Upgrade

Is there a lot to upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP? And will it affect
the programs I have on my system

That's not an easy question to answer other than yes, your programs will be
affected.

Run the configuration checks at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx

You will need new versions of Anti-Virus, Firewalls, CD/DVD burning apps
just for starters.

Personally, I would not upgrade 98 era hardware at this time. Considering
the costs (both the purchase of XP as well as the repurchase of different
applications) of the upgrade alone you'd be well into the purchase of new
hardware typically.

--
Walter Clayton

"TeddyOBoy" <TeddyOBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a lot to upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP? And will it
> affect
> the programs I have on my system

I have sevral Win98 components in my computer and they still function for the
most part as for hardware anyway.
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum first release, hardware drivers work
and a certified, software pack add-ins are quarky and crash. I have had this
card since I ran win98se.
IBM harddrive deskstar 2000 model, full compatibility
Maxtor Harddrive 1998 Model, full compatibility
Abit NF7 mobo, ran 98se for awhile then upgraded when 98 lost major support

However, depending on the age of the component systems are in our computer
the harder it will be to find a certified driver. Issues like what has
already been siad are just typical of a standard OS microsoft makes, which
has limited reverse compatibility every 2 versions.
"TeddyOBoy" wrote:

> Is there a lot to upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP? And will it affect
> the programs I have on my system

TeddyOBoy <TeddyOBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there a lot to upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP? And will it affect
>the programs I have on my system

Also see MVP Gary Woodruffs article on upgrading at
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--