Register pop-up- want rid

May 22, 2005 6:02:02 PM

Have a new computer and everytime I log on I get a box asking me to 'register
my PC and activate my modem'. I have already signed up to a broadband company
and this box is irritating. Also get one for a DVD software, but thats not as
irritating as it disapears straight away. I simply want to look at my
personal screen saver. Not to much to ask? Thanks in advance.

More about : register pop rid

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 11:14:32 PM

toolbar.google.com
Block Pop Ups better than Pop A Lock

"Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have a new computer and everytime I log on I get a box asking me to
> 'register
> my PC and activate my modem'. I have already signed up to a broadband
> company
> and this box is irritating. Also get one for a DVD software, but thats not
> as
> irritating as it disapears straight away. I simply want to look at my
> personal screen saver. Not to much to ask? Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 6:20:01 AM

Thanks Louise but the pop-up isn't comming from the internet, it was
happening even before I got connected. Its in the system somewhere just
waiting for me to switch on my PC- like a stalker! I can't find it on my
install/uninstall programme and I've tried removing it from the programme
list- no difference.

"CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE" wrote:

> toolbar.google.com
> Block Pop Ups better than Pop A Lock
>
> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have a new computer and everytime I log on I get a box asking me to
> > 'register
> > my PC and activate my modem'. I have already signed up to a broadband
> > company
> > and this box is irritating. Also get one for a DVD software, but thats not
> > as
> > irritating as it disapears straight away. I simply want to look at my
> > personal screen saver. Not to much to ask? Thanks in advance.

May 23, 2005 11:55:10 AM

First eliminate any spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> Thanks Louise but the pop-up isn't comming from the internet, it was
> happening even before I got connected. Its in the system somewhere just
> waiting for me to switch on my PC- like a stalker! I can't find it on my
> install/uninstall programme and I've tried removing it from the programme
> list- no difference.
>
> "CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE" wrote:
>
>> toolbar.google.com
>> Block Pop Ups better than Pop A Lock
>>
>> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Have a new computer and everytime I log on I get a box asking me to
>> > 'register
>> > my PC and activate my modem'. I have already signed up to a broadband
>> > company
>> > and this box is irritating. Also get one for a DVD software, but thats
>> > not
>> > as
>> > irritating as it disapears straight away. I simply want to look at my
>> > personal screen saver. Not to much to ask? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:55:11 AM

Would this help if the pop-up is not internet based? Don't want to start
doing stuff where its not neccessary.
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

> First eliminate any spyware.
> What You Should Know About Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...
>
> CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
> you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
> LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
> versions)
> http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
> Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
> http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
> Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
> WinXP:
> Get WinSockxpFix
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
> How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
> In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
> CMD
> In the command window type
> netsh winsock reset
>
> See
> Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
> won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
> before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
> than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
> **Post your HijackThis log to
> http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
> Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
> may be found on this page:
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
>
> See this link for information about malware:
> http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars
>
> If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
>

> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Thanks Louise but the pop-up isn't comming from the internet, it was
> > happening even before I got connected. Its in the system somewhere just
> > waiting for me to switch on my PC- like a stalker! I can't find it on my
> > install/uninstall programme and I've tried removing it from the programme
> > list- no difference.
> >
> > "CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE" wrote:
> >
> >> toolbar.google.com
> >> Block Pop Ups better than Pop A Lock
> >>
> >> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:04:03 PM

Yes. The adware that causes this to display is on your hard drive. The
fact that you are not connected proves that it is adware.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> [...]
>> CWShredder
>> may be found on this page:
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
>>
>> See this link for information about malware:
>> http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars
>>
>> If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>>

>> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Thanks Louise but the pop-up isn't comming from the internet, it was
>> > happening even before I got connected. Its in the system somewhere just
>> > waiting for me to switch on my PC- like a stalker! I can't find it on
>> > my
>> > install/uninstall programme and I've tried removing it from the

May 23, 2005 2:42:02 PM

Sorry Frank- still no luck. Have spent the last 2 hours reading and
downloading spyware, it found and cleared 5 items but the 'sign up now' still
leers at me from the screen everytime I log on. Went through everything on my
hardrive, but nothing obvious. Only thing I havn't done yet is 'malware'-
would that help?

May 23, 2005 7:42:24 PM

Where did you post your HijackThis log?
Please give a link.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

> Sorry Frank- still no luck. Have spent the last 2 hours reading and
> downloading spyware, it found and cleared 5 items but the 'sign up now'
> still
> leers at me from the screen everytime I log on. Went through everything on
> my
> hardrive, but nothing obvious. Only thing I havn't done yet is 'malware'-
> would that help?
>
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
>
>> Yes. The adware that causes this to display is on your hard drive. The
>> fact that you are not connected proves that it is adware.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>>
>> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > --
>> > Would this help if the pop-up is not internet based? Don't want to
>> > start
>> > doing stuff where its not neccessary.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:36:07 PM

Wasn't given any options to do this and not sure how to do it mysel. Very
new PC owner- still a bit scared... sorry, I know I sound totally useless.
Thought getting rid of this would be simple.

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

> Where did you post your HijackThis log?
> Please give a link.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>
> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Sorry Frank- still no luck. Have spent the last 2 hours reading and
> > downloading spyware, it found and cleared 5 items but the 'sign up now'
> > still
> > leers at me from the screen everytime I log on. Went through everything on
> > my
> > hardrive, but nothing obvious. Only thing I havn't done yet is 'malware'-
> > would that help?
> >
> > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes. The adware that causes this to display is on your hard drive. The
> >> fact that you are not connected proves that it is adware.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> >>
> >> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:55:40 PM

> Wasn't given any options to do this and not sure how to do it mysel.
> Very new PC owner- still a bit scared... sorry, I know I sound
> totally useless. Thought getting rid of this would be simple.
>

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
>
>> Where did you post your HijackThis log?
>> Please give a link.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:17:04 AM

How? Where are they to post?
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

> **Post your HijackThis log to
> http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>
> "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Wasn't given any options to do this and not sure how to do it mysel.
> > Very new PC owner- still a bit scared... sorry, I know I sound
> > totally useless. Thought getting rid of this would be simple.
> >

> > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
> >
> >> Where did you post your HijackThis log?
> >> Please give a link.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 6:58:01 PM

Frank- Have you given up on me? This is supposed to be help for new users,
explain in basics and I'll try... Anyone out there? Hello........

"Teenz" wrote:

> How? Where are they to post?
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
>
> > **Post your HijackThis log to
> > http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
> > http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
> > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
> > http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
> >
> > --
> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> >
> > "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Wasn't given any options to do this and not sure how to do it mysel.
> > > Very new PC owner- still a bit scared... sorry, I know I sound
> > > totally useless. Thought getting rid of this would be simple.

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:33:24 AM

I've been to busy to get on the Net - house guests and cooking fancy meals.
I gave you a list of links to post the log to. If you can't just click
them, copy and paste one to the IE Address Bar.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> Frank- Have you given up on me? This is supposed to be help for new users,
> explain in basics and I'll try... Anyone out there? Hello........
>

> "Teenz" wrote:
>

>> How? Where are they to post?
>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
>>
>> > **Post your HijackThis log to
>> > http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
>> > http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
>> > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
>> > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
>> > http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not
>> > here.**
>> >
>> > --
>> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> >
>> > "Teenz" <Teenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:34:01 PM

Totally confused- where will I find the 'bad' stuff on my computer? Which
file would it be in? Sorry Frank- people like me shouldn't be given PCs until
after basic training. I really thought it would be quite simple to get rid of
that annoying box.

!