deleting corrupt files after system restore

Need help to delete files after having restored my system to a previous
configuration. I made the mistake to install Umax scanner software and
drivers which turned out to be old, outdated and incompatible with Windows
XP, Windows failed startup, and detected a Umax driver as the culprit. A
friend installed a clean system, but could not restore my documents. I
brought my computer home, and on booting up, used F8 for startup options, and
managed to restore previous system prior to installing the bad driver. So now
my computer is back up and running nicely, but I want to permanently delete
the Umax software and drivers. Not able to delete them. Cannot remove them
using control panel. The installer CD has no option to uninstall. There are
some 43 files that I cannot get rid of. Hope someone here can advise me how
to once and for all clear them out from my computer.Also, how can I uninstall
the 2nd Windows on my computer? TIA--Tribalgirl2005
6 answers Last reply
More about deleting corrupt files system restore

    After reading your post, your last sentence blew my mind. Solving that
    may also solve your first problem.
    Two installations of XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#two
    --
    Today is the first day of the rest of
    your life.

    "Tribalgirl2005" wrote:

    > Need help to delete files after having restored my system to a previous
    > configuration. I made the mistake to install Umax scanner software and
    > drivers which turned out to be old, outdated and incompatible with Windows
    > XP, Windows failed startup, and detected a Umax driver as the culprit. A
    > friend installed a clean system, but could not restore my documents. I
    > brought my computer home, and on booting up, used F8 for startup options, and
    > managed to restore previous system prior to installing the bad driver. So now
    > my computer is back up and running nicely, but I want to permanently delete
    > the Umax software and drivers. Not able to delete them. Cannot remove them
    > using control panel. The installer CD has no option to uninstall. There are
    > some 43 files that I cannot get rid of. Hope someone here can advise me how
    > to once and for all clear them out from my computer.Also, how can I uninstall
    > the 2nd Windows on my computer? TIA--Tribalgirl2005

    You may want to test by rebooting into safe mode then use windows explorer
    to delete the folder.

    Safe mode does not load all the drivers.

    You will find much more info at:
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    =======================================
    Regards,
    Gary 'Doc' Adams
    Louisiana @ 314.479.8201
    LsuEdu @ msn.com
    http://military.accaw.org
    ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
    =======================================

    "Tribalgirl2005" <Tribalgirl2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Need help to delete files after having restored my system to a previous
    > configuration. I made the mistake to install Umax scanner software and
    > drivers which turned out to be old, outdated and incompatible with Windows
    > XP, Windows failed startup, and detected a Umax driver as the culprit. A
    > friend installed a clean system, but could not restore my documents. I
    > brought my computer home, and on booting up, used F8 for startup options,
    > and
    > managed to restore previous system prior to installing the bad driver. So
    > now
    > my computer is back up and running nicely, but I want to permanently
    > delete
    > the Umax software and drivers. Not able to delete them. Cannot remove them
    > using control panel. The installer CD has no option to uninstall. There
    > are
    > some 43 files that I cannot get rid of. Hope someone here can advise me
    > how
    > to once and for all clear them out from my computer.Also, how can I
    > uninstall
    > the 2nd Windows on my computer? TIA--Tribalgirl2005

    You keep giving this link for every post. What helpful information is
    there?

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Thanks to CTLouisiana, I have removed 9 files that I had been unable to, but
    still 24 files remain that refuse to be renamed or deleted or moved. 8 are
    stuck in the I386 folder (inside Drives cabinet) and another 16 inside the
    Windows folder (again inside Drives folder both I386 and i386). Perhaps the
    resource fork has been altered (either damaged at time of installation, or
    else altered during system restoration), and so disabled. I have been assured
    that the files won't cause any further mischief, but if it is possible to
    eradicate them without all the trouble of another clean system installation
    and reinstalling all my applications, drivers, and moving data, I would like
    to know how to do it.

    As for the 2nd Windows XP, I would like to also uninstall it, but I don't
    know whether it is in the same partition as the original Windows XP (now
    restored). How can I determine this? When I boot up and choose to start up
    the 2nd Windows XP, the C Drive contents are bare bones, not at all the same
    as the contents of the C Drive with my original Windows XP. Is this an
    indication that the two systems are in different partitions?

    Thanks again.--Tribalgirl

    "CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE" wrote:

    > --
    > You may want to test by rebooting into safe mode then use windows explorer
    > to delete the folder.
    >
    > Safe mode does not load all the drivers.
    >
    > You will find much more info at:
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > =======================================
    > Regards,
    > Gary 'Doc' Adams
    > Louisiana @ 314.479.8201
    > LsuEdu @ msn.com
    > http://military.accaw.org
    > ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
    > =======================================
    >
    > "Tribalgirl2005" <Tribalgirl2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Need help to delete files after having restored my system to a previous
    > > configuration. I made the mistake to install Umax scanner software and
    > > drivers which turned out to be old, outdated and incompatible with Windows
    > > XP, Windows failed startup, and detected a Umax driver as the culprit. A
    > > friend installed a clean system, but could not restore my documents. I
    > > brought my computer home, and on booting up, used F8 for startup options,
    > > and
    > > managed to restore previous system prior to installing the bad driver. So
    > > now
    > > my computer is back up and running nicely, but I want to permanently
    > > delete
    > > the Umax software and drivers. Not able to delete them. Cannot remove them
    > > using control panel. The installer CD has no option to uninstall. There
    > > are
    > > some 43 files that I cannot get rid of. Hope someone here can advise me
    > > how
    > > to once and for all clear them out from my computer.Also, how can I
    > > uninstall
    > > the 2nd Windows on my computer? TIA--Tribalgirl2005

    At times after rebooting with a bootable floppy or CD, the files were
    removed with the DOS commands.

    To learn a DOS command at the command prompt, type the command then a space
    then a forward slash - which is called a switch - then a question mark then
    hit enter, i.e.,

    deltree /? <enter>

    rd /? <enter>

    del /? <enter>

> [...]
    >> > brought my computer home, and on booting up, used F8 for startup
    >> > options,
    >> > and
    >> > managed to restore previous system prior to installing the bad driver.
    >> > So
    >> > now
    >> > my computer is back up and running nicely, but I want to permanently
    >> > delete
    >> > the Umax software and drivers. Not able to delete them. Cannot remove
    >> > them
    >> > using control panel. The installer CD has no option to uninstall. There
    >> > are
    >> > some 43 files that I cannot get rid of. Hope someone here can advise me
    >> > how
    >> > to once and for all clear them out from my computer.Also, how can I
    >> > uninstall
    >> > the 2nd Windows on my computer? TIA--Tribalgirl2005

    Do not recommend you to spout on how to use Deltree for that can delete
    entire directories making the system crash unless the individual knows what
    he/she is doing. Also, what has your link to do with any of the problem areas
    the posters are needing help with??? What are you smoking in Baton Rouge?
    --

System Restore Windows XP