Services running

I click Start>run>msconfig>services tab and see a lot of services running,
very few labelled as essential. Trouble is I don't know what the other ones
are. I right click on them hoping to find a properties option but don't.
For example, "Wireless Zero Configuration" is running but I don't know what
that (among many) means and I don't have any wireless connections, one
computer, one cable modem, everything like printers, monitors, etc. are
connected by wires.

I got into this because my Norton anti-virus automatic update wasn't running
and I couldn't turn it on. Symantec said to go into module I described and
turn on "task scheduler" and that did fix the problem, even though it is not
labelled as "essential." But, what are all the other things? If I uncheck
them, even though not essential, is something else I need not going to run.
(No idea how "task scheduler" got unchecked.)

Thanks.

Chet

Start here: http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

CGB wrote:
> I click Start>run>msconfig>services tab and see a lot of services running,
> very few labelled as essential. Trouble is I don't know what the other
> ones are. I right click on them hoping to find a properties option but
> don't. For example, "Wireless Zero Configuration" is running but I don't
> know what that (among many) means and I don't have any wireless
> connections, one computer, one cable modem, everything like printers,
> monitors, etc. are connected by wires.
>
> I got into this because my Norton anti-virus automatic update wasn't
> running and I couldn't turn it on. Symantec said to go into module I
> described and turn on "task scheduler" and that did fix the problem, even
> though it is not labelled as "essential." But, what are all the other
> things? If I uncheck them, even though not essential, is something else
> I need not going to run. (No idea how "task scheduler" got unchecked.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chet

Thanks PA Bear

However, I may just let everything run! Problem is I when I run
services.msc and find "Windows User Mode Driver Framework" which "Enables
Windows user mode drivers." , it might as well be Greek. I have no idea
what all this stuff means! Simple things like task scheduler, etc. I
understand.

Maybe sometime when I really feel masochistic, I'll try to wade through some
of that stuff

Chet

> Start here: http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> CGB wrote:
> > I click Start>run>msconfig>services tab and see a lot of services
running,
> > very few labelled as essential. Trouble is I don't know what the other
> > ones are. I right click on them hoping to find a properties option but
> > don't. For example, "Wireless Zero Configuration" is running but I don't
> > know what that (among many) means and I don't have any wireless
> > connections, one computer, one cable modem, everything like printers,
> > monitors, etc. are connected by wires.
> >
> > I got into this because my Norton anti-virus automatic update wasn't
> > running and I couldn't turn it on. Symantec said to go into module I
> > described and turn on "task scheduler" and that did fix the problem,
even
> > though it is not labelled as "essential." But, what are all the other
> > things? If I uncheck them, even though not essential, is something else
> > I need not going to run. (No idea how "task scheduler" got unchecked.)
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Chet

Check here for description of Services and suggested settings for each

http://web.archive.org/web/20041128084144/http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm