Sleep mode surprise

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Do you use sleep mode and any comments about it?

The reason I ask is because for years I never used it, because my internet connection wouldn’t work after going into sleep mode. Also, I always kept my HDD spinning for such reason. I new there was a feature in the BIOS that would shut everything down, like all fans, and PSU, but I always had some fans spinning before if I did use sleep mode, since at that time I was on a dial up and had no problem getting back on line, but always felt some fans should be spinning.

Anyway I just used the sleep mode and everything shut down, I also set the power management to shut off my HDD in 3 minutes. So everything stopped and I woke the PC up and I was able to get back on-line, to my surprise.

Wow this is news to me and I’ll start using sleep mode more often I don’t see why not. I assume the PC is only using enough juice to stay in sleep mode, so I guess its ok then if all the fans come to a stop. So any input on the matter?

Before I had AMD systems and last I new my HDD had to stay spinning, now with my Intel it doesn’t seem that way. My ISP new the PC couldn’t go into sleep mode or I wouldn’t be able to get back on-line and I don’t know if that change or what. I suppose I could try sleep mode with one of my other PC.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Yep, I use it a lot. There are different kinds of power management options you can change in your BIOS. Mine has S1 and S3. I like using S3 because it's like putting the computer in a coma :smile: . It's dead quiet and just uses enough energy to keep the contents of the RAM alive. You were probably just using the S1 mode on your old systems. Sounds like you have ACPI->S3 enabled in the BIOS on your newer system which is a good thing. I usually use this instead of turning off my computer. Here's a run down of the power-saving modes :eek:
Sleep States:
S0 - everything's on

S1 - very simple power saving - just shuts down the monitor and hard drives.

S2 - shuts down the monitor and hard drives + cuts power to the CPU + cache

S3 - cuts power to everything except it uses just enough energy to keep the contents of the RAM alive.

S4 - copies contents of the RAM to the hard drive and kills all power (hibernation)

S5 - completely shuts off the computer

As long as it’s working fine, keep using it! S3 either wasn't an option on some older systems or sometimes had problems with older systems.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks for the run down.

For the longest time I haven’t used sleep mode, because I wouldn’t be able to get back on line after the HDD stop, which was S1. I didn’t try S3, because back then I thought with out the fan running my CPU would fry, lol.

I still have to check out my other computer, but this one goes back on line with no problem. This is great, no more spinning HDD and if I’m lucky I’ll notice a difference in my electric bill. :wink:

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
I've had pretty good luck with standby/sleep modes. The only problem I've had was on my brother's computer. There was one game that ran really choppy after coming out of standby. That was later fixed with a BIOS update though.