Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dialing my Verizon phone like a modem

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 8:53:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I've got the FutureDial data cable from RadioShack for my Audiovox
phone with Verizon service. Can I get this going with Windows dialup
networking (how?) or do I need the FutureDial software? Currently,
I've got the USB driver for the Audiovox phone, but I don't see the
phone from a list of modems on my XP system.

thanks!

Chuck
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 12:16:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On 28 Jun 2004 16:53:54 -0700, cwyatt@rcn.com (Chuck Wyatt) wrote:

>I've got the FutureDial data cable from RadioShack for my Audiovox
>phone with Verizon service. Can I get this going with Windows dialup
>networking (how?) or do I need the FutureDial software? Currently,
>I've got the USB driver for the Audiovox phone, but I don't see the
>phone from a list of modems on my XP system.
>
>thanks!
>
>Chuck

Check out the Audiovox section on www.howardforums.com. They should
have you covered.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 5:09:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On 28 Jun 2004 16:53:54 -0700, Chuck Wyatt wrote:

> Currently,
> I've got the USB driver for the Audiovox phone, but I don't see the
> phone from a list of modems on my XP system.

You have to install the "14400 Generic Modem" from the "add hardware"
wizard. If your phone is "modem compatible" it should work.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 6:11:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote in message news:<1bbuvwjz64ao5.13bkq6lp2p77d.dlg@40tude.net>...
> On 28 Jun 2004 16:53:54 -0700, Chuck Wyatt wrote:

> You have to install the "14400 Generic Modem" from the "add hardware"
> wizard. If your phone is "modem compatible" it should work.


Gotcha. So it seems the downside is that you have to connect at this
low bit-rate. I wonder if the FutureDial software somehow makes it
connect faster?

Thanks so much for the suggestion.

-Chuck
July 1, 2004 1:14:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Chuck Wyatt <cwyatt@rcn.com> wrote:
: Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote in message news:<1bbuvwjz64ao5.13bkq6lp2p77d.dlg@40tude.net>...
: > On 28 Jun 2004 16:53:54 -0700, Chuck Wyatt wrote:

: > You have to install the "14400 Generic Modem" from the "add hardware"
: > wizard. If your phone is "modem compatible" it should work.


: Gotcha. So it seems the downside is that you have to connect at this
: low bit-rate. I wonder if the FutureDial software somehow makes it
: connect faster?

Is this an old phone incapable of connecting at higher data rates? If
not, you should be able to connect at faster speeds using Verizon's 3G
network. With my Nokia 3589i, I had to install a modem driver
specifically for the 3G network.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:20:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On 30 Jun 2004 14:11:17 -0700, Chuck Wyatt wrote:

> Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote in message news:<1bbuvwjz64ao5.13bkq6lp2p77d.dlg@40tude.net>...
>> On 28 Jun 2004 16:53:54 -0700, Chuck Wyatt wrote:
>
>> You have to install the "14400 Generic Modem" from the "add hardware"
>> wizard. If your phone is "modem compatible" it should work.
>
>
> Gotcha. So it seems the downside is that you have to connect at this
> low bit-rate. I wonder if the FutureDial software somehow makes it
> connect faster?
>
> Thanks so much for the suggestion.
>
> -Chuck

Actually, I use the FutureDial cable and USB driver on mine.
Unfortunately, unless you buy the high speed data option (or have it with
your AC package), VZW will only let you connect at 14.4.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:23:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On 30 Jun 2004 21:14:33 GMT, Andrew wrote:

> Is this an old phone incapable of connecting at higher data rates? If
> not, you should be able to connect at faster speeds using Verizon's 3G
> network. With my Nokia 3589i, I had to install a modem driver
> specifically for the 3G network.

Nope. It's a relatively new phone. You can't connect at 3G speeds unless
you either already have the option with your package, or buy it as an extra
charge.

14.4 is as good as it gets on the regular 1X netwpork.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:23:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote:

>On 30 Jun 2004 21:14:33 GMT, Andrew wrote:
>
>> Is this an old phone incapable of connecting at higher data rates? If
>> not, you should be able to connect at faster speeds using Verizon's 3G
>> network. With my Nokia 3589i, I had to install a modem driver
>> specifically for the 3G network.
>
>Nope. It's a relatively new phone. You can't connect at 3G speeds unless
>you either already have the option with your package, or buy it as an extra
>charge.
>
>14.4 is as good as it gets on the regular 1X netwpork.

What is it exactly that you ask for to get higher speeds?



==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 4:27:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
news:2f47e0hlbsar1cdc7qussco9ecrhlsq6i9@4ax.com...
> Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote:
>
> >On 30 Jun 2004 21:14:33 GMT, Andrew wrote:
> >
> >> Is this an old phone incapable of connecting at higher data rates? If
> >> not, you should be able to connect at faster speeds using Verizon's 3G
> >> network. With my Nokia 3589i, I had to install a modem driver
> >> specifically for the 3G network.
> >
> >Nope. It's a relatively new phone. You can't connect at 3G speeds
unless
> >you either already have the option with your package, or buy it as an
extra
> >charge.
> >
> >14.4 is as good as it gets on the regular 1X netwpork.
>
> What is it exactly that you ask for to get higher speeds?
>
>
>
> ==
> Jack Hamilton
> jfh@acm.org
>
> ==
> In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and
security.
> And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
> Edward Gibbons

Have you tried to use High Speed Access?
The phone number is #777 (be sure to include the pound sign).
The username is yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com (For example
5551234567@vzw3g.com).
The password is vzw.

If this does not work call and ask for NA/MOU. Tell them you have a 1X
phone and would like to use the high speed for GET IT NOW and the phones WEB
Browser.
Do NOT mention using your computer - If you do a lot of CS reps will try to
sell you a National Access Data PLAN rather than add the NA/MOU FEATURE to
your account.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 4:27:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote:

>"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
>news:2f47e0hlbsar1cdc7qussco9ecrhlsq6i9@4ax.com...
>> Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote:
>>
>> >On 30 Jun 2004 21:14:33 GMT, Andrew wrote:
>> >
>> >> Is this an old phone incapable of connecting at higher data rates? If
>> >> not, you should be able to connect at faster speeds using Verizon's 3G
>> >> network. With my Nokia 3589i, I had to install a modem driver
>> >> specifically for the 3G network.
>> >
>> >Nope. It's a relatively new phone. You can't connect at 3G speeds
>unless
>> >you either already have the option with your package, or buy it as an
>extra
>> >charge.
>> >
>> >14.4 is as good as it gets on the regular 1X netwpork.
>>
>> What is it exactly that you ask for to get higher speeds?
>>
>>
>>
>> ==
>> Jack Hamilton
>> jfh@acm.org
>>
>> ==
>> In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and
>security.
>> And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
>> Edward Gibbons
>
>Have you tried to use High Speed Access?
> The phone number is #777 (be sure to include the pound sign).
> The username is yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com (For example
>5551234567@vzw3g.com).
> The password is vzw.
>
>If this does not work call and ask for NA/MOU. Tell them you have a 1X
>phone and would like to use the high speed for GET IT NOW and the phones WEB
>Browser.
>Do NOT mention using your computer - If you do a lot of CS reps will try to
>sell you a National Access Data PLAN rather than add the NA/MOU FEATURE to
>your account.

I have NA/MOU with Get It Now, and the above setup gives me a validation
error message.




==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 4:27:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
news:4k87e01fbq6557a287v7389ar734vlu1iu@4ax.com...
> "IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> >Have you tried to use High Speed Access?
> > The phone number is #777 (be sure to include the pound sign).
> > The username is yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com (For example
> >5551234567@vzw3g.com).
> > The password is vzw.
> >
> >If this does not work call and ask for NA/MOU. Tell them you have a 1X
> >phone and would like to use the high speed for GET IT NOW and the phones
WEB
> >Browser.
> >Do NOT mention using your computer - If you do a lot of CS reps will try
to
> >sell you a National Access Data PLAN rather than add the NA/MOU FEATURE
to
> >your account.
>
> I have NA/MOU with Get It Now, and the above setup gives me a validation
> error message.
> ==
> Jack Hamilton


Make sure the password is lower case.
July 1, 2004 11:40:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote:
: On 30 Jun 2004 21:14:33 GMT, Andrew wrote:

: > Is this an old phone incapable of connecting at higher data rates? If
: > not, you should be able to connect at faster speeds using Verizon's 3G
: > network. With my Nokia 3589i, I had to install a modem driver
: > specifically for the 3G network.

: Nope. It's a relatively new phone. You can't connect at 3G speeds unless
: you either already have the option with your package, or buy it as an extra
: charge.

: 14.4 is as good as it gets on the regular 1X netwpork.

I am getting much faster speeds than that with my 3589i and National
Access (with my America's Choice) plan. I am using #777.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 11:40:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> I am getting much faster speeds than that with my 3589i and National
> Access (with my America's Choice) plan. I am using #777.
>
> Andrew

Hmmm, maybe a dumb way to try this, but for what it's worth if I
manually dial #777 in voice mode on my phone I get a Verizon recording
of "Your call can not be completed as dialed..." I would expect to
hear some kind of prompt tone but not a recording. Maybe dialing it
only works in data mode?

-Chuck
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 8:11:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote in message news:
>
> Have you tried to use High Speed Access?
> The phone number is #777 (be sure to include the pound sign).
> The username is yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com (For example
> 5551234567@vzw3g.com).
> The password is vzw.
>
> If this does not work call and ask for NA/MOU. Tell them you have a 1X
> phone and would like to use the high speed for GET IT NOW and the phones WEB
> Browser.
> Do NOT mention using your computer - If you do a lot of CS reps will try to
> sell you a National Access Data PLAN rather than add the NA/MOU FEATURE to
> your account.

I actually did call and ask for this, and the rep wasn't really sure
what this was. She did add "Mobile Web" to the account, so perhaps
that will open up the high speed access as well?

Thanks,

Chuck
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 3:18:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I don't know if you have done this but it got my high speed connection
working with my computer.

In Control Panels
Phone and Modem Options
Open the Standard 19200 BPS Modem Properties
Under the Advanced Tab
In the Extra Settings Put in
AT$QCMDR=3

Also a good site with lots of information on using your computer with your
cell phone is:
http://www.rogerbinns.com


"Chuck Wyatt" <cwyatt@rcn.com> wrote in message
news:5b7b562c.0407021511.24462aa8@posting.google.com...
> "IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote in message news:
> >
> > Have you tried to use High Speed Access?
> > The phone number is #777 (be sure to include the pound sign).
> > The username is yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com (For example
> > 5551234567@vzw3g.com).
> > The password is vzw.
> >
> > If this does not work call and ask for NA/MOU. Tell them you have a 1X
> > phone and would like to use the high speed for GET IT NOW and the phones
WEB
> > Browser.
> > Do NOT mention using your computer - If you do a lot of CS reps will try
to
> > sell you a National Access Data PLAN rather than add the NA/MOU FEATURE
to
> > your account.
>
> I actually did call and ask for this, and the rep wasn't really sure
> what this was. She did add "Mobile Web" to the account, so perhaps
> that will open up the high speed access as well?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chuck
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 6:55:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Chuck Wyatt" <cwyatt@rcn.com> wrote in message
news:5b7b562c.0407021511.24462aa8@posting.google.com...
> "IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote in message news:
> > If this does not work call and ask for NA/MOU. Tell them you have a 1X
> > phone and would like to use the high speed for GET IT NOW and the phones
WEB
> > Browser.
> > Do NOT mention using your computer - If you do a lot of CS reps will try
to
> > sell you a National Access Data PLAN rather than add the NA/MOU FEATURE
to
> > your account.
>
> I actually did call and ask for this, and the rep wasn't really sure
> what this was. She did add "Mobile Web" to the account, so perhaps
> that will open up the high speed access as well?

Mobile Web is a feature that has monthly fee. It is used for phone browser
(WAP) access. I believe that you have a few days to reverse the change.
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 6:01:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:18:28 -0500, IMHO wrote:

> I don't know if you have done this but it got my high speed connection
> working with my computer.
>
> In Control Panels
> Phone and Modem Options
> Open the Standard 19200 BPS Modem Properties
> Under the Advanced Tab
> In the Extra Settings Put in
> AT$QCMDR=3

An easier way is to just install the Verizon EN dialer. It sets up
everything automatically, and gives you the Q2Net access as well.

http://www.randomite.com/files/VerizonWireless/Verizon_...
!