My Internet Dial Up Connection is not available in the 'Gu..

Tags:
  • Internet Explorer
  • Connection
  • Dial Up Connection
  • Windows XP
May 23, 2005 6:17:09 AM

I use a US Robotics Sure Connect ADSL USB Modem which IE 6 uses to connect
automaticaly when you load it, but for which it also had its own Dial Up
Connection icon which you can use to establish a connection. I have just
switched on the Guest Account and none of this is the case when that is
logged on. IE does not connect and there is no Dial Up Connection icon.
There doesn't seem to me to be a lot of point to the Guest account if you
can't access the Internet so I am sure something is wrong. Can anyone help?

More about : internet dial connection

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 7:10:20 PM

No, nothing is wrong, this is normal. To work around this issue, see www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, Line 32, Left column, Keep RAS Connection.

Download either the EXE or REG file version and run it. Now, you can establish a dial up connection from another user account and then use Fast User Switching to switch over to the Guest account.

No, its not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Spencer Halil" <spencer(nospam)@f2s.com> wrote in message news:727F5DC9-C011-4BC4-9DA9-0C98BCB3C14A@microsoft.com...
>I use a US Robotics Sure Connect ADSL USB Modem which IE 6 uses to connect
> automaticaly when you load it, but for which it also had its own Dial Up
> Connection icon which you can use to establish a connection. I have just
> switched on the Guest Account and none of this is the case when that is
> logged on. IE does not connect and there is no Dial Up Connection icon.
> There doesn't seem to me to be a lot of point to the Guest account if you
> can't access the Internet so I am sure something is wrong. Can anyone help?
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 8:05:02 AM

Thanks Doug, but if I have to first log on with my password protected account
to establish the connection and then switch to Guest, this doent help as I
will not be present when the Guest Account is being accessed. Any further
thoughts?

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> No, nothing is wrong, this is normal. To work around this issue, see www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, Line 32, Left column, Keep RAS Connection.
>
> Download either the EXE or REG file version and run it. Now, you can establish a dial up connection from another user account and then use Fast User Switching to switch over to the Guest account.
>
> No, its not the most elegant solution, but it works.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Spencer Halil" <spencer(nospam)@f2s.com> wrote in message news:727F5DC9-C011-4BC4-9DA9-0C98BCB3C14A@microsoft.com...
> >I use a US Robotics Sure Connect ADSL USB Modem which IE 6 uses to connect
> > automaticaly when you load it, but for which it also had its own Dial Up
> > Connection icon which you can use to establish a connection. I have just
> > switched on the Guest Account and none of this is the case when that is
> > logged on. IE does not connect and there is no Dial Up Connection icon.
> > There doesn't seem to me to be a lot of point to the Guest account if you
> > can't access the Internet so I am sure something is wrong. Can anyone help?

May 24, 2005 1:34:30 PM

Unfortunately, no. The Guest account does not have dial up privileges. With a broadband connection (always on) this isn't an issue.

"Spencer Halil" <spencer(nospam)@f2s.com> wrote in message news:1D5369EF-B3D2-48AE-AA90-65BDFD21732E@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Doug, but if I have to first log on with my password protected account
> to establish the connection and then switch to Guest, this doent help as I
> will not be present when the Guest Account is being accessed. Any further
> thoughts?
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> No, nothing is wrong, this is normal. To work around this issue, see www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, Line 32, Left column, Keep RAS Connection.
>>
>> Download either the EXE or REG file version and run it. Now, you can establish a dial up connection from another user account and then use Fast User Switching to switch over to the Guest account.
>>
>> No, its not the most elegant solution, but it works.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Spencer Halil" <spencer(nospam)@f2s.com> wrote in message news:727F5DC9-C011-4BC4-9DA9-0C98BCB3C14A@microsoft.com...
>> >I use a US Robotics Sure Connect ADSL USB Modem which IE 6 uses to connect
>> > automaticaly when you load it, but for which it also had its own Dial Up
>> > Connection icon which you can use to establish a connection. I have just
>> > switched on the Guest Account and none of this is the case when that is
>> > logged on. IE does not connect and there is no Dial Up Connection icon.
>> > There doesn't seem to me to be a lot of point to the Guest account if you
>> > can't access the Internet so I am sure something is wrong. Can anyone help?

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:44:33 PM

Spencer Halil wrote:
> Thanks Doug, but if I have to first log on with my password protected
> account to establish the connection and then switch to Guest, this
> doent help as I will not be present when the Guest Account is being
> accessed. Any further thoughts?

Yes. Ditch the modem and buy an ASDL router. I've had my router for six
months now and I never have to bother with the connection window. You just
plug it into the Ethernet port, run the setup, and that's it. I have just
set up the guest account on my system to test it and it works. No
intervention by you would be required after it has been configured.