XP pro logon

I hope you can help me. I'm in deep trouble with my son's laptop. He brought
it home from college and I tried to put it on my home network. I changed the
domain name and restarted and now it won't recognize his original password so
I can't log on. How can I bypass the logon step? I'm not at all familiar with
XP Professional.
4 answers Last reply
More about logon

    "dlb" <dlb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I hope you can help me. I'm in deep trouble with my son's laptop. He
    >brought
    > it home from college and I tried to put it on my home network. I changed
    > the
    > domain name and restarted and now it won't recognize his original password
    > so
    > I can't log on. How can I bypass the logon step? I'm not at all familiar
    > with
    > XP Professional.

    You don't! Once removed from the domain, the login credentials for the
    domain become invalid and will require the school's domain administrator to
    rejoin the laptop to the domain before access can be regained using his
    domain login credentials.
    Now if you or your son know the local admin account for the laptop, then the
    laptop can be used, and even access personal files under his profile found
    in "Documents and Settings\<his logon>\My Documents" ... etc.

    Note: Just because a computer is part of a domain, it can be booted in
    workstation mode, and can make use of a home network. We have literally
    hundreds of laptops nationwide part of our company domain, but the
    employee's take them home/on the road connecting via dial-up, hotel wifi,
    broadband, cable, DSL, satellite, you name it in workstation mode, then once
    connected to the internet, establish a VPN connection into the domain where
    they then have access to domain assets.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "dlb" <dlb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I hope you can help me. I'm in deep trouble with my son's laptop. He
    >brought
    > it home from college and I tried to put it on my home network. I changed
    > the
    > domain name and restarted and now it won't recognize his original password
    > so
    > I can't log on. How can I bypass the logon step? I'm not at all familiar
    > with
    > XP Professional.

    Hi,

    Hit ctrl+alt+delete twice at the logon screen, type in "administrator" and
    the password if there is one, set it to log into the local machine, not the
    domain. Once there, set it back to the original domain or reset his
    password.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 18:49:06 -0500, "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote:

    >"dlb" <dlb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I hope you can help me. I'm in deep trouble with my son's laptop. He
    >>brought
    >> it home from college and I tried to put it on my home network. I changed
    >> the
    >> domain name and restarted and now it won't recognize his original password
    >> so
    >> I can't log on. How can I bypass the logon step? I'm not at all familiar
    >> with
    >> XP Professional.

    I would think best choice would be log in as admin, and do a rollback to before
    you fiddled with it.

Microsoft Domain Name Windows XP