Documents and Settings

Following a re-installation of WinXP I found the New User Name with almost
empty folders and the previous User Name with all folders containing saved
files, such as in "My Documents".
WinXP wont let me delete the "new User". How can I get back to my old
folders?
More about documents settings

    Hi Nurmi,

    Boot tapping the F8 key as the BIOS information goes by.
    At the Windows Advanced Options menu select Safe Mode.
    On the welcome screen select Administrator.
    This is the hidden Administrator account and assuming a password was
    never assigned to it click enter.
    From there go to Start - Run and type

    control userpasswords2

    then you can select any user account and Reset Passwords, change
    account type, and add/remove accounts. I wouldn't delete any account
    until you are certain all data is accounted for.

    You may also have to take ownership of the files.
    How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:

    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://dts-l.org/

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 11:44:02 -0700, "nurmi" <nurmi@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >Following a re-installation of WinXP I found the New User Name with almost
    >empty folders and the previous User Name with all folders containing saved
    >files, such as in "My Documents".
    >WinXP wont let me delete the "new User". How can I get back to my old
    >folders?

    move the old stuff into the new user folders. Might be some things needing
    re-installed.

    Thanks Bert, I ended up with formating C -it's a long story. I had used the
    back-up progr. which comes with winxp CD. Now I found out it's useless. Can
    you recommend a good back-up Progr? Keep up the good work you saved me a lot
    of money.
    Nurmi

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Nurmi,
    >
    > Boot tapping the F8 key as the BIOS information goes by.
    > At the Windows Advanced Options menu select Safe Mode.
    > On the welcome screen select Administrator.
    > This is the hidden Administrator account and assuming a password was
    > never assigned to it click enter.
    > From there go to Start - Run and type
    >
    > control userpasswords2
    >
    > then you can select any user account and Reset Passwords, change
    > account type, and add/remove accounts. I wouldn't delete any account
    > until you are certain all data is accounted for.
    >
    > You may also have to take ownership of the files.
    > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > nurmi wrote:
    > > Following a re-installation of WinXP I found the New User
    > > Name with almost empty folders and the previous User Name
    > > with all folders containing saved files, such as in "My
    > > Documents".
    > > WinXP wont let me delete the "new User". How can I get
    > > back to my old folders?

    Hi,

    You're welcome.

    I don't use a backup program, I drag the files to another hard drive,
    network drive, or burn them to a CD for safe keeping.

    You could start a new thread asking for backup software suggestion.

    --

    nurmi wrote:
    > Thanks Bert, I ended up with formating C -it's a long
    > story. I had used the back-up progr. which comes with
    > winxp CD. Now I found out it's useless. Can you
    > recommend a good back-up Progr? Keep up the good work
    > you saved me a lot of money.
    > Nurmi
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Nurmi,
    >>
    >> Boot tapping the F8 key as the BIOS information goes by.
    >> At the Windows Advanced Options menu select Safe Mode.
    >> On the welcome screen select Administrator.
    >> This is the hidden Administrator account and assuming a
    >> password was never assigned to it click enter.
    >> From there go to Start - Run and type
    >>
    >> control userpasswords2
    >>
    >> then you can select any user account and Reset
    >> Passwords, change account type, and add/remove accounts.
    >> I wouldn't delete any account until you are certain all
    >> data is accounted for.
    >>
    >> You may also have to take ownership of the files.
    >> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> nurmi wrote:
    >>> Following a re-installation of WinXP I found the New
    >>> User Name with almost empty folders and the previous
    >>> User Name with all folders containing saved files, such
    >>> as in "My Documents".
    >>> WinXP wont let me delete the "new User". How can I get
    >>> back to my old folders?

    Thank you Bert and Husky,
    I am sorry I am so late getting back to you. I will follow your advise and
    make regular back-ups. At the moment everything is a OK on the PC. Thanks,
    you guys are doing a great job.
    Nurmi

    "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 15 May 2005 11:44:02 -0700, "nurmi"
    > <nurmi@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Following a re-installation of WinXP I found the New User Name with almost
    >>empty folders and the previous User Name with all folders containing saved
    >>files, such as in "My Documents".
    >>WinXP wont let me delete the "new User". How can I get back to my old
    >>folders?
    >
    > move the old stuff into the new user folders. Might be some things needing
    > re-installed.
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

    You're welcome Nurmi.

    --

    rico wrote:
    > Thank you Bert and Husky,
    > I am sorry I am so late getting back to you. I will
    > follow your advise and make regular back-ups. At the
    > moment everything is a OK on the PC. Thanks, you guys are
    > doing a great job. Nurmi
    >
    > "Husky" wrote
    >>
    >>> Following a re-installation of WinXP I found the New
    >>> User Name with almost empty folders and the previous
    >>> User Name with all folders containing saved files, such
    >>> as in "My Documents". WinXP wont let me delete the "new User".
    >>> How can I get
    >>> back to my old folders?
    >>
    >> move the old stuff into the new user folders. Might be
    >> some things needing re-installed.
    >> --
    >> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

My Documents Microsoft Windows XP