deleting corrupt files after system restore

Tags:
  • System Restore
  • Windows XP
May 23, 2005 12:25:09 PM

Need help to delete files after having restored my system to a previous
configuration. I made the mistake to install Umax scanner software and
drivers which turned out to be old, outdated and incompatible with Windows
XP, Windows failed startup, and detected a Umax driver as the culprit. A
friend installed a clean system, but could not restore my documents. I
brought my computer home, and on booting up, used F8 for startup options, and
managed to restore previous system prior to installing the bad driver. So now
my computer is back up and running nicely, but I want to permanently delete
the Umax software and drivers. Not able to delete them. Cannot remove them
using control panel. The installer CD has no option to uninstall. There are
some 43 files that I cannot get rid of. Hope someone here can advise me how
to once and for all clear them out from my computer.Also, how can I uninstall
the 2nd Windows on my computer? TIA--Tribalgirl2005

More about : deleting corrupt files system restore

May 23, 2005 2:55:16 PM

After reading your post, your last sentence blew my mind. Solving that
may also solve your first problem.
Two installations of XP
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#two
--
Today is the first day of the rest of
your life.

"Tribalgirl2005" wrote:

> Need help to delete files after having restored my system to a previous
> configuration. I made the mistake to install Umax scanner software and
> drivers which turned out to be old, outdated and incompatible with Windows
> XP, Windows failed startup, and detected a Umax driver as the culprit. A
> friend installed a clean system, but could not restore my documents. I
> brought my computer home, and on booting up, used F8 for startup options, and
> managed to restore previous system prior to installing the bad driver. So now
> my computer is back up and running nicely, but I want to permanently delete
> the Umax software and drivers. Not able to delete them. Cannot remove them
> using control panel. The installer CD has no option to uninstall. There are
> some 43 files that I cannot get rid of. Hope someone here can advise me how
> to once and for all clear them out from my computer.Also, how can I uninstall
> the 2nd Windows on my computer? TIA--Tribalgirl2005
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:10:07 PM

You may want to test by rebooting into safe mode then use windows explorer
to delete the folder.

Safe mode does not load all the drivers.

You will find much more info at:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
=======================================
Regards,
Gary 'Doc' Adams
Louisiana @ 314.479.8201
LsuEdu @ msn.com
http://military.accaw.org
~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
=======================================

"Tribalgirl2005" <Tribalgirl2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Need help to delete files after having restored my system to a previous
> configuration. I made the mistake to install Umax scanner software and
> drivers which turned out to be old, outdated and incompatible with Windows
> XP, Windows failed startup, and detected a Umax driver as the culprit. A
> friend installed a clean system, but could not restore my documents. I
> brought my computer home, and on booting up, used F8 for startup options,
> and
> managed to restore previous system prior to installing the bad driver. So
> now
> my computer is back up and running nicely, but I want to permanently
> delete
> the Umax software and drivers. Not able to delete them. Cannot remove them
> using control panel. The installer CD has no option to uninstall. There
> are
> some 43 files that I cannot get rid of. Hope someone here can advise me
> how
> to once and for all clear them out from my computer.Also, how can I
> uninstall
> the 2nd Windows on my computer? TIA--Tribalgirl2005
May 24, 2005 12:40:02 PM

Thanks to CTLouisiana, I have removed 9 files that I had been unable to, but
still 24 files remain that refuse to be renamed or deleted or moved. 8 are
stuck in the I386 folder (inside Drives cabinet) and another 16 inside the
Windows folder (again inside Drives folder both I386 and i386). Perhaps the
resource fork has been altered (either damaged at time of installation, or
else altered during system restoration), and so disabled. I have been assured
that the files won't cause any further mischief, but if it is possible to
eradicate them without all the trouble of another clean system installation
and reinstalling all my applications, drivers, and moving data, I would like
to know how to do it.

As for the 2nd Windows XP, I would like to also uninstall it, but I don't
know whether it is in the same partition as the original Windows XP (now
restored). How can I determine this? When I boot up and choose to start up
the 2nd Windows XP, the C Drive contents are bare bones, not at all the same
as the contents of the C Drive with my original Windows XP. Is this an
indication that the two systems are in different partitions?

Thanks again.--Tribalgirl

"CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE" wrote:

> --
> You may want to test by rebooting into safe mode then use windows explorer
> to delete the folder.
>
> Safe mode does not load all the drivers.
>
> You will find much more info at:
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> =======================================
> Regards,
> Gary 'Doc' Adams
> Louisiana @ 314.479.8201
> LsuEdu @ msn.com
> http://military.accaw.org
> ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
> =======================================
>
> "Tribalgirl2005" <Tribalgirl2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Need help to delete files after having restored my system to a previous
> > configuration. I made the mistake to install Umax scanner software and
> > drivers which turned out to be old, outdated and incompatible with Windows
> > XP, Windows failed startup, and detected a Umax driver as the culprit. A
> > friend installed a clean system, but could not restore my documents. I
> > brought my computer home, and on booting up, used F8 for startup options,
> > and
> > managed to restore previous system prior to installing the bad driver. So
> > now
> > my computer is back up and running nicely, but I want to permanently
> > delete
> > the Umax software and drivers. Not able to delete them. Cannot remove them
> > using control panel. The installer CD has no option to uninstall. There
> > are
> > some 43 files that I cannot get rid of. Hope someone here can advise me
> > how
> > to once and for all clear them out from my computer.Also, how can I
> > uninstall
> > the 2nd Windows on my computer? TIA--Tribalgirl2005

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:00:25 PM

At times after rebooting with a bootable floppy or CD, the files were
removed with the DOS commands.

To learn a DOS command at the command prompt, type the command then a space
then a forward slash - which is called a switch - then a question mark then
hit enter, i.e.,

deltree /? <enter>

rd /? <enter>

del /? <enter>

> [...]
>> > brought my computer home, and on booting up, used F8 for startup
>> > options,
>> > and
>> > managed to restore previous system prior to installing the bad driver.
>> > So
>> > now
>> > my computer is back up and running nicely, but I want to permanently
>> > delete
>> > the Umax software and drivers. Not able to delete them. Cannot remove
>> > them
>> > using control panel. The installer CD has no option to uninstall. There
>> > are
>> > some 43 files that I cannot get rid of. Hope someone here can advise me
>> > how
>> > to once and for all clear them out from my computer.Also, how can I
>> > uninstall
>> > the 2nd Windows on my computer? TIA--Tribalgirl2005

May 25, 2005 4:43:28 PM

Do not recommend you to spout on how to use Deltree for that can delete
entire directories making the system crash unless the individual knows what
he/she is doing. Also, what has your link to do with any of the problem areas
the posters are needing help with??? What are you smoking in Baton Rouge?
--

!