After upgrading to Windows XP from 98SE most of my hardware including mouse,
printer and speakers no longer work. I have updated all necessary drivers
and have thoroughly checked the XP website for ANY assistance with no
success. Why would a different operating system affect a computer in this
way? Any suggestions?

98SE uses the FAT32 file system,xp uses ntfs,have you converted to ntfs.
If not,go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CONVERT C: /FS:ntfs This is not
reversable unless you reformat and reinstall 98,however,the downloads you're
getting,and all others for xp are in ntfs.

"MKDombrowski" wrote:

> After upgrading to Windows XP from 98SE most of my hardware including mouse,
> printer and speakers no longer work. I have updated all necessary drivers
> and have thoroughly checked the XP website for ANY assistance with no
> success. Why would a different operating system affect a computer in this
> way? Any suggestions?

XP runs just fine on FAT32, and this has nothing to do with the users
problem. There is no reason to convert to NTFS, nor will doing that fix
anything. Downloads are stored in whatever file format the system is using.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> 98SE uses the FAT32 file system,xp uses ntfs,have you converted to ntfs.
> If not,go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CONVERT C: /FS:ntfs This is not
> reversable unless you reformat and reinstall 98,however,the downloads
> you're
> getting,and all others for xp are in ntfs.
>
> "MKDombrowski" wrote:
>
>> After upgrading to Windows XP from 98SE most of my hardware including
>> mouse,
>> printer and speakers no longer work. I have updated all necessary
>> drivers
>> and have thoroughly checked the XP website for ANY assistance with no
>> success. Why would a different operating system affect a computer in
>> this
>> way? Any suggestions?

Hi,

Did you check the system for compatibility with WinXP before upgrading? Not
all hardware or combinations thereof will operate correctly.

--

"MKDombrowski" <MKDombrowski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After upgrading to Windows XP from 98SE most of my hardware including
> mouse,
> printer and speakers no longer work. I have updated all necessary drivers
> and have thoroughly checked the XP website for ANY assistance with no
> success. Why would a different operating system affect a computer in this
> way? Any suggestions?

That is ridiculous.
The file system is a partition property and the file does not care what file
system it is on..

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> 98SE uses the FAT32 file system,xp uses ntfs,have you converted to ntfs.
> If not,go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CONVERT C: /FS:ntfs This is not
> reversable unless you reformat and reinstall 98,however,the downloads
> you're
> getting,and all others for xp are in ntfs.
>
> "MKDombrowski" wrote:
>
>> After upgrading to Windows XP from 98SE most of my hardware including
>> mouse,
>> printer and speakers no longer work. I have updated all necessary
>> drivers
>> and have thoroughly checked the XP website for ANY assistance with no
>> success. Why would a different operating system affect a computer in
>> this
>> way? Any suggestions?

> 98SE uses the FAT32 file system,xp uses ntfs,have you converted to ntfs.
> If not,go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CONVERT C: /FS:ntfs This is not
> reversable unless you reformat and reinstall 98,however,the downloads
> you're
> getting,and all others for xp are in ntfs.
>
> "MKDombrowski" wrote:
>
>> After upgrading to Windows XP from 98SE most of my hardware including
>> mouse,
>> printer and speakers no longer work. I have updated all necessary
>> drivers
>> and have thoroughly checked the XP website for ANY assistance with no
>> success. Why would a different operating system affect a computer in
>> this
>> way? Any suggestions?

That is the most stupid and uninformed reply I have ever seen in this NG.

On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:24:02 -0700, MKDombrowski wrote:

> After upgrading to Windows XP from 98SE most of my hardware including mouse,
> printer and speakers no longer work. I have updated all necessary drivers
> and have thoroughly checked the XP website for ANY assistance with no
> success. Why would a different operating system affect a computer in this
> way? Any suggestions?

Drivers come in different versions for different operating systems. In most
cases, the ones suitable for Win98 will not work in WinXP.

WinXP includes basic drivers for many but not all devices. For
full-featured drivers or for drivers not included in XP, check the hardware
manufacturer's website for XP drivers. If no XP drivers are available, the
Win2000 drivers are second choice and often work.

PS: Are you sure the speakers aren't working? Is it possible that the sound
card needs XP drivers instead?
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

You may want to test by checking if the vendor has an XP driver and if not
that particular piece of hardware will not work on XP like older digital
cameras.

The older the hardware the less demand for the XP drivers so some vendors
have not updated the old drivers.

Check out the ads for rebates...

You will find much more info at:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/