>>HOW DO I KNOW IF MY SYSTEM IS INFECTED WITH VIRUS-

First time ownig a pc -------i'm online already for a few weeks, now i want
to install antivirus software before i do how do i know if my pc is infected,
if there is how can i remove it.(my new pc come with-norton-int'-security-
install already,can i check it with this software)
Thanks inadvance.

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/s­scv6/default.asp?langid=ie&ven­id=sym

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"miky" wrote:

| First time ownig a pc -------i'm online already for a few weeks, now i want
| to install antivirus software before i do how do i know if my pc is infected,
| if there is how can i remove it.(my new pc come with-norton-int'-security-
| install already,can i check it with this software)
| Thanks inadvance.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
Tested on: 5/14/2005 9:39:16 PM

If you have Norton Internet Security (NIS) installed, you already have an
anti-virus....Norton Anti-Virus is part of the NIS suite:
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

Read the Help file to learn how to configure the different modules. Most likely the
anti-virus is already enabled, and but the other modules (Norton Privacy Control,
Norton AntiSpam, and Norton Parental Control) may or may not be turned on by
default. The anti-virus must be updated on a regular schedule, and this is done
with the automatic Live Update feature installed with Norton (Symantec) products.

The fact that the computer came with NIS already installed may mean that it is only
a limited-time trial version which may expire after only a few months.

I don't use or care for any of the Symantec products, so I can't give you much more
info on configuring them, than that. Hopefully someone who has used the products
will give you more info. I always uninstall the trial Norton or McAfee products and
install lower-cost or free programs that do the same thing, less obtrusively.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"miky" <miky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First time ownig a pc -------i'm online already for a few weeks, now i want
> to install antivirus software before i do how do i know if my pc is infected,
> if there is how can i remove it.(my new pc come with-norton-int'-security-
> install already,can i check it with this software)
> Thanks inadvance.

Do a scan with a anti-virus program

"miky" <miky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First time ownig a pc -------i'm online already for a few weeks, now i
> want
> to install antivirus software before i do how do i know if my pc is
> infected,
> if there is how can i remove it.(my new pc come with-norton-int'-security-
> install already,can i check it with this software)
> Thanks inadvance.

Andrew Murray wrote <<Do a scan with a anti-virus program>>

I would add that this could be done -

on-line - but an active virus may block a scan and / or give a false
negative (i.e. hide the fact that viruses are present)
on your computer but it MUST be up-to-date (using Liveupdate) and the above
note also applies.
on another computer (by installing your hard disk on the other computer).
The above note on being up-to-date applies but, as the computer will not be
booted to your hard disk, there should not be anything nasty running.

I didn't see the original post in this thread so I don't know whether or not
the following has already been covered.

You should also have anti-spyware software which, like anitvirus software,
should updated and used to scan for threats EVERY day.

You should also have a properly configured firewall.

Even with all that you cannot be 100% sure that you have eliminated all
threats.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions