Adding A Start Menu Shortcut

On my XP Pro machine, I've forgotten how I once added a shortcut
to one of my folders (New 8)to the top of the Start Menu...
underneath the Internet, Email and Windows Update icons. It's
the fourth icon down from the top left of the menu. I put the
shortcut there for easy access, and now I want to change it, but
I can't remember how I put it there. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Thanks!
Scott
10 answers Last reply
More about adding start menu shortcut

    Scott wrote:
    > On my XP Pro machine, I've forgotten how I once added a shortcut
    > to one of my folders (New 8)to the top of the Start Menu...
    > underneath the Internet, Email and Windows Update icons. It's
    > the fourth icon down from the top left of the menu. I put the
    > shortcut there for easy access, and now I want to change it, but
    > I can't remember how I put it there. Can anyone refresh my memory?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

    You say you want to change it. You can remove it with a right-click and
    "Remove from this list"
    To put another shortcut on this list, you can right-click and choose "pin to
    Start menu" if the option exists. Otherwise, put the shortcut on your
    desktop, drag it to the Taskbar and over the Start button. When the Start
    menu opens, continue draging the shortcut to the position you prefer in the
    top left of the menu.

    If you just want to change spots, or rather, the order of your items in the
    start menu...you can just drag them. That is if I'm talking about the same
    thing you are, by clicking start, then, under your name there are items
    listed. Just click and drag the one you want to move to the spot you want
    it placed.

    "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
    > Scott wrote:
    >> On my XP Pro machine, I've forgotten how I once added a shortcut
    >> to one of my folders (New 8)to the top of the Start Menu...
    >> underneath the Internet, Email and Windows Update icons. It's
    >> the fourth icon down from the top left of the menu. I put the
    >> shortcut there for easy access, and now I want to change it, but
    >> I can't remember how I put it there. Can anyone refresh my memory?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Scott
    >
    > You say you want to change it. You can remove it with a right-click and
    > "Remove from this list"
    > To put another shortcut on this list, you can right-click and choose "pin
    > Start menu" if the option exists. Otherwise, put the shortcut on your
    > desktop, drag it to the Taskbar and over the Start button. When the Start
    > menu opens, continue draging the shortcut to the position you prefer in
    > the
    > top left of the menu.

    Ivee,

    I tried that with no success. The shortcut folder I want to eliminate
    (New 8) sits directly under the Windows Update icon near the top left
    of the Start Menu, and I can't drag it or move it anywhere. Nor can
    I right-click and remove it. I tried dragging a shortcut from the
    desktop and placing it on the Start menu, but it doesn't stick. I
    know I put the New 8 folder there at one time, but I can't remember
    how. Is it possible that I have the Start Menu set up somewhere to
    not allow any changes to it?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    lvee wrote:

    > If you just want to change spots, or rather, the order of your items in the
    > start menu...you can just drag them. That is if I'm talking about the same
    > thing you are, by clicking start, then, under your name there are items
    > listed. Just click and drag the one you want to move to the spot you want
    > it placed.
    >
    > "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
    > > Scott wrote:
    > >> On my XP Pro machine, I've forgotten how I once added a shortcut
    > >> to one of my folders (New 8)to the top of the Start Menu...
    > >> underneath the Internet, Email and Windows Update icons. It's
    > >> the fourth icon down from the top left of the menu. I put the
    > >> shortcut there for easy access, and now I want to change it, but
    > >> I can't remember how I put it there. Can anyone refresh my memory?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!
    > >> Scott
    > >
    > > You say you want to change it. You can remove it with a right-click and
    > > "Remove from this list"
    > > To put another shortcut on this list, you can right-click and choose "pin
    > > Start menu" if the option exists. Otherwise, put the shortcut on your
    > > desktop, drag it to the Taskbar and over the Start button. When the Start
    > > menu opens, continue draging the shortcut to the position you prefer in
    > > the
    > > top left of the menu.

    Are you able to move any of the other items?

    You may gave turned the drag & drop function off, to check right click the
    start menu>properties>start menu>customize>advance tab> scroll to enable
    dragging and dropping and make sure there is a check next to it.

    If you are using Classic windows menu style, you can't use the Pin/Unpin
    function.

    If those don't work, then you can search the registry. post back if you
    want to search for the folder in the registry.

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 01:07:20 -0500, Scott wrote:

    > Ivee,
    >
    > I tried that with no success. The shortcut folder I want to eliminate
    > (New 8) sits directly under the Windows Update icon near the top left
    > of the Start Menu, and I can't drag it or move it anywhere. Nor can
    > I right-click and remove it. I tried dragging a shortcut from the
    > desktop and placing it on the Start menu, but it doesn't stick. I
    > know I put the New 8 folder there at one time, but I can't remember
    > how. Is it possible that I have the Start Menu set up somewhere to
    > not allow any changes to it?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

    If you're using the XP style start menu, right click on the item and select
    "Unpin from Start Menu."

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 01:07:20 -0500, Scott wrote:

    > Ivee,
    >
    > I tried that with no success. The shortcut folder I want to eliminate
    > (New 8) sits directly under the Windows Update icon near the top left
    > of the Start Menu, and I can't drag it or move it anywhere. Nor can
    > I right-click and remove it. I tried dragging a shortcut from the
    > desktop and placing it on the Start menu, but it doesn't stick. I
    > know I put the New 8 folder there at one time, but I can't remember
    > how. Is it possible that I have the Start Menu set up somewhere to
    > not allow any changes to it?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

    PS: If using Windows Classic start menu, right click the Start button and
    select Explore. Any shortcut that is outside of the Programs folder will
    appear at the top of the initial pop up of the start menu. Move it into the
    Programs folders. If already there (quite possible it is in both places),
    then just delete this unwanted duplicate shortcut.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Ivee,

    Hey, you were right! Under the advance tab, I discovered I had unchecked
    "enable dragging and dropping". When I enabled this function, no problem
    getting rid of old shortcut and dragging a new one from the desktop to
    the same place on the Start menu. (By the way, I'm using the XP Style
    Start menu).

    Thanks much!
    Scott

    Sharon F wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 May 2005 01:07:20 -0500, Scott wrote:
    >
    > > Ivee,
    > >
    > > I tried that with no success. The shortcut folder I want to eliminate
    > > (New 8) sits directly under the Windows Update icon near the top left
    > > of the Start Menu, and I can't drag it or move it anywhere. Nor can
    > > I right-click and remove it. I tried dragging a shortcut from the
    > > desktop and placing it on the Start menu, but it doesn't stick. I
    > > know I put the New 8 folder there at one time, but I can't remember
    > > how. Is it possible that I have the Start Menu set up somewhere to
    > > not allow any changes to it?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Scott
    > >

    > If you're using the XP style start menu, right click on the item and select
    > "Unpin from Start Menu."
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon,

    Problem solved! See post above.

    Scott

    Good job, well done..an easy fix, that's the best kind.

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 15:00:21 -0500, Scott wrote:

    > Sharon,
    >
    > Problem solved! See post above.

    Great! Glad to hear this is working for you now.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Start Menu Windows XP