Asus P4P800 vs. Abit IS7-e

kikkler

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2003
what do you say ? which board is better ? I'm especially looking for a good overclocking board, but of course it also has to performn well in stock speeds
which one would you take and why ?

spoondigity

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
I have seen a lot of complaints about the Abit's chipset cooling fan going out quickly. You may need to eventually look at alternative cooling solutions for the chipset if you go with an abit. No first hand experience on this but I have seen posts from three or more sites that address this.

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
All the reviews I've seen put the IS7 ahead of the P4P800 performance-wise. Asus has a better reputation for quality, whereas Abit has a reputation for overclockability. Side by side, no one can really tell the difference without the assistance of metrics.

Regards,

Dave

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Have seen a slew of posts recently ref Asus mainboard problems - don't know if it's because they sell more boards and have a resulting higher # of DOA, failures, etc.
Crashman tells me that Abit's cutomer service is by far superior to Asus.

But Officer, I wasn't speeding - I was qualifying ...

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Have seen a slew of posts recently ref Asus mainboard problems
Yeah, I've seen them too, but it seems to mostly be for their nForce2 stuff. Also Abit's RMA service is a little more palatable than Asus's-- probably because Abit is smaller. Now, Soltek: they answer my emails within 24 hours, always. I have yet to RMA a Soltek board (I've only installed 3, though), so I have yet to deal with thier RMA services.

While I'm on the topic, a note to EVERYONE:
Keep your original invoices in a <b>SAFE, SECURE</b> location. Copy your invoices, too. If a company has to rely on your S/N, you run the risk of your product going OW sooner than you'd like, Plus, you may not be eligible for advance replacement.

Dave

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
hmm thats intresting because all the reviews i have read say the Asus is faster and is better for OCing, but the abit has better native features onboard the chipset instead of using 3rd party chips to support onboard features such as GLan Firewire and SATA.

The abit got the better reviews because of this but Asus is always the performance leader.

XeeN

kikkler

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2003
ahhm i was also thinking abou the Abit IC7 875i
you think it'll give me better performances and OCing ability ?

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
As of RIGHT NOW, the IS7 is a better deal (having as good, mostly better, performance due to re-enabling PAT)

Many articles on Tom's and Anand's sites.

Dave

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1831" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1831</A>

The Abit part seems to have a slight edge over Asus in that review. THG hasn't done a comprehensive one, so who can tell?

Again, I'll repeat my previous statement and say that no one can tell a difference between the two without some type of detailed metrics.

Dave

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I like Abit, but I have the P4P800. I have a 2.8 clock at 3.34 with a stock fan and two low speed fans with some fast setting in the BIOS. The HT is enabled and I believe that is the same as PAT. I can’t run my DDR 2400 memory at cas 2 , or DDR 400, but haven’t tried lowering other settings to see if I could and this memory was just to hold me over anyways. Out side of that I haven’t had any problems in the last few weeks and only had to reboot the PC once when my kid got the PC to hang in GTA3.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.