Express Network on America's Choice - I'm confused..

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 29, 2004 4:36:02 AM

I have A local regional plan with Verizon in So. Calif and have been
using the 14.4 modem since my old phone did not support the EN. Now
I'd like to start using it. Verizon tells me I need to pay $39 a month
to use the Express Network w/20mb data. I seem to remember someone
here saying that the EN would work in the Americas Choice network
without paying for the data and just "by the minute".

I really don't want to lose my "after 8pm" minutes on my local plan,
but may decide to do it if the data could be by the minute.

Another option would be to just activate my Nokia 6610 tri-band GSM
phone on Cingular or T-Mobile and use that for data now and then. No
idea which one will be better for that yet.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 4:36:03 AM

"Manny" <manny2@adelphia.net.invalid> wrote in message
> I have A local regional plan with Verizon in So. Calif and have been
> using the 14.4 modem since my old phone did not support the EN. Now
> I'd like to start using it. Verizon tells me I need to pay $39 a month
> to use the Express Network w/20mb data. I seem to remember someone
> here saying that the EN would work in the Americas Choice network
> without paying for the data and just "by the minute".
>
> I really don't want to lose my "after 8pm" minutes on my local plan,
> but may decide to do it if the data could be by the minute.
>
> Another option would be to just activate my Nokia 6610 tri-band GSM
> phone on Cingular or T-Mobile and use that for data now and then. No
> idea which one will be better for that yet.

If you have an 8pm start, then you most likely don't have Americas Choice.,
or if you have a local plan (that gives you an earlier start), then it's
most likely not a national plan, adding the option that lets you use the
minutes, is usually reserved for National Americas Choice (others have
gotten it added unofficially, but officially it requires National AC). Why
not keep your local plan for voice, and try one of the others for data?
June 29, 2004 8:51:24 AM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:27:30 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote:

>"Manny" <manny2@adelphia.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> I have A local regional plan with Verizon in So. Calif and have been
>> using the 14.4 modem since my old phone did not support the EN. Now
>> I'd like to start using it. Verizon tells me I need to pay $39 a month
>> to use the Express Network w/20mb data. I seem to remember someone
>> here saying that the EN would work in the Americas Choice network
>> without paying for the data and just "by the minute".
>>
>> I really don't want to lose my "after 8pm" minutes on my local plan,
>> but may decide to do it if the data could be by the minute.
>>
>> Another option would be to just activate my Nokia 6610 tri-band GSM
>> phone on Cingular or T-Mobile and use that for data now and then. No
>> idea which one will be better for that yet.
>
>If you have an 8pm start, then you most likely don't have Americas Choice.,
>or if you have a local plan (that gives you an earlier start), then it's
>most likely not a national plan, adding the option that lets you use the
>minutes, is usually reserved for National Americas Choice (others have
>gotten it added unofficially, but officially it requires National AC). Why
>not keep your local plan for voice, and try one of the others for data?

So you mean get a separate data plan with Verizon or with another GSM
provider like Cingular/T-mobile?

I don't have america's choice plan. I roam when out of California.
Still thinking about that separate t-mobile/cingular accout for those
occational times out-of-state and the data.
June 29, 2004 8:51:25 AM

"Manny" <mitebbots@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:27:30 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >"Manny" <manny2@adelphia.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >> I have A local regional plan with Verizon in So. Calif and have been
> >> using the 14.4 modem since my old phone did not support the EN. Now
> >> I'd like to start using it. Verizon tells me I need to pay $39 a month
> >> to use the Express Network w/20mb data. I seem to remember someone
> >> here saying that the EN would work in the Americas Choice network
> >> without paying for the data and just "by the minute".
> >>
> >> I really don't want to lose my "after 8pm" minutes on my local plan,
> >> but may decide to do it if the data could be by the minute.
> >>
> >> Another option would be to just activate my Nokia 6610 tri-band GSM
> >> phone on Cingular or T-Mobile and use that for data now and then. No
> >> idea which one will be better for that yet.
> >
> >If you have an 8pm start, then you most likely don't have Americas
Choice.,
> >or if you have a local plan (that gives you an earlier start), then it's
> >most likely not a national plan, adding the option that lets you use the
> >minutes, is usually reserved for National Americas Choice (others have
> >gotten it added unofficially, but officially it requires National AC).
Why
> >not keep your local plan for voice, and try one of the others for data?
> >

> So you mean get a separate data plan with Verizon or with another GSM
> provider like Cingular/T-mobile?
>
> I don't have America's choice plan. I roam when out of California.
> Still thinking about that separate t-mobile/cingular accout for those
> occational times out-of-state and the data.

Well, I can't say for you, but personally I had a verizon voice plan, and my
Business associates, family, and friends knew the number. I wanted data but
couldn't get it with the phone I had from verizon (wasn't due for a NE2),
and ended up keeping that voice plan on verizon, and getting a minimal
t-mobile voice/data thing with an el-cheapo phone.

It was a neat option when I was in one place, fortunately/unfortunately a
relative died, left me lots of money, and now I live and travel in my RV,
and quite a few areas I stay in don't have t-mobile service, as it turns
out, I found I can just buy a phone off ebay and activate it any time I want
on the existing verizon service, so now I have my voice and data with
verizon.
As to your initial question, because I had a national AC plan, I was able to
add the Express Network Minutes of Use (Now National Access) **OPTION** to
my current plan. (**NOT** a plan by that name, but a free *OPTION* to a
current national AC plan, not on the website and most store people won't
suggest it since it's free and they make no commission).
The point is, that when I was in one place, I saw no reason NOT to get the
best of both worlds (two carriers), and if I took the phone off the laptop,
I could always use it to make calls if the voice phone didn't work (or in
the case of t-mobile, I paid extra for a 7PM start time and used it for
voice between 7pm and 9pm). I figured as long as I had one reliable phone
with a known number, there was no reason not to experiment with other
carriers also.

Just remember, most people have an either/or mentality, I happen to
subscribe to the and/both philosophy.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 9:56:06 AM

Hi Manny,

The only way you will get the Express Network/National Access (same thing)
code on your America's Choice plan is if you have a phone capable of doing
Get It Now or Pix Messaging. You don't necessarily need to buy GIN or Pix
but you need to have the codes on your bill for it.

As GIN and Pix uses the Express Network they will have to put in a National
Access code on your bill. They should do that automatically if you ask them
to put EN/NA on your bill they will charge you an arm and a leg.

You can use Quick2Net which is 14.4kb/s for free without any setup though if
you wish to use EN/NA you have to have it enabled through another feature.
Even then you are not supposed to be using it like that, though they don't
charge you for it. When I told Verizon that I "heard" people doing that,
they started saying how I could get a $500 bill for using it, I say BS. So
EN/NA should work if you have a new phone with GIN or Pix, though don't use
it for more than 30min a week otherwise they may get pissed of and charge
you for it.

We upgraded our phones to the Audiovox CDM8900s and they enabled National
Access for us. I have not been charged for using it yet. I like the concept
of going down the freeway at 60MPH and surfing the net, I'm not driving of
course. ;)

Connecting
Create a dialup connection with the following settings:

Verizon 3G/1X Data/Express Network
a.. Select the modem. Ideally you want the serial connection to the phone
to operate at 230400 otherwise you will suffer lower throughput
b.. The phone number is #777 (be sure to include the pound sign)
c.. The username is yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com (For example
5551234567@vzw3g.com)
d.. The password is vzw
Good Luck,
Nite Rider

"Manny" <mitebbots@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:27:30 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >"Manny" <manny2@adelphia.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >> I have A local regional plan with Verizon in So. Calif and have been
> >> using the 14.4 modem since my old phone did not support the EN. Now
> >> I'd like to start using it. Verizon tells me I need to pay $39 a month
> >> to use the Express Network w/20mb data. I seem to remember someone
> >> here saying that the EN would work in the Americas Choice network
> >> without paying for the data and just "by the minute".
> >>
> >> I really don't want to lose my "after 8pm" minutes on my local plan,
> >> but may decide to do it if the data could be by the minute.
> >>
> >> Another option would be to just activate my Nokia 6610 tri-band GSM
> >> phone on Cingular or T-Mobile and use that for data now and then. No
> >> idea which one will be better for that yet.
> >
> >If you have an 8pm start, then you most likely don't have Americas
Choice.,
> >or if you have a local plan (that gives you an earlier start), then it's
> >most likely not a national plan, adding the option that lets you use the
> >minutes, is usually reserved for National Americas Choice (others have
> >gotten it added unofficially, but officially it requires National AC).
Why
> >not keep your local plan for voice, and try one of the others for data?
> >

> So you mean get a separate data plan with Verizon or with another GSM
> provider like Cingular/T-mobile?
>
> I don't have america's choice plan. I roam when out of California.
> Still thinking about that separate t-mobile/cingular accout for those
> occational times out-of-state and the data.

Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:48:02 PM

Jacob Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net> wrote:
> I just downloaded the FreeBSD 4.10 disk 1 ISO using EN this weekend.

Ouch. How many hundreds of megs? At what average speed?

> for service coverage. They *have* to compete with folks like T-mobile
> and AT&T, who both offer some agressive mobile data plans - too bad both
> of them have laughable coverage in this region - some of us do actually
> live more than 3 miles from an Interstate highway :p

Sprint has done an about-face on their policy to skip 1xEV-DO and go
directly to DV, so Verizontal is going to have direct competition in the
CDMA data arena too...