skiZtch

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
I'm looking into a mainboard for the computer i'm building for college.

From reading the articles here at THG, i'm very interested in nVidia's new nForce 2 chipset. However, i'm a little confused as to the advantage of dual-channel memory (w/nForce2)and why it's seen as unnecesary in with the nForce2 Ultra 400. At first it seemed that dual channel was the way to go, until the nForce 2 Ultra 400 came out and dual-channel was dismissed as too expensive.

So, my questions are, for you computer hardware guru's:

1) Which is better dual-channel with the nForce2 or regualar memory with the Ultra 400?

2) Why is the new FSB clock rate of 400 mhz on the Ultra 400 is said to be really not much faster than the 333mhz on the regular nForce 2? Which clock rate is better?

3) what does FSB stand for?

Thanks,
skiZtch

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
1) Dual channel generally offers higher bandwidth then single channel, as each memory has its own memory channel.
2) I dont know where you are getting that information, but 400mhz fsb will offer significantly higher performance then 333fsb. 400mhz fsb is better
3)FSB stands for front side bus, and determines how fast the CPU communicates with the memory. Athlons use double pumped fsbs, meaning 133=266fsb, 166=333fsb and so on. P4s use quad pumped fsbs. 133=533fsb, 200=800fsb.

<i>Royal Fusileres, Company C</i>

skiZtch

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Many thanks, JimmyDean, you've been quite helpful.

But my next question would be, is dual channel memmory more expensive and, if so, is it worth the extra money?

skiZtch

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ummm... I'm missing something here. Your post indicates you think the nForce2 Ultra-400 doesn't have dual channel memory... it does! It simply is guaranteed to support a 200 MHz (DDR400) FSB speed. The dual channel memory is still there.

As for your last question of cost - No, dual channel memory isn't more expensive unless you want to buy the special "matched" sets of DDR. I don't and mine works just fine with regular DDR.

Is it worth it? Probably not so much on an Athlon which has the FSB limited to less than the memory bandwidth. But it's quite a benefit if you have integrated video which shares the system memory.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Dual channel isnt usually more, all you need to do is buy 2 sticks instead of one. Its pretty much the same price since say a 512 stick of corsair is about 90, and a 256 stick is about 45.

<i>Royal Fusileres, Company C</i>

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
I believe there are both dual and single memory channel versions of the 400Mhz FSB nForce2 chipset boards. AFAIK, all of the original nForce2 boards were dual channel. As mentioned, dual channel performance is only minimally higher (maybe 5%) when not using integrated video (the difference is much higher when using onboard video).

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche

skiZtch

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
I don't plan on using itegrated video, so what are the advantages/disadvantages to using dual channel memory? to me it sounds like there's no reason not to use it.

skiZtch

skiZtch

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Now i'm a bit confused. According to THG's article entitled, "Faster and Faster, nForce2: The Latest Boards Put to the Test," the nForce2 400 doesn't have dual channel.

"The nForce2 400 is leaner with respect to its features, but it is also technically based on the well-known nForce2 family. To cater to the cost pressure exerted by the mass market, this version dispenses with the dual-channel memory interface - thereby rendering a simple and more cost-effective configuration of features with DDR266, DDR333 or DDR400 possible. It is also possible to use the simpler Southbridge MCP instead of the fully equipped MCP-T version."

Also, what are they talking about when they talk about the cost pressures of the mass market causing nVidia to do away with the dual-channel memmory? I thought the dual-channel route was no more expensive.

skiZtch

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I stand corrected... there are BOTH dual and single channel nForce2 Ultra-400 boards out there now-a-days. The single channel is a relatively new marketing tactic to differentiate the boards so they can go after the bargain market... but from what I've heard, the single channel is as fast or faster than the dual channel! Basically that's because the single channel doesn't have to deal with the latency overheads of the dual channel controller.

The memory doesn't cost more, but making the motherboard is more work with dual channel since when you think about it, the dual channel boards have to have more traces for the dual 64 bit channels... hence more expensive boards.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

apilgrim

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
I think I read the same review as you did that kept talking about how the 'nvidia2 400' doesn't have dual-channel memory. This is correct, however, the 'nvidia2 ULTRA 400' DOES still support dual-channel memory. Have to look for that 'ultra' in the name if you want dual-channel memory .

I think the review goes on to state that the reason for producing one board with dual-channel memory and one without is to be more competitive in the mainstream market.

Here's a quote off of NVIDIA's website to clear any confusion:

"The NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 incorporates dual 400MHz DDR controllers, delivering twice the bandwidth of typical DDR chipsets, an optimized 128-bit architecture, and 400MHz frontside bus (FSB) support for unparalleled performance. The NVIDIA nForce2 400 relies on a single 64-bit memory channel to deliver 400 MHz FSB and 400MHz DDR performance to the mainstream."

eternalseven

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2002
Given a Nforce 2 motherboard you can run the same board with both dual or single channel configurations. Most of these boards (all that I have seen) have 3 slots for memory. If you want to run dual channel you can only use 2 slots... and in those slots you must put identical modules. These modules don't have to be hand picked, you can just order any 2 modules, even from different brands, but it may cause problems in the setup. This is where the system becomes more expensive.

Windows 2k or higher does not really do all that well unless you have a half-gig (512Mb) worth of memory. Anything less and you're asking for disk swaps.

If you want to run dual channel: it is cheap to get 2x256 Mb modules. Thus you have a decent system running with dual channel. However if you want to upgrade and still stay in dual channel you have to throw those memory modules out and buy 2x512, or you gotta make that investment up-front.

If you run with 1 or 3 modules you can't use dual-channel configuration on any nforce motherboard (period)

Even if you run 2 identical modules you can still use single channel configuration.

Good luck, personally I don't think the dual channel is worth the extra cost right now. However nvidia is the company of choice and I applaud all that they have done recently in the chipset market. Once the Athlon 64 comes out I am sure they will have a chipset out which will be able to make use of the extra bandwidth the new processors will be able to suck in.

~ Eternal Seven

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Rest assured <b>eternal</b>, if 3 memory modules are inserted into an nForce2 board (with 3 dimm slots), Dual DDR is in effect. In the case with 2x256MB and 512MB, 1GB would be accessed in Dual DDR mode - the smallest amount of memory amongst both channels times two - and none of it would be accessed in 64-bit access mode. That is, Dual DDR adjust to the lowest common density that will facilitate 128-bit bandwidth.

nvidia is the company of choice and I applaud all that they have done recently in the chipset market.
Ditto! nForce2, in particular, is a quality product. ;)

<b><font color=blue>Logic over all.</font color=blue></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1) Can you rephrase the question?
2) The increased bus speed of the XP3200+ (DDR400 bus) is slightly better than the previous DDR333 bus.
3) Front Side Bus refers to the bus that goes from the CPU to the chipset's northbridge.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>