Got a new computer!

Which has a DVD RW unit, but how do I record data on a DVD disk?

Does it need formating, and how do I do that?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Hi,

You do it with DVD burning software, usually this is provided with the
machine. There is no native DVD burning function in WindowsXP. Most disks do
not need formatting.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message

> Which has a DVD RW unit, but how do I record data on a DVD disk?
>
> Does it need formating, and how do I do that?
>
> --
> alan
>
> reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Click | Start | All Programs | DVD Software | F1 for Help |
Enter, "how do I record data" | Click OK

"Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message

> Which has a DVD RW unit, but how do I record data on a DVD disk?
>
> Does it need formating, and how do I do that?
>
> --
> alan
>
> reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Sun, 22 May 2005 08:36:59 -0400, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You do it with DVD burning software, usually this is provided with the
> machine. There is no native DVD burning function in WindowsXP. Most disks do
> not need formatting.

Piggy backing.... I have one with 2 bays. How do I figure out which
one is the DVD RW?

TIA

Blimey, that was quick, I've only just posted this!

Anyway, thanks, most helpful.

Alan

> Hi,
>
> You do it with DVD burning software, usually this is provided with the
> machine. There is no native DVD burning function in WindowsXP. Most disks
> do not need formatting.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Which has a DVD RW unit, but how do I record data on a DVD disk?
>>
>> Does it need formating, and how do I do that?
>>
>> --
>> alan
>>
>> reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

You may want to test by trying to burn a CD in both and let us know which
one worked so we can tell you that is the CD-RW or DVD-RW or you can just
insert a DVD and see which one plays the DVD.

You will find much more info at:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
=======================================
Regards,
Gary 'Doc' Adams
Louisiana @ 314.479.8201
LsuEdu@msn.comREMOVE
~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
=======================================

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 08:36:59 -0400, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You do it with DVD burning software, usually this is provided with the
>> machine. There is no native DVD burning function in WindowsXP. Most
>> disks do
>> not need formatting.
>
> Piggy backing.... I have one with 2 bays. How do I figure out which
> one is the DVD RW?
>
> TIA

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 08:36:59 -0400, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You do it with DVD burning software, usually this is provided with the
>> machine. There is no native DVD burning function in WindowsXP. Most
>> disks do
>> not need formatting.
>
> Piggy backing.... I have one with 2 bays. How do I figure out which
> one is the DVD RW?

It should have a RW logo on the front of its drawer.

--
Trish
Dublin, Ireland

> Hi,
>
> You do it with DVD burning software, usually this is provided with the
> machine. There is no native DVD burning function in WindowsXP. Most disks
> do not need formatting.

It would seem I made a mistake, the DVD drive is not a burner!:)-(

Is a DVD burner drive expensive?

Where would I get one?

I'm close to Slough.

Check the test reports/reviews on dvd burners at www.pcpro.co.uk
Then do a "Froogle" for the model of your choice.
>I'm close to Slough.
;-(
regards
MH