How to log in as Administartor..?

jacob

Hi,
I am an novice user of Windows XP. After some experiments with its 'multiple
user account' feature I landed upon the following problem. Please help.

1. I created a new user called 'tiger' and provided a password.(user type
'computer administrator')

2. I continued using my default 'Administrator' account along with the new
user account.

3. After some days I found a new user in the name of 'ASP.net Machine A..'
in the users list (user type 'limited') . I suspect this happened after I
install 'donetfix.exe' from Microsoft.

4. I then changed the account type of 'Asp.Net..'into 'Computer Administrator'

5. I then changed the account type of 'tiger' into 'Limited'.

6. I then changed 'change the way users log in' into allow fast user
switching.

7. Here comes the problem. - I am now not able to log in into my PC with
the default 'Administrator' account. Windows shows only the 'tiger' account
(Limited) in the 'Logon screen'. Is there any way for me log-in with my
default 'Administrator' username & password..?

Thanks in advance,
Regards
APJ

The ASP.NET account should not be an Administrator. This could lead to possible exploits by malicious software.

If you're running XP Pro, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the Welcome Screen, with no other users logged on. You'll get the old Win2K style logon dialog.

For XP Home, you must boot the computer into Safe Mode to access the built-in Administrator account. It will show up on the Welcome screen after you've booted into Safe Mode.

To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen (XP Pro only) , visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section. Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account .......

This small VB Script will make the registry change necessary for the Administrator account to be available on the Welcome Screen.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Jacob" <Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BFF360B5-A356-4794-80C6-377B5F97E04E@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I am an novice user of Windows XP. After some experiments with its 'multiple
> user account' feature I landed upon the following problem. Please help.
>
> 1. I created a new user called 'tiger' and provided a password.(user type
> 'computer administrator')
>
> 2. I continued using my default 'Administrator' account along with the new
> user account.
>
> 3. After some days I found a new user in the name of 'ASP.net Machine A..'
> in the users list (user type 'limited') . I suspect this happened after I
> install 'donetfix.exe' from Microsoft.
>
> 4. I then changed the account type of 'Asp.Net..'into 'Computer Administrator'
>
> 5. I then changed the account type of 'tiger' into 'Limited'.
>
> 6. I then changed 'change the way users log in' into allow fast user
> switching.
>
> 7. Here comes the problem. - I am now not able to log in into my PC with
> the default 'Administrator' account. Windows shows only the 'tiger' account
> (Limited) in the 'Logon screen'. Is there any way for me log-in with my
> default 'Administrator' username & password..?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Regards
> APJ

DrD

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

This is my first time using the message board. Sorry if this question is in
the wrong place or posted incorrectly.

About the Administrator stuff...
I should be the administrator of my computer. There are 3 other users. How
do I set it up to make sure that only I can make changes? (I may already have
done this, but helpful tips to check the accuracy of what I set up would be
appreciated).

Also, if I could ask one more question...
About parental controls...
I blocked out so many things on the list (like nudity, war, etc.), yet
things like porn still pop up when researching something completely innocent.
Also, the password I set up to by-pass this (I think that was what it was
for) seems to pop up when I am trying to access my hotmail! This doesn't seem
right. Does anyone know how to properly configure the parental controls so
the administrator has complete access, and to limit the topics accordingly so
a woman like myself can look up the La Senza website or flyer for example, to
see current specials without being blocked due to sexual attire?

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> The ASP.NET account should not be an Administrator. This could lead to possible exploits by malicious software.
>
> If you're running XP Pro, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the Welcome Screen, with no other users logged on. You'll get the old Win2K style logon dialog.
>
> For XP Home, you must boot the computer into Safe Mode to access the built-in Administrator account. It will show up on the Welcome screen after you've booted into Safe Mode.
>
> To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen (XP Pro only) , visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section. Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account .......
>
> This small VB Script will make the registry change necessary for the Administrator account to be available on the Welcome Screen.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Jacob" <Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BFF360B5-A356-4794-80C6-377B5F97E04E@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I am an novice user of Windows XP. After some experiments with its 'multiple
> > user account' feature I landed upon the following problem. Please help.
> >
> > 1. I created a new user called 'tiger' and provided a password.(user type
> > 'computer administrator')
> >
> > 2. I continued using my default 'Administrator' account along with the new
> > user account.
> >
> > 3. After some days I found a new user in the name of 'ASP.net Machine A..'
> > in the users list (user type 'limited') . I suspect this happened after I
> > install 'donetfix.exe' from Microsoft.
> >
> > 4. I then changed the account type of 'Asp.Net..'into 'Computer Administrator'
> >
> > 5. I then changed the account type of 'tiger' into 'Limited'.
> >
> > 6. I then changed 'change the way users log in' into allow fast user
> > switching.
> >
> > 7. Here comes the problem. - I am now not able to log in into my PC with
> > the default 'Administrator' account. Windows shows only the 'tiger' account
> > (Limited) in the 'Logon screen'. Is there any way for me log-in with my
> > default 'Administrator' username & password..?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Regards
> > APJ

XP has a built in Administrator account that is normally "hidden", hence the need for different methods of access. This account should not be used for every day tasks. If it becomes corrupted, and you don't have another administrator level user, you could well be screwed. Its your back door in, in case of major problems. One way to prevent other users from making changes is to see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Windows XP Security Console. This utility allows you to apply a large number of restrcictions on a per user basis.

Unfortunately, the Content Advisor is machine wide. If you need more granular control, look into programs like NetNanny, CyberPatrol and others.