely different OS (Operating
    > Systems)
    > on your harddrive. You'll probably need about an 80gig HD to do it.
    > Your problem now is to partition your "C" drive and you'll need a
    > third party app to create one. Installing a separate harddrive may
    > be a better way to go. External harddrives can be installed and also
    > used for that purpose. Maybe someone else reading this post may have
    > a better solution. Good luck. :~)

    No they can't. TTBOMK, no system will boot from an external hard drive. If
    the drive is accidentally switched off, there may be a chance that, if the
    drive was bootable, it won't be when it's turned back on.

    Operating systems have to be installed on internal drives.

    kimmo wrote:
    > Dear friendly helper
    > If I have to change language on my computer i have to buy a new
    > version of XP in another language, but if I have to change my chnage
    > my version, will I not loos all my other programs on the disc???
    >
    > Thank you for your help!!!

    No, you will 'lose' them. 'Loos' is the plural of the UK colloquial for
    toilet. You will lose everything because it has to be installed clean.
    Whilst Byte is technically correct in that you can dual boot, there is
    really no point because you'll have to reinstall all your applications
    anyway, as you won't be able to access your applications from the other
    installation, applications must be reinstalled under each installation of
    the OS. You would be able to access your documents, but you may have to
    acquire ownership of them.

    > No they can't. TTBOMK, no system will boot from an external hard drive. If
    > the drive is accidentally switched off, there may be a chance that, if the
    > drive was bootable, it won't be when it's turned back on.
    >
    > Operating systems have to be installed on internal drives.

    Just an add on, you can boot to an external drive (even USB drives) if you
    have a BIOS that supports it. I have a number of Gigabyte boards that
    support it. You can, with this particular make, boot to USB devices such as
    ZIP, FDD, CDROM, and HDD all from advanced BIOS features.

    Galen
    --

    "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability with
    which he prefaced it, was,

    Sherlock Holmes

Computers Microsoft Windows XP