How do I Format CDs

I am trying to format CDs using Windows XP Professional. The help system
tells me I go to File and the command format will be avaialable but its not
there?

Whats going on?
24 answers Last reply
More about format

    Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third party program
    that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD.

    In Windows Explorer, on the CD Writing Tasks list, can you use the option to "Erase
    files on CD-RW"?

    Also, to format a CD, the disc must be a CD-RW, and the drive must be a CD-RW drive
    or a DVD writer. What type of drive and disc are you using?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Mike Nevin" <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to format CDs using Windows XP Professional. The help system
    > tells me I go to File and the command format will be avaialable but its not
    > there?
    >
    > Whats going on?

    Funny! I format CD-R disks "all the time"!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third
    > party program
    > that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD.
    >
    > In Windows Explorer, on the CD Writing Tasks list, can you use the option
    > to "Erase
    > files on CD-RW"?
    >
    > Also, to format a CD, the disc must be a CD-RW, and the drive must be a
    > CD-RW drive
    > or a DVD writer. What type of drive and disc are you using?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "Mike Nevin" <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I am trying to format CDs using Windows XP Professional. The help system
    >> tells me I go to File and the command format will be avaialable but its
    >> not
    >> there?
    >>
    >> Whats going on?

    Since I don't have a CD-RW drive currently in my XP machine, why don't you tell us
    how it's done, then?
    --

    > Funny! I format CD-R disks "all the time"!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > > Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third
    > > party program
    > > that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD.
    > >
    > > In Windows Explorer, on the CD Writing Tasks list, can you use the option
    > > to "Erase
    > > files on CD-RW"?
    > >
    > > Also, to format a CD, the disc must be a CD-RW, and the drive must be a
    > > CD-RW drive
    > > or a DVD writer. What type of drive and disc are you using?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "Mike Nevin" <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I am trying to format CDs using Windows XP Professional. The help system
    > >> tells me I go to File and the command format will be avaialable but its
    > >> not
    > >> there?
    > >>
    > >> Whats going on?

    http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/SW00013.htm

    <quote>
    Windows XP cannot format a CD-RW disc for UDF packet writing, but it will accept
    unformatted CD-RW media. Unformatted CD-RW media is treated the same as CD-R, and
    you can copy files or folders to the disc, but you can only erase the entire disc,
    not the individual files. When using CD-RW media, only the "quick erase" function is
    supported by the Operating System.

    If DirectCD or other packet writing software application is installed, and the CD-RW
    disc is formatted with that software, then the CD-RW disc works normally under
    Windows XP as a large floppy, and individual files can then be deleted.
    </quote>

    How do *you* do it, Richard, without third-party software installed?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Funny! I format CD-R disks "all the time"!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > > Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third
    > > party program
    > > that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD.
    > >
    > > In Windows Explorer, on the CD Writing Tasks list, can you use the option
    > > to "Erase
    > > files on CD-RW"?
    > >
    > > Also, to format a CD, the disc must be a CD-RW, and the drive must be a
    > > CD-RW drive
    > > or a DVD writer. What type of drive and disc are you using?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "Mike Nevin" <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I am trying to format CDs using Windows XP Professional. The help system
    > >> tells me I go to File and the command format will be avaialable but its
    > >> not
    > >> there?
    > >>
    > >> Whats going on?

    Guys

    Thanks for this sdiscussion. I guess in summary you are telling me that I
    need to get some disc writing software to format CDs?

    Best Wishes

    Mike

    "glee" wrote:

    > http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/SW00013.htm
    >
    > <quote>
    > Windows XP cannot format a CD-RW disc for UDF packet writing, but it will accept
    > unformatted CD-RW media. Unformatted CD-RW media is treated the same as CD-R, and
    > you can copy files or folders to the disc, but you can only erase the entire disc,
    > not the individual files. When using CD-RW media, only the "quick erase" function is
    > supported by the Operating System.
    >
    > If DirectCD or other packet writing software application is installed, and the CD-RW
    > disc is formatted with that software, then the CD-RW disc works normally under
    > Windows XP as a large floppy, and individual files can then be deleted.
    > </quote>
    >
    > How do *you* do it, Richard, without third-party software installed?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    > > Funny! I format CD-R disks "all the time"!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Richard Urban
    > >
    > > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    > >
    > > If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > >

    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third
    > > > party program
    > > > that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD.
    > > >
    > > > In Windows Explorer, on the CD Writing Tasks list, can you use the option
    > > > to "Erase
    > > > files on CD-RW"?
    > > >
    > > > Also, to format a CD, the disc must be a CD-RW, and the drive must be a
    > > > CD-RW drive
    > > > or a DVD writer. What type of drive and disc are you using?
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > > >

    > > > "Mike Nevin" <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Format or Erase?

    Formatting is done with third party packet writing software, and is not
    usually necessary in an XP system using ISO9660. WinXP is only capable of
    the Erase function with CDRW media, which just clears the disk of all data.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    > Funny! I format CD-R disks "all the time"!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    >> Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third
    >> party program
    >> that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD.
    >>
    >> In Windows Explorer, on the CD Writing Tasks list, can you use the option
    >> to "Erase
    >> files on CD-RW"?
    >>
    >> Also, to format a CD, the disc must be a CD-RW, and the drive must be a
    >> CD-RW drive
    >> or a DVD writer. What type of drive and disc are you using?
    >> --
    >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >>

    >> "Mike Nevin" <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I am trying to format CDs using Windows XP Professional. The help
    >>> system
    >>> tells me I go to File and the command format will be avaialable but its
    >>> not
    >>> there?
    >>>
    >>> Whats going on?

    Hi Mike,

    Why do you think you need to format them? Most CDR media is already
    formatted for normal disk writing. Formatting is usually only necessary for
    packet writing.

    --

    > Guys
    >
    > Thanks for this sdiscussion. I guess in summary you are telling me that I
    > need to get some disc writing software to format CDs?
    >
    > Best Wishes
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/SW00013.htm
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> Windows XP cannot format a CD-RW disc for UDF packet writing, but it will
    >> accept
    >> unformatted CD-RW media. Unformatted CD-RW media is treated the same as
    >> CD-R, and
    >> you can copy files or folders to the disc, but you can only erase the
    >> entire disc,
    >> not the individual files. When using CD-RW media, only the "quick erase"
    >> function is
    >> supported by the Operating System.
    >>
    >> If DirectCD or other packet writing software application is installed,
    >> and the CD-RW
    >> disc is formatted with that software, then the CD-RW disc works normally
    >> under
    >> Windows XP as a large floppy, and individual files can then be deleted.
    >> </quote>
    >>
    >> How do *you* do it, Richard, without third-party software installed?
    >> --
    >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >>

    >> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Funny! I format CD-R disks "all the time"!
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Regards,
    >> >
    >> > Richard Urban
    >> >
    >> > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >> >
    >> > If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    >> >

    >> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

    Rick

    Because when I put a CD in the drive it doesn't recognise that there isa one
    there???!! I can only assume its because its not formatted?

    Mike

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Why do you think you need to format them? Most CDR media is already
    > formatted for normal disk writing. Formatting is usually only necessary for
    > packet writing.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Mike Nevin" <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Guys
    > >
    > > Thanks for this sdiscussion. I guess in summary you are telling me that I
    > > need to get some disc writing software to format CDs?
    > >
    > > Best Wishes
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > "glee" wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/SW00013.htm
    > >>
    > >> <quote>
    > >> Windows XP cannot format a CD-RW disc for UDF packet writing, but it will
    > >> accept
    > >> unformatted CD-RW media. Unformatted CD-RW media is treated the same as
    > >> CD-R, and
    > >> you can copy files or folders to the disc, but you can only erase the
    > >> entire disc,
    > >> not the individual files. When using CD-RW media, only the "quick erase"
    > >> function is
    > >> supported by the Operating System.
    > >>
    > >> If DirectCD or other packet writing software application is installed,
    > >> and the CD-RW
    > >> disc is formatted with that software, then the CD-RW disc works normally
    > >> under
    > >> Windows XP as a large floppy, and individual files can then be deleted.
    > >> </quote>
    > >>
    > >> How do *you* do it, Richard, without third-party software installed?
    > >> --
    > >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >>

    > >> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 05:01:03 -0700, "Mike Nevin"
    <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Rick
    >
    >Because when I put a CD in the drive it doesn't recognise that there isa one
    >there???!! I can only assume its because its not formatted?

    possible wrong assumption. It took me weeks to find out my DVD writer would not
    write to DVD-R's but had no problem with DVD+R's.
    With CD-R's it has no problem.
    Apples and oranges. Are you talking CD or DVD ?
    My 1st week, I wasn't even aware of DVD disks. I was trying to write DVD media
    to a CD.

    >Mike
    >
    >"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Mike,
    >>
    >> Why do you think you need to format them? Most CDR media is already
    >> formatted for normal disk writing. Formatting is usually only necessary for
    >> packet writing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Mike Nevin" <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Guys
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for this sdiscussion. I guess in summary you are telling me that I
    >> > need to get some disc writing software to format CDs?
    >> >
    >> > Best Wishes
    >> >
    >> > Mike

    Mike, I suggest you might want to start a new thread, either here or in:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    There are more people there. Also, just tell what has happened from start to
    end, as there is no need for you to diagnose or assume anything. By just
    giving the symptoms, the group will solve your problem, as it has come up in
    the past.

    Mike Nevin wrote:
    > Rick
    >
    > Because when I put a CD in the drive it doesn't recognise that there
    > isa one there???!! I can only assume its because its not formatted?
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Mike,
    >>
    >> Why do you think you need to format them? Most CDR media is already
    >> formatted for normal disk writing. Formatting is usually only
    >> necessary for packet writing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Mike Nevin" <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Guys
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for this sdiscussion. I guess in summary you are telling me
    >>> that I need to get some disc writing software to format CDs?
    >>>
    >>> Best Wishes
    >>>
    >>> Mike

    I place the CD in the tray. I right click on the Drag-To-Disk icon in my
    notification tray. I choose "format". After it is done I can write one, or
    many files directly to the CD using Explorer or my file manager program. I
    can delete one, or many, files (does not free up space though) from the CD
    after they have been written. I can run a repair on the CD if the file
    tables get screwy!

    So you see, all you need is the proper program to accomplish this, Roxio
    Drag-to-disk or Nero InCD.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > Since I don't have a CD-RW drive currently in my XP machine, why don't you
    > tell us
    > how it's done, then?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    >> Funny! I format CD-R disks "all the time"!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> > Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third
    >> > party program
    >> > that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD.
    >> >
    >> > In Windows Explorer, on the CD Writing Tasks list, can you use the
    >> > option
    >> > to "Erase
    >> > files on CD-RW"?
    >> >
    >> > Also, to format a CD, the disc must be a CD-RW, and the drive must be a
    >> > CD-RW drive
    >> > or a DVD writer. What type of drive and disc are you using?
    >> > --
    >> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >> >

    >> > "Mike Nevin" <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    So then, you did not read my replies in this thread before making your comment?
    I stated first thing in my original reply:

    > I place the CD in the tray. I right click on the Drag-To-Disk icon in my
    > notification tray. I choose "format". After it is done I can write one, or
    > many files directly to the CD using Explorer or my file manager program. I
    > can delete one, or many, files (does not free up space though) from the CD
    > after they have been written. I can run a repair on the CD if the file
    > tables get screwy!
    >
    > So you see, all you need is the proper program to accomplish this, Roxio
    > Drag-to-disk or Nero InCD.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > > Since I don't have a CD-RW drive currently in my XP machine, why don't you
    > > tell us
    > > how it's done, then?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >
    > > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Funny! I format CD-R disks "all the time"!
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Richard Urban
    > >>
    > >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    > >>
    > >> If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > >>

    > >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

    Sorry. I missed that.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > So then, you did not read my replies in this thread before making your
    > comment?
    > I stated first thing in my original reply:
    > "Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third
    > party program
    > that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD."
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    >> I place the CD in the tray. I right click on the Drag-To-Disk icon in my
    >> notification tray. I choose "format". After it is done I can write one,
    >> or
    >> many files directly to the CD using Explorer or my file manager program.
    >> can delete one, or many, files (does not free up space though) from the
    >> CD
    >> after they have been written. I can run a repair on the CD if the file
    >> tables get screwy!
    >>
    >> So you see, all you need is the proper program to accomplish this, Roxio
    >> Drag-to-disk or Nero InCD.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> > Since I don't have a CD-RW drive currently in my XP machine, why don't
    >> > you
    >> > tell us
    >> > how it's done, then?
    >> > --
    >> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >> >
    >> > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Also, you said it has to be CD-RW to format. That is not so as I format CD-R
    disks at will.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > So then, you did not read my replies in this thread before making your
    > comment?
    > I stated first thing in my original reply:
    > "Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third
    > party program
    > that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD."
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    >> I place the CD in the tray. I right click on the Drag-To-Disk icon in my
    >> notification tray. I choose "format". After it is done I can write one,
    >> or
    >> many files directly to the CD using Explorer or my file manager program.
    >> can delete one, or many, files (does not free up space though) from the
    >> CD
    >> after they have been written. I can run a repair on the CD if the file
    >> tables get screwy!
    >>
    >> So you see, all you need is the proper program to accomplish this, Roxio
    >> Drag-to-disk or Nero InCD.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> > Since I don't have a CD-RW drive currently in my XP machine, why don't
    >> > you
    >> > tell us
    >> > how it's done, then?
    >> > --
    >> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >> >
    >> > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi Mike,

    Not likely, it's more likely that the drive is having trouble recognizing
    the media for what it is. This can happen when the drive lens has some dust
    on it, usually a cheap CD lens cleaner disk will resolve this.

    --

    > Rick
    >
    > Because when I put a CD in the drive it doesn't recognise that there isa
    > one
    > there???!! I can only assume its because its not formatted?
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Mike,
    >>
    >> Why do you think you need to format them? Most CDR media is already
    >> formatted for normal disk writing. Formatting is usually only necessary
    >> for
    >> packet writing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Mike Nevin" <MikeNevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Guys
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for this sdiscussion. I guess in summary you are telling me
    >> > that I
    >> > need to get some disc writing software to format CDs?
    >> >
    >> > Best Wishes
    >> >
    >> > Mike

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    That's what I've been told and what I have read many times....that one can format a
    CD-R...though when I insert a CD-R disc, right-click InCD icon> Format, it tells me
    the disc is not supported for formatting, and to insert a CD-RW disc. As I said, I
    don't have a CD-RW drive in the XP machine right now, so my experience with InCD has
    been with an older version (3.5.24.0), on Win9x.

    ....and BTW, I wrote "Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself". I did not
    write that it *had* to be CD-RW, or that it could *not* be CD-R.
    --

    > Also, you said it has to be CD-RW to format. That is not so as I format CD-R
    > disks at will.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > > So then, you did not read my replies in this thread before making your
    > > comment?
    > > I stated first thing in my original reply:
    > > "Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third
    > > party program
    > > that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD."
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> I place the CD in the tray. I right click on the Drag-To-Disk icon in my
    > >> notification tray. I choose "format". After it is done I can write one,
    > >> or
    > >> many files directly to the CD using Explorer or my file manager program.
    > >> can delete one, or many, files (does not free up space though) from the
    > >> CD
    > >> after they have been written. I can run a repair on the CD if the file
    > >> tables get screwy!
    > >>
    > >> So you see, all you need is the proper program to accomplish this, Roxio
    > >> Drag-to-disk or Nero InCD.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Richard Urban
    > >>
    > >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    > >>
    > >> If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > >>

    > >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    OK, lets end this. This is a quote from the your first post in this thread.

    *****

    Also, to format a CD, the disc must be a CD-RW, and the drive must be a
    CD-RW drive
    or a DVD writer.

    *****

    My reply to your post was: "Funny! I format CD-R disks "all the time"!

    BYE!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > That's what I've been told and what I have read many times....that one can
    > format a
    > CD-R...though when I insert a CD-R disc, right-click InCD icon> Format, it
    > tells me
    > the disc is not supported for formatting, and to insert a CD-RW disc. As
    > I said, I
    > don't have a CD-RW drive in the XP machine right now, so my experience
    > with InCD has
    > been with an older version (3.5.24.0), on Win9x.
    >
    > ...and BTW, I wrote "Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself". I
    > did not
    > write that it *had* to be CD-RW, or that it could *not* be CD-R.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    >> Also, you said it has to be CD-RW to format. That is not so as I format
    >> CD-R
    >> disks at will.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> > So then, you did not read my replies in this thread before making your
    >> > comment?
    >> > I stated first thing in my original reply:
    >> > "Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third
    >> > party program
    >> > that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD."
    >> > --
    >> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >> >

    >> > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Yes, and if you read the rest of my replies, you will actually see what else I
    wrote.
    Buh-bye!
    --

    > OK, lets end this. This is a quote from the your first post in this thread.
    >
    > *****
    >
    > Also, to format a CD, the disc must be a CD-RW, and the drive must be a
    > CD-RW drive
    > or a DVD writer.
    >
    > *****
    >
    > My reply to your post was: "Funny! I format CD-R disks "all the time"!
    >

    > BYE!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > > That's what I've been told and what I have read many times....that one can
    > > format a
    > > CD-R...though when I insert a CD-R disc, right-click InCD icon> Format, it
    > > tells me
    > > the disc is not supported for formatting, and to insert a CD-RW disc. As
    > > I said, I
    > > don't have a CD-RW drive in the XP machine right now, so my experience
    > > with InCD has
    > > been with an older version (3.5.24.0), on Win9x.
    > >
    > > ...and BTW, I wrote "Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself". I
    > > did not
    > > write that it *had* to be CD-RW, or that it could *not* be CD-R.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Also, you said it has to be CD-RW to format. That is not so as I format
    > >> CD-R
    > >> disks at will.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Richard Urban
    > >>
    > >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    > >>
    > >> If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > >>

    > >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    So, now that you got an education you are trying to weasel your way free of
    your "authoritative comment" that in order to format a CD it MUST be a
    CD-RW. Just say you were wrong and move on. We all make mistakes in
    learning!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > That's what I've been told and what I have read many times....that one can
    > format a
    > CD-R...though when I insert a CD-R disc, right-click InCD icon> Format, it
    > tells me
    > the disc is not supported for formatting, and to insert a CD-RW disc. As
    > I said, I
    > don't have a CD-RW drive in the XP machine right now, so my experience
    > with InCD has
    > been with an older version (3.5.24.0), on Win9x.
    >
    > ...and BTW, I wrote "Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself". I
    > did not
    > write that it *had* to be CD-RW, or that it could *not* be CD-R.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    >> Also, you said it has to be CD-RW to format. That is not so as I format
    >> CD-R
    >> disks at will.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> > So then, you did not read my replies in this thread before making your
    >> > comment?
    >> > I stated first thing in my original reply:
    >> > "Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself; you must use a third
    >> > party program
    >> > that formats a CD-RW in UDF, such as Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD."
    >> > --
    >> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >> >

    >> > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I'm not "weaseling" out of anything, and your comment is not called for. I forgot
    that I left the last section of the original post in the post, as I had second
    thoughts about how true it actually was, considering the fact (as I ALREADY stated)
    that I have read many times that you *can* format a CD-R.

    I ALREADY clarified in my other replies in this post that I was basing my comment on
    my experience with the packet-writing software that I use....which does not allow
    CD-R discs to be formatted. I also stated that I don't have a CD-RW drive currently
    in my XP machine, so I cannot check what occurs there.

    Why do you continue to beat a dead horse? I thought you had already made you point,
    and said "Bye". It appears that rather than read all the replies and get the full
    picture, you are reading just the parts that make it easy for you to attack someone.
    --

    > So, now that you got an education you are trying to weasel your way free of
    > your "authoritative comment" that in order to format a CD it MUST be a
    > CD-RW. Just say you were wrong and move on. We all make mistakes in
    > learning!
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > > That's what I've been told and what I have read many times....that one can
    > > format a
    > > CD-R...though when I insert a CD-R disc, right-click InCD icon> Format, it
    > > tells me
    > > the disc is not supported for formatting, and to insert a CD-RW disc. As
    > > I said, I
    > > don't have a CD-RW drive in the XP machine right now, so my experience
    > > with InCD has
    > > been with an older version (3.5.24.0), on Win9x.
    > >
    > > ...and BTW, I wrote "Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself". I
    > > did not
    > > write that it *had* to be CD-RW, or that it could *not* be CD-R.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Also, you said it has to be CD-RW to format. That is not so as I format
    > >> CD-R
    > >> disks at will.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Richard Urban
    > >>
    > >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    > >>
    > >> If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > >>

    > >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You are in over your head here. Twice you stated that you could only format
    CD-RW disks and twice Crusty told you different. Then you come back with the
    "I meant this" bullcrap. If you can't stand to be corrected and say that you
    f**ked up, get lost!

    "glee" wrote:

    > I'm not "weaseling" out of anything, and your comment is not called for. I forgot
    > that I left the last section of the original post in the post, as I had second
    > thoughts about how true it actually was, considering the fact (as I ALREADY stated)
    > that I have read many times that you *can* format a CD-R.
    >
    > I ALREADY clarified in my other replies in this post that I was basing my comment on
    > my experience with the packet-writing software that I use....which does not allow
    > CD-R discs to be formatted. I also stated that I don't have a CD-RW drive currently
    > in my XP machine, so I cannot check what occurs there.
    >
    > Why do you continue to beat a dead horse? I thought you had already made you point,
    > and said "Bye". It appears that rather than read all the replies and get the full
    > picture, you are reading just the parts that make it easy for you to attack someone.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    > > So, now that you got an education you are trying to weasel your way free of
    > > your "authoritative comment" that in order to format a CD it MUST be a
    > > CD-RW. Just say you were wrong and move on. We all make mistakes in
    > > learning!
    > >

    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Richard Urban
    > >
    > > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    > >
    > > If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > >

    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > That's what I've been told and what I have read many times....that one can
    > > > format a
    > > > CD-R...though when I insert a CD-R disc, right-click InCD icon> Format, it
    > > > tells me
    > > > the disc is not supported for formatting, and to insert a CD-RW disc. As
    > > > I said, I
    > > > don't have a CD-RW drive in the XP machine right now, so my experience
    > > > with InCD has
    > > > been with an older version (3.5.24.0), on Win9x.
    > > >
    > > > ...and BTW, I wrote "Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself". I
    > > > did not
    > > > write that it *had* to be CD-RW, or that it could *not* be CD-R.
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > > >

    > > > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:42:19 -0400, Richard Urban wrote:

    > I place the CD in the tray. I right click on the Drag-To-Disk icon in my
    > notification tray.

    Drag to Disk is Roxio's interface to the packet writing portion of their
    program. Insert a CDRW and this module prepares it for packet writing -
    quick format or full format.

    Inserting a CDR lets you access the format menu but it doesn't appear to do
    anything but add a volume label to the disc. Not sure I would call that a
    true format and it certainly won't do anything to help with the OP's
    problem.

    They aren't able to get any discs recognized as recordable. Trying a
    different brand of media is one possibility. Cleaning disk or drive is
    another approach... Incorrect "filters" in the registry for the drive
    (usually from installing different burning programs) could be involved too.

    Maybe something in Alex Nichol's article will help them out of the trouble
    they are having:
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sorry but I did not state "twice" that you can only format CD-RW disks....I stated
    that once at the end of the first post I made. What I stated at least twice is that
    Windows XP cannot format CD-RW media by itself, and needs third-party help to do
    that.....a point that Richard and apparently also you missed each time. I am not
    going to explain to you how I wrote the post, and how that last line ended up in
    there when I had doubts about it. Believe it, or not....I really don't care. It is
    not "bullcrap", but you are welcome to think what you like. Those that know me and
    my postings over the last seven years know that you are mistaken in your estimation.

    Fact is, "format" on a CD-R disc is hardly what one would call an actual format, as
    is done on a CD-RW disc. I already stand corrected, I already stated that the
    comment was an error....what's your problem? I don't see either Richard or yourself
    entering the thread with any useful information for the OP; you are only trolling.
    I see that Rick and Sharon have supplied the OP with some useful info re: his actual
    problem, which has nothing to do with his original question on formatting.
    --

    "Falcon" <Falcon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > You are in over your head here. Twice you stated that you could only format
    > CD-RW disks and twice Crusty told you different. Then you come back with the
    > "I meant this" bullcrap. If you can't stand to be corrected and say that you
    > f**ked up, get lost!
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not "weaseling" out of anything, and your comment is not called for. I
    forgot
    > > that I left the last section of the original post in the post, as I had second
    > > thoughts about how true it actually was, considering the fact (as I ALREADY
    stated)
    > > that I have read many times that you *can* format a CD-R.
    > >
    > > I ALREADY clarified in my other replies in this post that I was basing my
    comment on
    > > my experience with the packet-writing software that I use....which does not
    allow
    > > CD-R discs to be formatted. I also stated that I don't have a CD-RW drive
    currently
    > > in my XP machine, so I cannot check what occurs there.
    > >
    > > Why do you continue to beat a dead horse? I thought you had already made you
    point,
    > > and said "Bye". It appears that rather than read all the replies and get the
    full
    > > picture, you are reading just the parts that make it easy for you to attack
    someone.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > So, now that you got an education you are trying to weasel your way free of
    > > > your "authoritative comment" that in order to format a CD it MUST be a
    > > > CD-RW. Just say you were wrong and move on. We all make mistakes in
    > > > learning!
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > Richard Urban
    > > >
    > > > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    > > >
    > > > If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > > >

    > > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    The guy got his answer a long time ago............let it go already
    peterk

    safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
> [...]
    >> >
    >> > I ALREADY clarified in my other replies in this post that I was basing
    >> > my
    > comment on
    >> > my experience with the packet-writing software that I use....which does
    >> > not
    > allow
    >> > CD-R discs to be formatted. I also stated that I don't have a CD-RW
    >> > drive
    > currently
    >> > in my XP machine, so I cannot check what occurs there.
    >> >
    >> > Why do you continue to beat a dead horse? I thought you had already
    >> > made you
    > point,
    >> > and said "Bye". It appears that rather than read all the replies and
    >> > get the
    > full
    >> > picture, you are reading just the parts that make it easy for you to

Format Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP