Windows XP Pro Newbie

May 19, 2005 8:12:20 PM

Last night windows update downloaded and update to windows installer

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows Installer 3.1
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4377
Date: 5/19/2005
Time: 3:01:13 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: TGKW001
Windows Installer Hotfix KB893803v2 was installed.

It then automatically restarted my computer. That's not cool.
Then these errors appeared while trying to restart

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 5/19/2005
Time: 3:13:17 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TGKW001
The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error:
This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: sr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 5/19/2005
Time: 8:31:17 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TGKW001
The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC000011E'
while processing the file 'Dump.ini' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume2'. It
has stopped monitoring the volume.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

First any ideas on why windows restarted by itself? Second why did I get
these errors after restart? Event id 7023 I created a new check point
record after I got back on to my computer.

Thanks Tom

More about : windows pro newbie

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:36:13 AM

Default behavior after installing any update needing a reboot is for user
(you) to be asked if he wants to reboot now or not. You may have accepted
the prompt to reboot thinking your were just saying OK to finishing the
install...or Windows may indeed have rebooted on it's own. Stuff happens.

That being said and despite the errors you encountered upon rebooting, is
everything OK now?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security