Onstar and Verizon Teamed up. Great

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 29, 2004 1:30:47 AM

06/16/2004

As of July 12 you now can add verizon to your onstar and share you
mins and night and weekends

BEDMINSTER, NJ and TROY, MI — Verizon Wireless, the nation’s leading
wireless service provider, and OnStar, the nation’s leading provider
of in-vehicle safety, security and information services, announced
today the availability of the America’s ChoiceSM with OnStar service
plan. With the new plan, customers can use their Verizon Wireless
phones outside the vehicle and send calls from their handheld phones
to OnStar-embedded in-vehicle phones. America’s Choice with OnStar is
the first calling plan that integrates handheld wireless service with
a fully embedded, voice-activated in-vehicle phone and gives customers
the convenience and simplicity of receiving one bill.

“The America’s Choice with OnStar calling plan lets our customers use
their Verizon Wireless minutes inside their OnStar-equipped vehicles,
giving them access to our award-winning wireless service with the
additional conveniences of hands-free voice-activated dialing and a
single bill,” said John Stratton, chief marketing officer for Verizon
Wireless.

“Through our relationships with the world’s largest automaker and the
nation’s leading wireless provider, we are able to respond to our
subscribers’ requests to offer increased mobile connectivity,” said
Chet Huber, president of OnStar, a wholly owned subsidiary of General
Motors. “The availability of this handheld option is a natural
extension of OnStar’s industry leadership in the delivery of safety,
security and communications inside the vehicle.”

The America’s Choice with OnStar plan lets customers use their Verizon
Wireless plan minutes to make and receive calls on their handheld
Verizon Wireless phones and OnStar in-vehicle phones and drivers can
simply transfer incoming calls from their Verizon Wireless handset to
the embedded phone in their OnStar-equipped General Motors vehicle.
Customers can select from two options:

* Immediate Call Forwarding – Customers can forward all calls from
their Verizon Wireless handheld phones directly to their in-vehicle
OnStar phones.
* Conditional Call Forwarding – Customers can select to have the
Verizon Wireless handheld phones ring four to five times before the
call is forwarded to the in-vehicle OnStar phone. With this option,
subscribers have the flexibility of answering either their handheld or
in-vehicle phone.

In mid July, Verizon Wireless’ America’s Choice with OnStar plan will
be available in the Atlanta, Kansas City, New York, San Francisco and
the greater metro Detroit markets. The service will continue to
rollout and should be available throughout the Verizon Wireless
service area in the following several months.

“Hands-free, cell phone communication in the automobile is one of the
top wireless applications vehicle owners are interested in,” said
Thilo Koslowski, lead automotive analyst and vice president, Gartner.
“A successful communication solution will focus on reliability,
flexibility and affordability by allowing customers to continue using
their existing cellular phones and service contracts when making calls
from their vehicles.”

The affordability of digital makes the America’s Choice with OnStar
calling plan possible. OnStar’s improved digital hardware allows for
more secure calling, improved voice recognition and faster, continuous
digit dialing. The embedded digital phone is compatible with CDMA
wireless service.

OnStar subscribers with new OnStar digital hardware can sign up for
the America’s Choice with OnStar service plan by updating existing
Verizon Wireless customer agreements or by obtaining a new Verizon
Wireless agreement. OnStar subscribers can learn more about the
calling plan by contacting OnStar at the toll-free number,
888-4-ONSTAR (888-466-7827). New OnStar subscribers will receive
information about the plan from OnStar during the first few months of
their subscription.

About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the nation’s leading provider of wireless
communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice
and data network and 40 million customers. Headquartered in
Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon
Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more
information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive
broadcast-quality video footage of Verizon Wireless operations, log
onto www.thenewsmarket.com/verizonwireless.

About OnStar
OnStar, available on more than 50 models from General Motors and
select models from six other auto manufacturers, is the nation’s
leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information
services using the Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite network
and wireless technology. OnStar services include automatic
notification of air bag deployment, stolen vehicle location
assistance, emergency services, roadside assistance with location,
remote door unlock, GM Goodwrench remote vehicle diagnostics, route
support and convenience services. OnStar Personal Calling allows
drivers to make and receive hands-free, voice-activated phone calls
through a nationwide cellular network and access a wide range of other
information services. Additional information is available at
www.onstar.com .

####

Keyword Search
Tips
Top Stories

Verizon Wireless Embellece los Destellos del 4 de Julio

Verizon Wireless Issues Alert to Consumers Regarding LG TM-510 Phone
Batteries

Verizon Wireless CEO Calls for Preserving Customer Privacy and Open
Competition at Yankee Group Wireless Summit

Verizon Wireless Introduces the America's Choice with OnStar Plan

Related Topics

Press Kit (PDF: 67 KB)
Network Overview
Executive Leadership
Community Service
Wireless Issues

To view the press kit, you may need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors,
disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent
theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will
only add to the overall beauty of the post.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 6:31:36 AM

"Steve" <smartfix1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:p hh1e01adibiheafr4uo0aea91sg64kt35@4ax.com...
> 06/16/2004
>
> As of July 12 you now can add verizon to your onstar and share you
> mins and night and weekends

I hate to pop your bubble, but Verizon has been providing service to
"OnStar" customers all along, this is nothing new.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 6:31:37 AM

farinasinsurance@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>> As of July 12 you now can add verizon to your onstar and share you
>> mins and night and weekends
>
> I hate to pop your bubble, but Verizon has been providing service to
> "OnStar" customers all along, this is nothing new.

You didn't read.

June 29, 2004 7:12:41 AM

farinasinsurance@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> "Steve" <smartfix1@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:p hh1e01adibiheafr4uo0aea91sg64kt35@4ax.com...
>
>>06/16/2004
>>
>>As of July 12 you now can add verizon to your onstar and share you
>>mins and night and weekends
>

> I hate to pop your bubble, but Verizon has been providing service to
> "OnStar" customers all along, this is nothing new.

Actually - this is something new. Before if you wanted to make regular
calls from you OnStar system, you had to subscribe to Personal Calling
though OnStar and you'd get a seperate phone number from them and the
bills for calls would come from OnStar (actually it was more a prepaid
plan.) Now they are saying you'll be able to tie your Verizon phone
into the personal calling, so you'll forward your cell phone to your car
while you are in your car and your normal calls will go to your OnStar.
Any billing that needs to be done goes directly onto .pch Verizon
bill instead of a seperate bill from OnStar.

Rich
June 29, 2004 6:23:48 PM

Rich <mathwhiz@mathwhiz.org> wrote in message news:<J65Ec.108677$2i5.31935@attbi_s52>...
> farinasinsurance@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> > "Steve" <smartfix1@excite.com> wrote in message
> > news:p hh1e01adibiheafr4uo0aea91sg64kt35@4ax.com...
> >
> >>06/16/2004
> >>
> >>As of July 12 you now can add verizon to your onstar and share you
> >>mins and night and weekends
> >

> > I hate to pop your bubble, but Verizon has been providing service to
> > "OnStar" customers all along, this is nothing new.
>
> Actually - this is something new. Before if you wanted to make regular
> calls from you OnStar system, you had to subscribe to Personal Calling
> though OnStar and you'd get a seperate phone number from them and the
> bills for calls would come from OnStar (actually it was more a prepaid
> plan.) Now they are saying you'll be able to tie your Verizon phone
> into the personal calling, so you'll forward your cell phone to your car
> while you are in your car and your normal calls will go to your OnStar.
> Any billing that needs to be done goes directly onto .pch Verizon
> bill instead of a seperate bill from OnStar.
>
> Rich

There is Good News in the announcement. They sort of left out the Bad
News.

You have to have an OnStar equiped vehicle with the TriBand service.
Only put into vehicles manufactured since March or April, maybe. Hope
they change that part of it to allow the older vehicles to use this
service - OnStar is just too expensive for "part time" cellular
service since I have a "full time" service anyway. When enough people
try to get the announced service and cannot, maybe they will gripe
enough to cause these providers to change the policy. OnStar does do
a better job of getting service though - antenna and booster in the
system do the job fairly well. Almost as good as the Motorola
MicroTac analog phone with the full in-car 3 watt booster kit I had in
1999!!!
June 30, 2004 2:54:55 AM

On 29 Jun 2004 14:23:48 -0700, cmeng@yahoo.com (charley) wrote:

>Rich <mathwhiz@mathwhiz.org> wrote in message news:<J65Ec.108677$2i5.31935@attbi_s52>...
>> farinasinsurance@sbcglobal.net wrote:
>> > "Steve" <smartfix1@excite.com> wrote in message
>> > news:p hh1e01adibiheafr4uo0aea91sg64kt35@4ax.com...

>> > I hate to pop your bubble, but Verizon has been providing service to
>> > "OnStar" customers all along, this is nothing new.
>>
>> Actually - this is something new. Before if you wanted to make regular
>> calls from you OnStar system, you had to subscribe to Personal Calling
>> though OnStar and you'd get a seperate phone number from them and the
>> bills for calls would come from OnStar (actually it was more a prepaid
>> plan.) Now they are saying you'll be able to tie your Verizon phone
>> into the personal calling, so you'll forward your cell phone to your car
>> while you are in your car and your normal calls will go to your OnStar.
>> Any billing that needs to be done goes directly onto .pch Verizon
>> bill instead of a seperate bill from OnStar.
>>
>> Rich
Hello ALL

When we use Onstar in our trucks we never drop calls units work great.
Very happy with the cell unit in our trucks. Just a note on your
post.Your hit the nail on the head ALL Ver 6 onstar units will work on
verizon/CDMA. all ver 5 and down are analog. We just got new trucks
and have Ver 6. The new plans for for ver 6 are great and much
cheaper. July 12 will have free nights and weekends and other cool
stuff VER 6 Only 2004.5 and up

From Steve

>There is Good News in the announcement. They sort of left out the Bad
>News.
>
>You have to have an OnStar equiped vehicle with the TriBand service.
>Only put into vehicles manufactured since March or April, maybe. Hope
>they change that part of it to allow the older vehicles to use this
>service - OnStar is just too expensive for "part time" cellular
>service since I have a "full time" service anyway. When enough people
>try to get the announced service and cannot, maybe they will gripe
>enough to cause these providers to change the policy. OnStar does do
>a better job of getting service though - antenna and booster in the
>system do the job fairly well. Almost as good as the Motorola
>MicroTac analog phone with the full in-car 3 watt booster kit I had in
>1999!!!

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors,
disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent
theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will
only add to the overall beauty of the post.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 30, 2004 4:43:59 AM

Any way to know if you have version 5 or 6 or whatever?

> On 29 Jun 2004 14:23:48 -0700, cmeng@yahoo.com (charley) wrote:
>
> >Rich <mathwhiz@mathwhiz.org> wrote in message

> >> Actually - this is something new. Before if you wanted to make regular
> >> calls from you OnStar system, you had to subscribe to Personal Calling
> >> though OnStar and you'd get a seperate phone number from them and the
> >> bills for calls would come from OnStar (actually it was more a prepaid
> >> plan.) Now they are saying you'll be able to tie your Verizon phone
> >> into the personal calling, so you'll forward your cell phone to your
car
> >> while you are in your car and your normal calls will go to your OnStar.
> >> Any billing that needs to be done goes directly onto .pch Verizon
> >> bill instead of a seperate bill from OnStar.
> >>
> >> Rich
> Hello ALL
>
> When we use Onstar in our trucks we never drop calls units work great.
> Very happy with the cell unit in our trucks. Just a note on your
> post.Your hit the nail on the head ALL Ver 6 onstar units will work on
> verizon/CDMA. all ver 5 and down are analog. We just got new trucks
> and have Ver 6. The new plans for for ver 6 are great and much
> cheaper. July 12 will have free nights and weekends and other cool
> stuff VER 6 Only 2004.5 and up
>
> From Steve
> >
> >There is Good News in the announcement. They sort of left out the Bad
> >News.
> >
> >You have to have an OnStar equiped vehicle with the TriBand service.
> >Only put into vehicles manufactured since March or April, maybe. Hope
> >they change that part of it to allow the older vehicles to use this
> >service - OnStar is just too expensive for "part time" cellular
> >service since I have a "full time" service anyway. When enough people
> >try to get the announced service and cannot, maybe they will gripe
> >enough to cause these providers to change the policy. OnStar does do
> >a better job of getting service though - antenna and booster in the
> >system do the job fairly well. Almost as good as the Motorola
> >MicroTac analog phone with the full in-car 3 watt booster kit I had in
> >1999!!!
>
> Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors,
> disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent
> theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will
> only add to the overall beauty of the post.
June 30, 2004 4:26:18 PM

Check out OnStar's FAQs - especially #5 on this page:
http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/faq/not_faq_main.j...

Rich

!