PCHardstuff

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
I am building a 3.0c system. I have done a lot of research on the available boards but I am rather undecided on which one to go with. I have always used asus boards in the past. I want to be able to O/C in the future. Here's my component list:

Thermaltake Xaser III V1420A Case
P4C800-E DELUXE(?????)
EVGA GeForce FX5900 Ultra
Intel Pentium 4 / 3.0CGHz 512k
CORSAIR MEMORY XMS(Twin Pack) 1GB PC-3700
SONY 1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE
2x Western Digital Raptors (striped)
Plextor 52x32x52 PlexWriter Premium
SONY 16X DVD ROM
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Windows XP Professional

Please pick it apart and make recommendations on any of the components. I want the absolute best performance and I am not concerned about the price/performance ratio.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
get the P4P800 deluxe from ASUS it offers about the same performance and it's cheaper but if money's not the problem go with P4C800-E deluxe it's an excellent board

and i would recommand waiting abit on the FX5900Ultra and get either a Gainward/Asus/MSI card instead, their HSF are much quieter and better looking^^ as well as the stuff that comes with it

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if i had the money and if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The absolute best performance comes from the Abit IS7 and Corsair TwinX 3200LL modules. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that board is also the best value. I wish you could spend more to get better performance, but it simply can't be done. Spend the money you saved on other things.

You could spend a little more to get the IS7-G of course, but that board is still a best value.

And the Asus P4P800 and P4P800 Deluxe are very close to the Abit boards in performance. Problem is, those are also top values.

Oh, Corsairs TwinX PC3200LL will run stable at lower latencies than their higher speed memory. I don't know why. But if it's cheaper...doh, another value for you, sorry.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

G

The IS7 and the IS7-E boards are the bomb-diggity. Note that they both run on 865, yet their performance surpasses almost all 875 boards. IS7-E is only $97 at googlegear.com last time I checked.

--GNOMES ARE GOOD! GNOMES ARE GREAT! GNOMES GO ON MY DINNER PLATE!!!--

nowareman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
I love my IC7-G. I'd recommend the IC7-G to anyone. But if I had to do it over again I just might go for the IS7 instead.

Or not.

Did I mention I love my IC7-G? :smile: