IDE Connector Color ?

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Hi,

I have noticed that some motherboards have two colors for their IDE connectors, e.g. blue and brown.

I was wondering if they had any significance other than blue being the primary IDE? Would they both be capable of supporting the 80wire 40pin cables and corresponding data transfer rates?

Thanking you in advance for your time and trouble.

The loving are the daring!

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
All motherboards released this century are capable of using the 40/80 pin IDE cables. Different colouring of IDE ports is just a fashion accessory and if 2 colours afre found on a board then it helps to ID the master.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

robertk

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
not always dude. We have had boards that wont run cdroms on the primary. Its rare as hell but its happened, as long as they stick to the recommended hard drives on primary and cdrw/rom on secondary its usually fine with rw`s set as master ofcourse.
As to the colours it just means your board looks cool or not. Msi`s are usually colourfull wee fellows. Except an east europena one I had in which was standard green pcb with brown fittings. (glad im not in poland:))

If you gotta go, go with a smile/y.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We have had boards that wont run cdroms on the primary.
Then they are defective. Technically, there is no difference between Primary and Secondary channels.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

TRENDING THREADS