Adware Norton says "YES", MS "NO"

May 14, 2005 7:51:01 PM

I have Norton Internet Security on my XP Home. In the threat alert it states
I have AdWare on computer with message that "delete failed" above it. My MS
AntiSpyware says computer clear. I am confused.
--
Just Learning

More about : adware norton

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 12:09:35 AM

Hi,

MS Anti spyware is a beta with limited capabilities. I'm not a fan of any
Norton product, but it is more likely to be correct here.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Proud_Eagle" <ProudEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Norton Internet Security on my XP Home. In the threat alert it
>states
> I have AdWare on computer with message that "delete failed" above it. My
> MS
> AntiSpyware says computer clear. I am confused.
> --
> Just Learning
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 12:14:43 AM

On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:51:01 -0700, "Proud_Eagle"
<ProudEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have Norton Internet Security on my XP Home. In the threat alert it states
>I have AdWare on computer with message that "delete failed" above it. My MS
>AntiSpyware says computer clear. I am confused.

Run it again. It's a beta program. If it misses the next time thru it's gone.
Adaware can also be had for free. and it's not in beta testing.
May 15, 2005 7:40:01 AM

Thanks, I installed Ad-Ware SE and ran it. I just had some cookies that I
quarintined, saidnothing about adware on computer.
--
Just Learning

"Husky" wrote:

> On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:51:01 -0700, "Proud_Eagle"
> <ProudEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have Norton Internet Security on my XP Home. In the threat alert it states
> >I have AdWare on computer with message that "delete failed" above it. My MS
> >AntiSpyware says computer clear. I am confused.
>
> Run it again. It's a beta program. If it misses the next time thru it's gone.
> Adaware can also be had for free. and it's not in beta testing.
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

May 16, 2005 12:40:39 PM

Proud_Eagle wrote:
> Thanks, I installed Ad-Ware SE and ran it. I just had some cookies
> that I quarintined, saidnothing about adware on computer.

This is why M/S beta showed nothing,it doesn't report cookies,where as
Norton most likely did (tracking cookie or data miner)no big deal.

Mike Pawlak