Sign in with
Your question

Problems installing Win98 on new system

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 21, 2004 6:26:51 AM

I just built my new computer. I used all new parts, including the HDD.
I partitioned the HDD using Fdisk, then I formatted it to install Windows 98. (I'll be going to XP Pro but only have an Upgrade disk)
So, I installed '98 up to the point where it wants to restart after installing the hardware. The problem is with the reboot, it got just past the "Starting Windows 98" screen, then I get a blank screen with an error message:

It says that there was a problem with "vnetbios.vxd"
Press a key to continue

then I get another screen saying:

While initializing device NDIS:
Windows protection Error. You need to restart the computer.

I managed to finish the installation of the hardware in the setup but the next time it rebooted it halted again, with the same error message. I can't get into Windows at all except through Safe mode but pretty much straight away Explorer crashes and I can't do anything.

I can get to the DOS Prompt and try to get into Windows that way, but I'm presented with a different message:

VFAT Device Initialization Failed
A device or recourse required by VFAT is not presented or is unavailable. VFAT cannot continue loading.

System Halted._

So now I don't really know what to do.
BTW, I've formatted twice because I also had problems the first time and couldn't even get this far through the installation. Atleast the second time I've gotten this far, but I've still hit a brick wall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

865PE Neo2-P Platinum Edition
AMI Bios Version 3.31a
Celeron 2600
Legend 256mb DDR
Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT
Starlight 350W PSU 3.3V/15A 5V/15A 12V/9A
Seagate Barracuda 40GB IDE1
Sony DVD DDU1211 IDE2
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 2:05:26 PM

Quote:
(I'll be going to XP Pro but only have an Upgrade disk)

If your plan is to install XP after installing 98, then don't do it. Just boot from the XP upgrade CD and install it that way. At some point it will ask you to put the 98 CD in to verify that you are eligible for an upgrade, then you take it out and put the XP CD back in and continue. That is the only time that you need the 98 CD.

August 21, 2004 8:31:53 PM

If I remember correctly, the XP Pro upgrade only works for Win 2000 users. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember it being that way. If you wanted to upgrade from 98, you have to have a Home Edition upgrade.

If you can upgrade to Pro from 98 though, do exactly what KlutZ said... boot from the upgrade CD and go through setup. It will prompt you for the other CD. Also, make sure you use NTFS as your file system, as it's very much superior to FAT32.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
Related resources
August 22, 2004 2:15:37 AM

XP Pro can upgrade from 98, I've done it before on another system.

The problem with just booting from the XP CD though is that when you run SETUP, you get a message saying
"This program can only be run from Windows".
Atleast I do anyway, same thing happened on the other system I installed it on a couple of years ago.

It _has_ to be an upgrade :/ 

AMI Bios Version 3.31a
Celeron 2600
Legend 256mb DDR
Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT
Sony DVD DDU1211 IDE2
August 22, 2004 2:56:24 AM

Sounds like hardware problems, try underclocking EVERYTHING.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 22, 2004 4:41:59 AM

I haven't overclocked anything... how do I underclock it?

AMI Bios Version 3.31a
Celeron 2600
Legend 256mb DDR
Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT
Sony DVD DDU1211 IDE2
August 22, 2004 5:14:08 AM

Set the bus speed and RAM speed lower in BIOS. This takes the stress off several components, the most likely causes of hardware issues being RAM and power. Underclocking increases the systems tolerance to power issues, reduces power draw a hair, and stabilizes memory in one shot, so it's an easy way to test certain hardware issues.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 23, 2004 4:59:22 PM

Got a NIC?

IIRC, everytime I've had this error (vnetbios.vxd) it had to do with installing a ethernet/NIC card.

If you do have a NIC, maybe just reformat/reinstall and forget the NIC till after the upgrade to XP.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE
August 25, 2004 3:46:00 PM

Hmmm.. I've only done it once... and with a Home Edition upgrade. I was able to boot from the CD, Windows setup started and I was prompted to insert the 98/ME/2000 CD.

*Shrug*

Which CD are you booting from? The 98 or XP CD? Sounds like you're booting from the 98 CD then inserting the upgrade and typing setup at the command prompt. That shouldn't be necessary... you should be able to boot from the upgrade CD and Windows setup will run automatically.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
!