XP pro logon

dlb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2005

I hope you can help me. I'm in deep trouble with my son's laptop. He brought
it home from college and I tried to put it on my home network. I changed the
domain name and restarted and now it won't recognize his original password so
I can't log on. How can I bypass the logon step? I'm not at all familiar with
XP Professional.

"dlb" <dlb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hope you can help me. I'm in deep trouble with my son's laptop. He
>brought
> it home from college and I tried to put it on my home network. I changed
> the
> domain name and restarted and now it won't recognize his original password
> so
> I can't log on. How can I bypass the logon step? I'm not at all familiar
> with
> XP Professional.

You don't! Once removed from the domain, the login credentials for the
domain become invalid and will require the school's domain administrator to
rejoin the laptop to the domain before access can be regained using his
domain login credentials.
Now if you or your son know the local admin account for the laptop, then the
laptop can be used, and even access personal files under his profile found
in "Documents and Settings\<his logon>\My Documents" ... etc.

Note: Just because a computer is part of a domain, it can be booted in
workstation mode, and can make use of a home network. We have literally
hundreds of laptops nationwide part of our company domain, but the
employee's take them home/on the road connecting via dial-up, hotel wifi,
broadband, cable, DSL, satellite, you name it in workstation mode, then once
connected to the internet, establish a VPN connection into the domain where
they then have access to domain assets.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"dlb" <dlb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hope you can help me. I'm in deep trouble with my son's laptop. He
>brought
> it home from college and I tried to put it on my home network. I changed
> the
> domain name and restarted and now it won't recognize his original password
> so
> I can't log on. How can I bypass the logon step? I'm not at all familiar
> with
> XP Professional.

Hi,

Hit ctrl+alt+delete twice at the logon screen, type in "administrator" and
the password if there is one, set it to log into the local machine, not the
domain. Once there, set it back to the original domain or reset his
password.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

On Fri, 20 May 2005 18:49:06 -0500, "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote:

>"dlb" <dlb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I hope you can help me. I'm in deep trouble with my son's laptop. He
>>brought
>> it home from college and I tried to put it on my home network. I changed
>> the
>> domain name and restarted and now it won't recognize his original password
>> so
>> I can't log on. How can I bypass the logon step? I'm not at all familiar
>> with
>> XP Professional.

I would think best choice would be log in as admin, and do a rollback to before
you fiddled with it.