Register pop-up- want rid

Have a new computer and everytime I log on I get a box asking me to 'register
my PC and activate my modem'. I have already signed up to a broadband company
and this box is irritating. Also get one for a DVD software, but thats not as
irritating as it disapears straight away. I simply want to look at my
personal screen saver. Not to much to ask? Thanks in advance.
13 answers Last reply
More about register

    toolbar.google.com
    Block Pop Ups better than Pop A Lock

    "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Have a new computer and everytime I log on I get a box asking me to
    > 'register
    > my PC and activate my modem'. I have already signed up to a broadband
    > company
    > and this box is irritating. Also get one for a DVD software, but thats not
    > as
    > irritating as it disapears straight away. I simply want to look at my
    > personal screen saver. Not to much to ask? Thanks in advance.

    Thanks Louise but the pop-up isn't comming from the internet, it was
    happening even before I got connected. Its in the system somewhere just
    waiting for me to switch on my PC- like a stalker! I can't find it on my
    install/uninstall programme and I've tried removing it from the programme
    list- no difference.

    "CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE" wrote:

    > toolbar.google.com
    > Block Pop Ups better than Pop A Lock
    >
    > "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Have a new computer and everytime I log on I get a box asking me to
    > > 'register
    > > my PC and activate my modem'. I have already signed up to a broadband
    > > company
    > > and this box is irritating. Also get one for a DVD software, but thats not
    > > as
    > > irritating as it disapears straight away. I simply want to look at my
    > > personal screen saver. Not to much to ask? Thanks in advance.

    First eliminate any spyware.
    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
    you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
    versions)
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
    WinXP:
    Get WinSockxpFix
    How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
    CMD
    In the command window type
    netsh winsock reset

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    > Thanks Louise but the pop-up isn't comming from the internet, it was
    > happening even before I got connected. Its in the system somewhere just
    > waiting for me to switch on my PC- like a stalker! I can't find it on my
    > install/uninstall programme and I've tried removing it from the programme
    > list- no difference.
    >
    > "CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE" wrote:
    >
    >> toolbar.google.com
    >> Block Pop Ups better than Pop A Lock
    >>
    >> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Have a new computer and everytime I log on I get a box asking me to
    >> > 'register
    >> > my PC and activate my modem'. I have already signed up to a broadband
    >> > company
    >> > and this box is irritating. Also get one for a DVD software, but thats
    >> > not
    >> > as
    >> > irritating as it disapears straight away. I simply want to look at my
    >> > personal screen saver. Not to much to ask? Thanks in advance.

    Would this help if the pop-up is not internet based? Don't want to start
    doing stuff where its not neccessary.
    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

    > First eliminate any spyware.
    > What You Should Know About Spyware
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx
    >
    > CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
    > you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
    > LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
    > versions)
    > http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    > Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
    > http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    > Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
    > WinXP:
    > Get WinSockxpFix
    > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    > How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    > In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
    > CMD
    > In the command window type
    > netsh winsock reset
    >
    > See
    > Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    >
    > Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    > won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    > before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    > than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    > http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
    > **Post your HijackThis log to
    > http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    > http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    > http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    > Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    > may be found on this page:
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
    >
    > See this link for information about malware:
    > http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars
    >
    > If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    >

    > "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Thanks Louise but the pop-up isn't comming from the internet, it was
    > > happening even before I got connected. Its in the system somewhere just
    > > waiting for me to switch on my PC- like a stalker! I can't find it on my
    > > install/uninstall programme and I've tried removing it from the programme
    > > list- no difference.
    > >
    > > "CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE" wrote:
    > >
    > >> toolbar.google.com
    > >> Block Pop Ups better than Pop A Lock
    > >>
    > >> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Yes. The adware that causes this to display is on your hard drive. The
    fact that you are not connected proves that it is adware.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

> [...]
    >> CWShredder
    >> may be found on this page:
    >> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
    >>
    >> See this link for information about malware:
    >> http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars
    >>
    >> If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    >> http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >> Protect your PC
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
    >>

    >> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Thanks Louise but the pop-up isn't comming from the internet, it was
    >> > happening even before I got connected. Its in the system somewhere just
    >> > waiting for me to switch on my PC- like a stalker! I can't find it on
    >> > my
    >> > install/uninstall programme and I've tried removing it from the

    Sorry Frank- still no luck. Have spent the last 2 hours reading and
    downloading spyware, it found and cleared 5 items but the 'sign up now' still
    leers at me from the screen everytime I log on. Went through everything on my
    hardrive, but nothing obvious. Only thing I havn't done yet is 'malware'-
    would that help?

    Where did you post your HijackThis log?
    Please give a link.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

    > Sorry Frank- still no luck. Have spent the last 2 hours reading and
    > downloading spyware, it found and cleared 5 items but the 'sign up now'
    > still
    > leers at me from the screen everytime I log on. Went through everything on
    > my
    > hardrive, but nothing obvious. Only thing I havn't done yet is 'malware'-
    > would that help?
    >
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes. The adware that causes this to display is on your hard drive. The
    >> fact that you are not connected proves that it is adware.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >>
    >> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Would this help if the pop-up is not internet based? Don't want to
    >> > start
    >> > doing stuff where its not neccessary.

    Wasn't given any options to do this and not sure how to do it mysel. Very
    new PC owner- still a bit scared... sorry, I know I sound totally useless.
    Thought getting rid of this would be simple.

    > Wasn't given any options to do this and not sure how to do it mysel.
    > Very new PC owner- still a bit scared... sorry, I know I sound
    > totally useless. Thought getting rid of this would be simple.
    >

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
    >
    >> Where did you post your HijackThis log?
    >> Please give a link.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

    How? Where are they to post?
    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

    > **Post your HijackThis log to
    > http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    > http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    > http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >
    > "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Wasn't given any options to do this and not sure how to do it mysel.
    > > Very new PC owner- still a bit scared... sorry, I know I sound
    > > totally useless. Thought getting rid of this would be simple.
    > >

    > > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Where did you post your HijackThis log?
    > >> Please give a link.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

    Frank- Have you given up on me? This is supposed to be help for new users,
    explain in basics and I'll try... Anyone out there? Hello........

    "Teenz" wrote:

    > How? Where are they to post?
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
    >
    > > **Post your HijackThis log to
    > > http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    > > http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    > > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    > > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    > > http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    > >
    > > --
    > > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > >
    > > "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Wasn't given any options to do this and not sure how to do it mysel.
    > > > Very new PC owner- still a bit scared... sorry, I know I sound
    > > > totally useless. Thought getting rid of this would be simple.

    I've been to busy to get on the Net - house guests and cooking fancy meals.
    I gave you a list of links to post the log to. If you can't just click
    them, copy and paste one to the IE Address Bar.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    > Frank- Have you given up on me? This is supposed to be help for new users,
    > explain in basics and I'll try... Anyone out there? Hello........
    >

    > "Teenz" wrote:
    >

    >> How? Where are they to post?
    >> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
    >>
    >> > **Post your HijackThis log to
    >> > http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    >> > http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    >> > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    >> > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    >> > http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not
    >> > here.**
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >> >
    >> > "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Totally confused- where will I find the 'bad' stuff on my computer? Which
    file would it be in? Sorry Frank- people like me shouldn't be given PCs until
    after basic training. I really thought it would be quite simple to get rid of
    that annoying box.

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

    > I've been to busy to get on the Net - house guests and cooking fancy meals.
    > I gave you a list of links to post the log to. If you can't just click
    > them, copy and paste one to the IE Address Bar.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    >

    > "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Frank- Have you given up on me? This is supposed to be help for new users,
    > > explain in basics and I'll try... Anyone out there? Hello........
    > >

    > > "Teenz" wrote:
    > >

    > >> How? Where are they to post?

Windows XP