installing service pack2

Tags:
  • Floppy Disk
  • Windows XP
May 11, 2005 8:46:01 PM

I am installing SP2 on my computer for the first time. I'm understanding
that I need to make a backup disk. I got wizard to talk me through it and it
asked if i want to back up my whole system I said yes, now what i'm
wondering, is can I just back it up on the hard drive, will this take up alot
of memory. I am having a whole other set of problems with my floppy drive so
it seems I can't back up to a floppy. Will I have to wait until I figure out
my floppy drive issues before I can install the SP2.
Also I have a C: local disk and a E: local disk do I need to back up both or
will it back up everything on it's own?
Thanks for any help
Monique
--
I have windows xp with a cable internet connection.
I have no networked computers.

More about : installing service pack2

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 11:20:58 PM

sweetleaf wrote:
> I am installing SP2 on my computer for the first time. I'm
> understanding that I need to make a backup disk. I got wizard to talk
> me through it and it asked if i want to back up my whole system I
> said yes, now what i'm wondering, is can I just back it up on the
> hard drive, will this take up alot of memory. I am having a whole
> other set of problems with my floppy drive so it seems I can't back
> up to a floppy. Will I have to wait until I figure out my floppy
> drive issues before I can install the SP2. Also I have a C: local
> disk and a E: local disk do I need to back up both or will it back up
> everything on it's own? Thanks for any help
> Monique

Hello Monique,

I'll suppose (which is really not fair) that you are using Windows' Backup program. You need to figure out how much space your current setup uses, and how much free space remains on your disk(s). C must be the so-called hard-disk drive.
Do you know if E is a CD or DVD drive .... or another hard-disk ?

On your Windows Desktop, double-click the MY Computer icon. It will bring up a view of My (your) Computer and all of its Disk Drives and the "Removable" disk drives.
Take a good look at columns for Total size and Free space. The amount of free space is a key (for more than 1 reason).

How does it show your E drive? Local disk or ??

Reply back here & I'll help you thru this.

Also, do some reading *before* you get SP2.
See Windows XP SP2 - FAQs & Best Practices
http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16

Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----
May 11, 2005 11:20:59 PM

Maurice,
I have read and re-read so many tips, check lists and helpful hints that I
have been finding in Microsoft help. Which is a big help, except when I get
into it,like the third step I tried on my own I hit a wall. I'm scared.
Should me and my limited computer knowledge be attempting to install the
service pack. I have had intentions on doing it ever since I bought my
computer, but I keep reading and finding things that either confuse me or out
right scares me.
I'm not too sure if i am using a window's back up program. When I bought the
computer I had to purchase Xp and take it to the guy who built it to install
it. (He's the one who said that I didn't need or want the SP2 or updates on
it ) :s
I have a local disk C: that says under 'total size' 58.5 GB with 38.2GB
free.(samsung1203n disk drive)The E: is called 'new volume' local disk with
53.2 GB 'total size' and 53GB free, in there is an application called wab,
and a folder called identities. My CD driver is D: and there is a removable
disk F:

I would really like to do this for myself, and I feel so much better with
help.
Thank you for your help
Monique

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> I'll suppose (which is really not fair) that you are using Windows' Backup program. You need to figure out how much space your current setup uses, and how much free space remains on your disk(s). C must be the so-called hard-disk drive.
> Do you know if E is a CD or DVD drive .... or another hard-disk ?
>
> On your Windows Desktop, double-click the MY Computer icon. It will bring up a view of My (your) Computer and all of its Disk Drives and the "Removable" disk drives.
> Take a good look at columns for Total size and Free space. The amount of free space is a key (for more than 1 reason).
>
> How does it show your E drive? Local disk or ??
>
> Reply back here & I'll help you thru this.
>
> Also, do some reading *before* you get SP2.
> See Windows XP SP2 - FAQs & Best Practices
> http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16
>

> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----

May 12, 2005 2:51:49 AM

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
<snip>
> Also, do some reading *before* you get SP2.
> See Windows XP SP2 - FAQs & Best Practices
> http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16

You're a sweetheart, Maurice!

Here's some *mow* info for Sweetleaf:

Installing WinXP SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2getinstall

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx

What to Know Before Downloading/Installing SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...

Installing SP2 Step-by-Step
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insthowto

Troubleshooting Your Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insttshoot

WinXP SP2 FAQ: What to do after installing SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2installed

WinXP SP2 Homepage
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

WinXP SP2 FAQ
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2installed

WinXP SP2 Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxps...

Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

WinXP SP2 Features at a Glance
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/features.mspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Backup all your important data, i.e., documents etc to a folder on your E:
drive. You can easily do this by cut and paste or drag and drop.
Forget about your floppy. The floppy drive is ok for a file or two but a
full system backup would take hundreds of floppies. A CD or DVD is far
better.
I take it that you have either a boxed retail copy of xp or your pc
manufacturer's recovery disks? If this is the case your own personal
documents are more important to backup than the whole system. After all you
can always reinstall xp - you can't undelete your personal documents if the
system crashes and will not start again (well not without great difficulty)
If you really want to backup the whole drive then forget the windows xp
backup program. What you need is something like Norton Ghost. This will
create a complete image of the drive. If anything goes wrong you can then
use Ghost to reimage the drive back to your C partition.
I have two 80GB hard drives on my system. The first one is divided into four
partitions of 20GB each and houses four operating systems along with
relevant software applications. The second drive i keep for my personal
files and backup images of the operating systems.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

!