Defragment

How do you defragment in safe mode in Windows XP?

Edna
4 answers Last reply
More about defragment

    Either open a Windows Explorer window, right click on the drive you want to defragment and select Properties, Tools and the Defrag button.

    Or, open a command prompt window and type in DEFRAG X: where X is the drive you want to defragment.

    And last, but not least, see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Add Defrag to Explorer's Context Menu. This will add Defrag to the right click menu in Windows Explorer.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "serena1951" <serena1951@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12B364B8-921F-4512-999D-4E42515C4660@microsoft.com...
    > How do you defragment in safe mode in Windows XP?
    >
    > Edna

    I know how to defrag, but it takes forever. I was told to defrag in safe
    mode and that it is faster. How do you do that. I know you hit F8 when you
    start up the computer, but what do you do after that? That is where I get
    lost.

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Either open a Windows Explorer window, right click on the drive you want to defragment and select Properties, Tools and the Defrag button.
    >
    > Or, open a command prompt window and type in DEFRAG X: where X is the drive you want to defragment.
    >
    > And last, but not least, see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Add Defrag to Explorer's Context Menu. This will add Defrag to the right click menu in Windows Explorer.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "serena1951" <serena1951@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12B364B8-921F-4512-999D-4E42515C4660@microsoft.com...
    > > How do you defragment in safe mode in Windows XP?
    > >
    > > Edna

    Hi,

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    Once in Safe mode, the steps Doug gave you are exactly the same. In WinXP
    however, there is no real need to do it this way and you will likely not see
    any significant difference in the amount of time needed. Defragging in safe
    mode in older Win9x systems was often necessary to minimize interference
    from other applications.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    >I know how to defrag, but it takes forever. I was told to defrag in safe
    > mode and that it is faster. How do you do that. I know you hit F8 when
    > you
    > start up the computer, but what do you do after that? That is where I get
    > lost.
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Either open a Windows Explorer window, right click on the drive you want
    >> to defragment and select Properties, Tools and the Defrag button.
    >>
    >> Or, open a command prompt window and type in DEFRAG X: where X is the
    >> drive you want to defragment.
    >>
    >> And last, but not least, see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Add Defrag
    >> to Explorer's Context Menu. This will add Defrag to the right click menu
    >> in Windows Explorer.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    >> Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "serena1951" <serena1951@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How do you defragment in safe mode in Windows XP?
    >> >
    >> > Edna

    Thanks, I managed to do it.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > How to start in Safe mode:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
    >
    > Once in Safe mode, the steps Doug gave you are exactly the same. In WinXP
    > however, there is no real need to do it this way and you will likely not see
    > any significant difference in the amount of time needed. Defragging in safe
    > mode in older Win9x systems was often necessary to minimize interference
    > from other applications.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "serena1951" <serena1951@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I know how to defrag, but it takes forever. I was told to defrag in safe
    > > mode and that it is faster. How do you do that. I know you hit F8 when
    > > you
    > > start up the computer, but what do you do after that? That is where I get
    > > lost.
    > >
    > > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Either open a Windows Explorer window, right click on the drive you want
    > >> to defragment and select Properties, Tools and the Defrag button.
    > >>
    > >> Or, open a command prompt window and type in DEFRAG X: where X is the
    > >> drive you want to defragment.
    > >>
    > >> And last, but not least, see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Add Defrag
    > >> to Explorer's Context Menu. This will add Defrag to the right click menu
    > >> in Windows Explorer.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > >> Display\Security
    > >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com
    > >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    > >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    > >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    > >>
    > >> "serena1951" <serena1951@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Safe Mode Defragment Microsoft Windows XP