System Restore corrupt

Wanted to do a SR today and found out that I had almost no SR points. There
was just one on the 3rd May. In previous months it had been OK, about one SR
point every couple of days automatically. Went to look in and found I had
3.8GB of space allocated to SR, which should be good. Maybe my SR is
corrupt. How can I clean it up or redo it?
TIA

In news:etLiIYhXFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Ben Stevenson <nospam@firestorml.com> typed:

> Wanted to do a SR today and found out that I had almost no SR
> points.
> There was just one on the 3rd May. In previous months it had
> been OK,
> about one SR point every couple of days automatically. Went to
> look
> in and found I had
> 3.8GB of space allocated to SR, which should be good. Maybe my
> SR is
> corrupt. How can I clean it up or redo it?

Turn it off (which will delete all the existing restore points),
then turn it back on again.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
Please post the event information from Event Viewer as suggested in
the page below along with any other error message generated by System
Restore. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.

System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Ben Stevenson wrote:
> Wanted to do a SR today and found out that I had almost
> no SR points. There was just one on the 3rd May. In
> previous months it had been OK, about one SR point every
> couple of days automatically. Went to look in and found I
> had
> 3.8GB of space allocated to SR, which should be good.
> Maybe my SR is corrupt. How can I clean it up or redo it?
> TIA

Thanks for your response.
Yours would be the quick solution no doubt, but i thought of going along
with Bert's solution first to see and find out the underlying problems, and
in the process learn quite a bit more about SR.
Thanks

> In news:etLiIYhXFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Ben Stevenson <nospam@firestorml.com> typed:
>
> > Wanted to do a SR today and found out that I had almost no SR
> > points.
> > There was just one on the 3rd May. In previous months it had
> > been OK,
> > about one SR point every couple of days automatically. Went to
> > look
> > in and found I had
> > 3.8GB of space allocated to SR, which should be good. Maybe my
> > SR is
> > corrupt. How can I clean it up or redo it?
>

> Turn it off (which will delete all the existing restore points),
> then turn it back on again.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Thanks for your response.
Went ahead with your first solution:
System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

and tried the following:
a.. Use the Event Viewer to investigate System Restore service errors. To do
this, follow these steps:
a.. Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
b.. Click the Source tab to sort by name, look for "sr" and "srservice."
Double-click each of these services, and evaluate the event description for
any indication of the cause of the problem. Make note of the Description,
EventID and Source of these Event Properties that show an Error or Warning.
I do not see any Source Tab at Event Viewer.
Under "Name" I see Antivirus, Application. Security, System. Just four of
them.
The same four headings are seen in the left pane. No "sr". Need more help.

By the way, went back to look at the restore points and found that the 3rd
May one had disappeared.

Thanks

Ben Stevenson wrote:
> Thanks for your response.
> Went ahead with your first solution:
> System Restore Failures to restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
> and tried the following:
> a.. Use the Event Viewer to investigate System Restore
> service errors. To do this, follow these steps:
> a.. Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press
> enter. b.. Click the Source tab to sort by name, look
> for "sr" and "srservice." Double-click each of these
> services, and evaluate the event description for any
> indication of the cause of the problem. Make note of the
> Description, EventID and Source of these Event Properties
> that show an Error or Warning.

< I do not see any Source Tab at Event Viewer.

In the right pane of Event Viewer at the top of the columns are names
in gray. One is Source. Click on it to sort the column. This makes the
event easer to find.

> Under "Name" I see Antivirus, Application. Security, System.

Click on each or these and use the sort methord above and look for
"sr" and "srservice".

< Just four of them. The same four headings are seen in the left pane.
No "sr". Need more help.

> By the way, went back to look at the restore points and
> found that the 3rd May one had disappeared.

I would suggest reducing the amount of disk space used by System
Restore to just under 1gb for now.

We will also have to rule out virus/malware infection.
Here is a combination of utilities that I have found that works very
well in the removal and prevention of virus infection, spyware,
parasites, malware and the like.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

On the following page download the first two scripts and let me know
if they report the default settings.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/

> Thanks
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in
>> Windows XP. Please post the event information from Event
>> Viewer as suggested in the page below along with any
>> other error message generated by System Restore. This
>> will help us in diagnosing the problem.
>>
>> System Restore Failures to restore:
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>>
>> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore
>> point: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Ben Stevenson wrote:
>>> Wanted to do a SR today and found out that I had almost
>>> no SR points. There was just one on the 3rd May. In
>>> previous months it had been OK, about one SR point every
>>> couple of days automatically. Went to look in and found
>>> I had 3.8GB of space allocated to SR, which should be good.
>>> Maybe my SR is corrupt. How can I clean it up or redo it? TIA

Thanks for your continued help and patience. My replies as below:

> Ben Stevenson wrote:
> > Thanks for your response.
> > Went ahead with your first solution:
> > System Restore Failures to restore:
> > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
> >
> > and tried the following:
> > a.. Use the Event Viewer to investigate System Restore
> > service errors. To do this, follow these steps:
> > a.. Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press
> > enter. b.. Click the Source tab to sort by name, look
> > for "sr" and "srservice." Double-click each of these
> > services, and evaluate the event description for any
> > indication of the cause of the problem. Make note of the
> > Description, EventID and Source of these Event Properties
> > that show an Error or Warning.
>
> < I do not see any Source Tab at Event Viewer.
>
> In the right pane of Event Viewer at the top of the columns are names
> in gray. One is Source. Click on it to sort the column. This makes the
> event easer to find.

Still could not find the "Source" tab, so had to play around a bit. In the
right pane, under "Name" are the four items as previously mentioned. If I
double click any of these items, the new box appears, and "Source" appears
as the fourth column. Maybe your instructions are as per XP Professional.
Mine is XP Home. I am just guessing.

"srservice" appeared as a single item under System on 5/3/2005 and under
"Name" it was not an error of any sort but Application.

> > Under "Name" I see Antivirus, Application. Security, System.
>
> Click on each or these and use the sort methord above and look for
> "sr" and "srservice".
>
> < Just four of them. The same four headings are seen in the left pane.
> No "sr". Need more help.
> >
> > By the way, went back to look at the restore points and
> > found that the 3rd May one had disappeared.
>
> I would suggest reducing the amount of disk space used by System
> Restore to just under 1gb for now.

Have done that to 1.1GB. The next stop is too low.

> We will also have to rule out virus/malware infection.
> Here is a combination of utilities that I have found that works very
> well in the removal and prevention of virus infection, spyware,
> parasites, malware and the like.
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

I am OK on Spywares and Malwares. I have and use regularly, Ad-aware,
Spybot, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard. My anti-virus is the reliable
Avast, and occassionally I also use the online scanners. No real problems
there. My Kerio firewall has served me well.

> On the following page download the first two scripts and let me know
> if they report the default settings.

Your link above has only one page. There is no following page.

My computer is dodgy and a bit unstable. Perhaps you maybe aware of some
free diagnostics programs that I could download and use. Norton had good
ones, but I had to uninstall Norton Systemsworks as it was destabilizing my
System. XP Home only has CHKDSK which is quite insufficient.
Thanks

Ben Stevenson wrote:
> Thanks for your continued help and patience. My replies
>>> Went ahead with your first solution:
>>> System Restore Failures to restore:
>>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>>>
>>> and tried the following:
>>> a.. Use the Event Viewer to investigate System Restore
>>> service errors. To do this, follow these steps:
>>> a.. Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press
>>> enter. b.. Click the Source tab to sort by name, look
>>> for "sr" and "srservice." Double-click each of these
>>> services, and evaluate the event description for any
>>> indication of the cause of the problem. Make note of the
>>> Description, EventID and Source of these Event
>>> Properties that show an Error or Warning.
>>
>> < I do not see any Source Tab at Event Viewer.
>>
>> In the right pane of Event Viewer at the top of the
>> columns are names in gray. One is Source. Click on it to
>> sort the column. This makes the event easer to find.
>
> Still could not find the "Source" tab, so had to play
> around a bit. In the right pane, under "Name" are the
> four items as previously mentioned. If I double click any
> of these items, the new box appears, and "Source" appears
> as the fourth column. Maybe your instructions are as per
> XP Professional. Mine is XP Home. I am just guessing.
>
> "srservice" appeared as a single item under System on
> 5/3/2005 and under "Name" it was not an error of any sort but
> Application.

I should have added clicking on System in the left pane. I have added
it to the instructions.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/source.html

>>> Under "Name" I see Antivirus, Application. Security,
>>> System.
>>
>> Click on each or these and use the sort methord above
>> and look for "sr" and "srservice".
>>
>> < Just four of them. The same four headings are seen in
>> the left pane. No "sr". Need more help.
>>>
>>> By the way, went back to look at the restore points and
>>> found that the 3rd May one had disappeared.
>>
>> I would suggest reducing the amount of disk space used
>> by System Restore to just under 1gb for now.
>
> Have done that to 1.1GB. The next stop is too low.

Good.

>> We will also have to rule out virus/malware infection.
>> Here is a combination of utilities that I have found
>> that works very well in the removal and prevention of
>> virus infection, spyware, parasites, malware and the
>> like. http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html
>
> I am OK on Spywares and Malwares. I have and use
> regularly, Ad-aware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster and
> SpywareGuard. My anti-virus is the reliable Avast, and
> occassionally I also use the online scanners. No real
> problems there. My Kerio firewall has served me well.
>
>> On the following page download the first two scripts and
>> let me know if they report the default settings.
>
> Your link above has only one page. There is no following page.

On the following page download and run the following:
XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs
XPSystemRestoreLife.vbs
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_srscripts.html

> My computer is dodgy and a bit unstable. Perhaps you
> maybe aware of some free diagnostics programs that I
> could download and use. Norton had good ones, but I had
> to uninstall Norton Systemsworks as it was destabilizing
> my System. XP Home only has CHKDSK which is quite
> insufficient.

Download and run Process Explorer. Look for a process that may taking
up CPU recourses. Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

> Thanks
>

>>> "Bert Kinney" wrote

Just reading all your helpful hints and just checked my restore points.

I noticed that my system is monitoring Presario_RP (D)...

Should I turn this off?

Thanks.
Helen

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
> Please post the event information from Event Viewer as suggested in
> the page below along with any other error message generated by System
> Restore. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
>
> System Restore Failures to restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Ben Stevenson wrote:
> > Wanted to do a SR today and found out that I had almost
> > no SR points. There was just one on the 3rd May. In
> > previous months it had been OK, about one SR point every
> > couple of days automatically. Went to look in and found I
> > had
> > 3.8GB of space allocated to SR, which should be good.
> > Maybe my SR is corrupt. How can I clean it up or redo it?
> > TIA

Hi Helen,

As far as I can tell, Presario_RP D:\ is the Compaq Recovery
Partition. This is what Compaq offers rather than a CD. Cheap! And no,
I see no reason to have System Restore monitor it.

How to disable a monitored drive:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html

--

Gaga6 wrote:
> Just reading all your helpful hints and just checked my
> restore points.
>
> I noticed that my system is monitoring Presario_RP (D)...
>
> Should I turn this off?
>
> Thanks.
> Helen
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in
>> Windows XP. Please post the event information from Event
>> Viewer as suggested in the page below along with any
>> other error message generated by System Restore. This
>> will help us in diagnosing the problem.
>>
>> System Restore Failures to restore:
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>>
>> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore
>> point: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Ben Stevenson wrote:
>>> Wanted to do a SR today and found out that I had almost
>>> no SR points. There was just one on the 3rd May. In
>>> previous months it had been OK, about one SR point every
>>> couple of days automatically. Went to look in and found
>>> I had
>>> 3.8GB of space allocated to SR, which should be good.
>>> Maybe my SR is corrupt. How can I clean it up or redo
>>> it? TIA

Thanks. After reading all your posts, that's what I figured. I'll disable
it now. If I knew then what I know now about buying computers, I sure would
make sure I got the cd's. Live and learn...

Helen

> Hi Helen,
>

> As far as I can tell, Presario_RP D:\ is the Compaq Recovery
> Partition. This is what Compaq offers rather than a CD. Cheap! And no,
> I see no reason to have System Restore monitor it.
>
> How to disable a monitored drive:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Gaga6 wrote:
> > Just reading all your helpful hints and just checked my
> > restore points.
> >
> > I noticed that my system is monitoring Presario_RP (D)...
> >
> > Should I turn this off?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Helen
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in
> >> Windows XP. Please post the event information from Event
> >> Viewer as suggested in the page below along with any
> >> other error message generated by System Restore. This
> >> will help us in diagnosing the problem.
> >>
> >> System Restore Failures to restore:
> >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
> >>
> >> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore
> >> point: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://dts-l.org/

You're welcome Helen.

If I didn't learn something new every day, I would be disappointed!
<g>

--

Gaga6 wrote:
> Thanks. After reading all your posts, that's what I
> figured. I'll disable it now. If I knew then what I
> know now about buying computers, I sure would make sure I
> got the cd's. Live and learn...
>
> Helen
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>> Hi Helen,
>>

>> As far as I can tell, Presario_RP D:\ is the Compaq
>> Recovery Partition. This is what Compaq offers rather
>> than a CD. Cheap! And no, I see no reason to have System
>> Restore monitor it.
>>
>> How to disable a monitored drive:
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> Gaga6 wrote:
>>> Just reading all your helpful hints and just checked my
>>> restore points.
>>>
>>> I noticed that my system is monitoring Presario_RP
>>> (D)...
>>>
>>> Should I turn this off?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Helen
>>>
>>> "Bert Kinney" wrote

Sorry for the delayed reply. Just came back today from an urgent trip.

> On the following page download and run the following:
> XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs
> XPSystemRestoreLife.vbs
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_srscripts.html

Have done that.
On "XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs"
SR points will be every 24 hours. Do I keep it that way or change it later?
On "XPSystemRestoreLife.vbs", same question. The SR points will be done for
90 days. What happens after 90 days? No more SR points? Shall I change it?

Download and run Process Explorer. Look for a process that may taking
> up CPU recourses. Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

All my processes are OK. No problems. I used windows Task Manager too.

> Ben Stevenson wrote:
> > Thanks for your continued help and patience. My replies

> >> < I do not see any Source Tab at Event Viewer.
> >>
> >> In the right pane of Event Viewer at the top of the
> >> columns are names in gray. One is Source. Click on it to
> >> sort the column. This makes the event easer to find.
> >
> > Still could not find the "Source" tab, so had to play
> > around a bit. In the right pane, under "Name" are the
> > four items as previously mentioned. If I double click any
> > of these items, the new box appears, and "Source" appears
> > as the fourth column. Maybe your instructions are as per
> > XP Professional. Mine is XP Home. I am just guessing.
> >
> > "srservice" appeared as a single item under System on
> > 5/3/2005 and under "Name" it was not an error of any sort but
> > Application.
>
> I should have added clicking on System in the left pane. I have added
> it to the instructions.
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/source.html

> >> Click on each or these and use the sort methord above
> >> and look for "sr" and "srservice".
> >>
> >> < Just four of them. The same four headings are seen in
> >> the left pane. No "sr". Need more help.

> >> I would suggest reducing the amount of disk space used
> >> by System Restore to just under 1gb for now.
> >
> > Have done that to 1.1GB. The next stop is too low.
>
> Good.
>

> >> We will also have to rule out virus/malware infection.
> >> Here is a combination of utilities that I have found
> >> that works very well in the removal and prevention of
> >> virus infection, spyware, parasites, malware and the
> >> like. http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html
> >
> > I am OK on Spywares and Malwares. I have and use
> > regularly, Ad-aware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster and
> > SpywareGuard. My anti-virus is the reliable Avast, and
> > occassionally I also use the online scanners. No real
> > problems there. My Kerio firewall has served me well.
> >
> >> On the following page download the first two scripts and
> >> let me know if they report the default settings.
> >
> > Your link above has only one page. There is no following page.
>
> On the following page download and run the following:
> XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs
> XPSystemRestoreLife.vbs
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_srscripts.html
>
> > My computer is dodgy and a bit unstable. Perhaps you
> > maybe aware of some free diagnostics programs that I
> > could download and use. Norton had good ones, but I had
> > to uninstall Norton Systemsworks as it was destabilizing
> > my System. XP Home only has CHKDSK which is quite
> > insufficient.
>
> Download and run Process Explorer. Look for a process that may taking
> up CPU recourses. Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
>

> > Thanks

Change the Restore Point Frequency to 18 hours and see if that has any
affect.

Do you by change have Real Player One installed? If so update to the
latest version.

Is Norton System Works installed?

--

> Change the Restore Point Frequency to 18 hours and see if that has any
> affect.

Will do that. But first: Went to take a look at System Restore, and all the
previous points were gone. There were zero points. Is something wrong? So
set up a manual point just now, just in case if needed.

> Do you by change have Real Player One installed? If so update to the
> latest version.

No, I don't have it. I did think of it, but friends told me it gives
problems. What do you think? If you recommend it, I'll install it.

> Is Norton System Works installed?

No. I had uninstalled it about two years ago for all the problems it gave.

Ben Stevenson wrote:
>> Change the Restore Point Frequency to 18 hours and see
>> if that has any affect.
>
> Will do that. But first: Went to take a look at System
> Restore, and all the previous points were gone. There
> were zero points. Is something wrong?

Yes, there should be at least a couple of weeks stored up.

> So set up a manual point just now, just in case if needed.
>
>> Do you by change have Real Player One installed? If so
>> update to the latest version.
>
> No, I don't have it. I did think of it, but friends told
> me it gives problems. What do you think? If you recommend
> it, I'll install it.

If you find a need for it, it's OK to install. You will want to go
into Tools - Preferences and uncheck everything under Automatic
Services. Do the same for Connection - Internet / Privacy. And don't
let RP run at startup.

>> Is Norton System Works installed?
>
> No. I had uninstalled it about two years ago for all the
> problems it gave.

Good

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Ben Stevenson wrote:
>>> Sorry for the delayed reply. Just came back today from
>>> an urgent trip.

>>> Have done that.
>>> On "XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs"
>>> SR points will be every 24 hours. Do I keep it that way
>>> or change it later? On "XPSystemRestoreLife.vbs", same
>>> question. The SR points will be done for 90 days. What
>>> happens after 90 days? No more SR points? Shall I
>>> change it?
>>>
>>> Download and run Process Explorer. Look for a process
>>> that may taking
>>>
>>> All my processes are OK. No problems. I used windows
>>> Task Manager too.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Hi Bert

Checked today. There are no Restore points except for the one manually made
on June 1st.

Would it be OK if I went ahead and did Ken Blake's suggestion of May 21st?
I would like to try that.
Thanks.

"Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message

> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> > Change the Restore Point Frequency to 18 hours and see if that has any
> > affect.
>
> Will do that. But first: Went to take a look at System Restore, and all
the
> previous points were gone. There were zero points. Is something wrong? So
> set up a manual point just now, just in case if needed.
>
> > Do you by change have Real Player One installed? If so update to the
> > latest version.
>
> No, I don't have it. I did think of it, but friends told me it gives
> problems. What do you think? If you recommend it, I'll install it.
>
> > Is Norton System Works installed?
>
> No. I had uninstalled it about two years ago for all the problems it gave.
>
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> > http://dts-l.org/
> >

> > Ben Stevenson wrote:
> > > Sorry for the delayed reply. Just came back today from an
> > > urgent trip.

> > > Have done that.
> > > On "XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs"
> > > SR points will be every 24 hours. Do I keep it that way
> > > or change it later? On "XPSystemRestoreLife.vbs", same
> > > question. The SR points will be done for 90 days. What
> > > happens after 90 days? No more SR points? Shall I change it?
> > >
> > > Download and run Process Explorer. Look for a process
> > > that may taking
> > >
> > > All my processes are OK. No problems. I used windows Task
> > > Manager too.
> > >
> > > Thanks

Hi Ben,

See my reply to your previous post also.

Well this indicates that the restore points are not be deleted. Just
not automatically created. Is this correct?

Remember that automatic restore points are only created during idle
time; for example, when there is no mouse, keyboard, or disk i/o
activity. If the system is in use the entire time it is turned on,
then turned off, an automatic restore point will NOT be created.

When you run Process Explorer, how much idle time is there?

I don't think turning SR off then on again will help this problem. You
may want to reinstall SR instead. Either one of these process will
purge all existing restore points.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR

--

> Hi Ben,
>
> See my reply to your previous post also.
>
> Well this indicates that the restore points are not be deleted. Just
> not automatically created. Is this correct?

The previous ones that I had, had been deleted by the system somehow. And no
new ones were created. I had manually created one point on the 1st June, and
it is still the only one there/

> Remember that automatic restore points are only created during idle
> time; for example, when there is no mouse, keyboard, or disk i/o
> activity. If the system is in use the entire time it is turned on,
> then turned off, an automatic restore point will NOT be created.

Yes I know that. The manual one I created, I left the computer for 10 mins
for it to be created. Moreover, I hardly ever switch off my computer. I just
walk away when finished, and it is configured to go into Standby in 20 mins
if not used, and restore points were always created before this problem came
up.

> When you run Process Explorer, how much idle time is there?

Its about 98% when I stop using applications for a while.

> I don't think turning SR off then on again will help this problem. You
> may want to reinstall SR instead. Either one of these process will
> purge all existing restore points.
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR

Went thru it all. There's so much there and I don't really know what to do.
Could you please put it in a nutshell what I have to do?
Thanks

> Ben Stevenson wrote:
> > Hi Bert
> >
> > Checked today. There are no Restore points except for the
> > one manually made on June 1st.
> >
> > Would it be OK if I went ahead and did Ken Blake's
> > suggestion of May 21st? I would like to try that.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Will do that. But first: Went to take a look at System
> >> Restore, and all the previous points were gone. There
> >> were zero points. Is something wrong? So set up a manual
> >> point just now, just in case if needed.

> >> No, I don't have it. I did think of it, but friends told
> >> me it gives problems. What do you think? If you
> >> recommend it, I'll install it.

> >> No. I had uninstalled it about two years ago for all the
> >> problems it gave.

Hi Ben,

Here are the instructions on how to reinstall System Restore.

1. Open Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab, select "Show hidden
files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types",
click OK.

2. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C:\Windows\inf folder.

3. Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.

If you run into difficulty, let me know at what step.

--

Ben Stevenson wrote:
> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> See my reply to your previous post also.
>>
>> Well this indicates that the restore points are not be
>> deleted. Just not automatically created. Is this correct?
>
> The previous ones that I had, had been deleted by the
> system somehow. And no new ones were created. I had
> manually created one point on the 1st June, and it is
> still the only one there/
>
>> Remember that automatic restore points are only created
>> during idle time; for example, when there is no mouse,
>> keyboard, or disk i/o activity. If the system is in use
>> the entire time it is turned on, then turned off, an
>> automatic restore point will NOT be created.
>
> Yes I know that. The manual one I created, I left the
> computer for 10 mins for it to be created. Moreover, I
> hardly ever switch off my computer. I just walk away when
> finished, and it is configured to go into Standby in 20
> mins if not used, and restore points were always created
> before this problem came up.
>
>> When you run Process Explorer, how much idle time is
>> there?
>
> Its about 98% when I stop using applications for a while.
>
>> I don't think turning SR off then on again will help
>> this problem. You may want to reinstall SR instead.
>> Either one of these process will purge all existing
>> restore points.
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
>
> Went thru it all. There's so much there and I don't
> really know what to do. Could you please put it in a
> nutshell what I have to do?
> Thanks
>

>> Ben Stevenson wrote:
>>> Hi Bert
>>>
>>> Checked today. There are no Restore points except for
>>> the one manually made on June 1st.
>>>
>>> Would it be OK if I went ahead and did Ken Blake's
>>> suggestion of May 21st? I would like to try that.
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message

Hi Bert

Sorry for the delay. Had difficulties to accomplish your procedure. Did some
emails with the manufacturer-NEC- who was of no help.
> 3. Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.
"Did that and got the pop-up box:
Files needed
The file 'sr.sys' on Windows XP Home Service Pack 1 CD is needed.
Type the path where the file is located and then click OK.
Copy files from
C\Windows\inf\i386 "

Put in the CD and clicked on the D drive (CD Drive), nothing happened.
Looked for the sr.sys file in the CD, and got the pop-up box:
File not found.
Please verify the correct file name give.

The manufacturer informed that my computer came with XP Home pre-installed,
so I have a Recovery CD. Beyond that he was vague and of not much help.

You think I can still do it with the Recovery CD?

> Hi Ben,
>
> Here are the instructions on how to reinstall System Restore.
>
> 1. Open Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab, select "Show hidden
> files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types",
> click OK.
>
> 2. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C:\Windows\inf folder.
>
> 3. Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.
>
> If you run into difficulty, let me know at what step.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Ben Stevenson wrote:
> > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi Ben,
> >>
> >> See my reply to your previous post also.
> >>
> >> Well this indicates that the restore points are not be
> >> deleted. Just not automatically created. Is this correct?
> >
> > The previous ones that I had, had been deleted by the
> > system somehow. And no new ones were created. I had
> > manually created one point on the 1st June, and it is
> > still the only one there/
> >
> >> Remember that automatic restore points are only created
> >> during idle time; for example, when there is no mouse,
> >> keyboard, or disk i/o activity. If the system is in use
> >> the entire time it is turned on, then turned off, an
> >> automatic restore point will NOT be created.
> >
> > Yes I know that. The manual one I created, I left the
> > computer for 10 mins for it to be created. Moreover, I
> > hardly ever switch off my computer. I just walk away when
> > finished, and it is configured to go into Standby in 20
> > mins if not used, and restore points were always created
> > before this problem came up.
> >
> >> When you run Process Explorer, how much idle time is
> >> there?
> >
> > Its about 98% when I stop using applications for a while.
> >
> >> I don't think turning SR off then on again will help
> >> this problem. You may want to reinstall SR instead.
> >> Either one of these process will purge all existing
> >> restore points.
> >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
> >
> > Went thru it all. There's so much there and I don't
> > really know what to do. Could you please put it in a
> > nutshell what I have to do?
> > Thanks

When searching for the file in the i386 folder, or the CD look for
sr.sy_
This is what it looks like when it is compressed.

I wouldn't suggest using the recovery cd yet. As you may or may not
know, this will most likely wipe the drive and all data will be lost.
So using this cd requires that all data that you don't want loose be
backup up!