outlook

May 17, 2005 11:55:28 PM

Apparently I made a big mistake by opening Outlook one day, because
it's pestering me now. Every time I log on, I get a message saying
words to the effect of "there is no default email client selected" and
the message wants me to open Outlook and make it the default email
client.

I have Eudora set to handle email in IE and FF... which it does. How
can I make Outlook be quiet? I don't even have it on my desktop!

TIA

More about : outlook

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:05:56 AM

[How ya doin', sf?]

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access and Defaults >
(Re)Select Eudora as your default, then check settings at IE Tools>Internet
Options>Programs>Mail.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

sf wrote:
> Apparently I made a big mistake by opening Outlook one day, because
> it's pestering me now. Every time I log on, I get a message saying
> words to the effect of "there is no default email client selected" and
> the message wants me to open Outlook and make it the default email
> client.
>
> I have Eudora set to handle email in IE and FF... which it does. How
> can I make Outlook be quiet? I don't even have it on my desktop!
>
> TIA
May 18, 2005 4:05:57 AM

Hi Bear!

Thanks for the pointer... I didn't know there was anything called "Set
Program Access and Defaults"! Things seemed to be fine except FF
wasn't set as the default browser there for some odd reason. I hope
it's not the place to make a global decision because I'm the only FF
user on this computer. Everyone else uses IE.

I'll get back to you tomorrow if that message pops up again. Thanks!

:)
sf
`````````````

On Wed, 18 May 2005 00:05:56 -0400, PA Bear wrote:

> [How ya doin', sf?]
>
> Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access and Defaults >
> (Re)Select Eudora as your default, then check settings at IE Tools>Internet
> Options>Programs>Mail.
May 18, 2005 7:32:25 PM

Umm...it might've been better to leave well enough alone, sf. You may well
need now:

How to Register an Internet Browser or E-mail Client With the Windows XP
Start Menu:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297878

--
~PA Bear

sf wrote:
> Hi Bear!
>
> Thanks for the pointer... I didn't know there was anything called "Set
> Program Access and Defaults"! Things seemed to be fine except FF
> wasn't set as the default browser there for some odd reason. I hope
> it's not the place to make a global decision because I'm the only FF
> user on this computer. Everyone else uses IE.
>
> I'll get back to you tomorrow if that message pops up again. Thanks!
>
> :)
> sf
> `````````````
>
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 00:05:56 -0400, PA Bear wrote:
>
> > [How ya doin', sf?]
> >
> > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access and Defaults >
> > (Re)Select Eudora as your default, then check settings at IE
> > Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Mail.
May 20, 2005 2:47:28 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:32:25 -0400, PA Bear wrote:

> Umm...it might've been better to leave well enough alone, sf.

Why don't these things come with a warning? <GROAN>

> You may well
> need now:
>
> How to Register an Internet Browser or E-mail Client With the Windows XP
> Start Menu:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297878

Can you clue me into what happens after that? Obviously, I'm gun shy
now.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:04:23 PM

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:32:25 -0400, PA Bear wrote:
>
>> Umm...it might've been better to leave well enough alone, sf.
>
> Why don't these things come with a warning? <GROAN>
>
>> You may well
>> need now:
>>
>> How to Register an Internet Browser or E-mail Client With the Windows XP
>> Start Menu:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297878
>
> Can you clue me into what happens after that? Obviously, I'm gun shy
> now.

In WinXP, the default browser and mail client is universal (applies to all
users). Using 297878 you can add an alternate browser to a user's Start
Menu for convenience. Of course, this will not change the default browser
called when, e.g., clicking links in an email message.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
May 21, 2005 10:17:15 PM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 17:04:23 -0400, PA Bear wrote:

> In WinXP, the default browser and mail client is universal (applies to all
> users). Using 297878 you can add an alternate browser to a user's Start
> Menu for convenience. Of course, this will not change the default browser
> called when, e.g., clicking links in an email message.

Everything works the way I want it to NOW except that message comes up
every time I turn on the computer. Is there some way to delete OE? I
don't see it in Add/Remove.

TIA
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:02:04 PM

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 17:04:23 -0400, PA Bear wrote:
>
>> In WinXP, the default browser and mail client is universal (applies to
>> all
>> users). Using 297878 you can add an alternate browser to a user's Start
>> Menu for convenience. Of course, this will not change the default
>> browser
>> called when, e.g., clicking links in an email message.
>
> Everything works the way I want it to NOW except that message comes up
> every time I turn on the computer. Is there some way to delete OE? I
> don't see it in Add/Remove.

Thread history in archive: http://snipurl.com/f3c7

What message?

If you're using Eudora as the default Mail Client and you're still getting
the "there is no default email client selected" error when clicking on a
Send To or Mail To link or right-click option, I'm afraid you'll have to
post to a Eudora-specific newsgroup or forum to find out how to fix it, sf.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
May 28, 2005 3:03:48 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:02:04 -0400, PA Bear wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 May 2005 17:04:23 -0400, PA Bear wrote:
> >
> >> In WinXP, the default browser and mail client is universal (applies to
> >> all
> >> users). Using 297878 you can add an alternate browser to a user's Start
> >> Menu for convenience. Of course, this will not change the default
> >> browser called when, e.g., clicking links in an email message.
> >
> > Everything works the way I want it to NOW except that message comes up
> > every time I turn on the computer. Is there some way to delete OE? I
> > don't see it in Add/Remove.
>
> Thread history in archive: http://snipurl.com/f3c7
>
> What message?
>
> If you're using Eudora as the default Mail Client and you're still getting
> the "there is no default email client selected" error when clicking on a
> Send To or Mail To link or right-click option, I'm afraid you'll have to
> post to a Eudora-specific newsgroup or forum to find out how to fix it, sf.

The offending message pops up when I boot up.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:31:54 AM

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:02:04 -0400, PA Bear wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:

> > (applies to >> all
> > Start >> Menu for convenience. Of course, this will not change the
> > default >> browser called when, e.g., clicking links in an email
> > message. >
> > > Everything works the way I want it to NOW except that message comes
> > up > every time I turn on the computer. Is there some way to delete
> > OE? I > don't see it in Add/Remove.
> >
> > Thread history in archive: http://snipurl.com/f3c7
> >
> > What message?
> >
> > If you're using Eudora as the default Mail Client and you're still
> > getting the "there is no default email client selected" error when
> > clicking on a Send To or Mail To link or right-click option, I'm
> > afraid you'll have to post to a Eudora-specific newsgroup or forum to
> > find out how to fix it, sf.
>
> The offending message pops up when I boot up.

Sounds like something is trying send mail without your permission, most
likely a Trojan.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm