back-door voice mail number

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 30, 2004 8:51:23 PM

I am looking for the "back-door" voice mail number for 484-239-XXXX

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 10:29:15 PM

I'm not certain what you are asking for, but it may be that if this is your
number, you only have to input the # key to access your voice mail.

"Scott" <scott@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for the "back-door" voice mail number for 484-239-XXXX
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 11:58:51 PM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:29:15 -0500, "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote:

>I'm not certain what you are asking for, but it may be that if this is your
>number, you only have to input the # key to access your voice mail.

I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for a special number which will get
you right into the voice mail system without having to, 1) call your
cell from a landline phone, or 2) dialing *86 or your mobile number
from your cell. I don't think they exist anymore in most markets.
They were common in the early days of cellular, as back then you would
often need to call the back door number to retrieve your messages.

And I recall GTE Mobilnet used to have phone numbers in major markets
in advance of full roaming capability. For example, if we each had
cell phones and were in Florida, and one of us had to travel to NY,
you couldn't just call the number of the phone you wanted to reach.
You had to call the special number in New York, key in the cell number
when prompted, then it would place your call. This, of course, put
the burden of knowing where the wayward traveler was and paying for
the long distance call on the calling party.
Related resources
July 1, 2004 1:41:57 AM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:29:15 -0500, "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote:
>

>>I'm not certain what you are asking for, but it may be that if this is your
>>number, you only have to input the # key to access your voice mail.
>

> I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for a special number which will get
> you right into the voice mail system without having to, 1) call your
> cell from a landline phone, or 2) dialing *86 or your mobile number
> from your cell. I don't think they exist anymore in most markets.
> They were common in the early days of cellular, as back then you would
> often need to call the back door number to retrieve your messages.
>
> And I recall GTE Mobilnet used to have phone numbers in major markets
> in advance of full roaming capability. For example, if we each had
> cell phones and were in Florida, and one of us had to travel to NY,
> you couldn't just call the number of the phone you wanted to reach.
> You had to call the special number in New York, key in the cell number
> when prompted, then it would place your call. This, of course, put
> the burden of knowing where the wayward traveler was and paying for
> the long distance call on the calling party.

Correct. My battery was dead today and I wanted to check vmai. I know
that I can call my own cell number and push # to get my messages, but, I
thought that the "back-door" allowed me to check messages without
costing minutes off of my plan.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 4:43:36 AM

OT: Reminds me, is there a number you can call on
your landline phone that after you hang up will ring
that phone back? I remember this used to work long
ago, and was good for testing the phone ringer out.

Carl

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:29:15 -0500, "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote:
>
> >I'm not certain what you are asking for, but it may be that if this is
your
> >number, you only have to input the # key to access your voice mail.
>
> I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for a special number which will get
> you right into the voice mail system without having to, 1) call your
> cell from a landline phone, or 2) dialing *86 or your mobile number
> from your cell. I don't think they exist anymore in most markets.
> They were common in the early days of cellular, as back then you would
> often need to call the back door number to retrieve your messages.
>
> And I recall GTE Mobilnet used to have phone numbers in major markets
> in advance of full roaming capability. For example, if we each had
> cell phones and were in Florida, and one of us had to travel to NY,
> you couldn't just call the number of the phone you wanted to reach.
> You had to call the special number in New York, key in the cell number
> when prompted, then it would place your call. This, of course, put
> the burden of knowing where the wayward traveler was and paying for
> the long distance call on the calling party.

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 4:48:05 AM

OT: Reminds me, is there a number you can call on
your landline phone that after you hang up will ring
that phone back? I remember this used to work long
ago, and was good for testing the phone ringer out.

Carl

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:29:15 -0500, "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote:
>
> >I'm not certain what you are asking for, but it may be that if this is
your
> >number, you only have to input the # key to access your voice mail.
>
> I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for a special number which will get
> you right into the voice mail system without having to, 1) call your
> cell from a landline phone, or 2) dialing *86 or your mobile number
> from your cell. I don't think they exist anymore in most markets.
> They were common in the early days of cellular, as back then you would
> often need to call the back door number to retrieve your messages.
>
> And I recall GTE Mobilnet used to have phone numbers in major markets
> in advance of full roaming capability. For example, if we each had
> cell phones and were in Florida, and one of us had to travel to NY,
> you couldn't just call the number of the phone you wanted to reach.
> You had to call the special number in New York, key in the cell number
> when prompted, then it would place your call. This, of course, put
> the burden of knowing where the wayward traveler was and paying for
> the long distance call on the calling party.

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 4:59:31 AM

OT: Reminds me, is there a number you can call on
your landline phone that after you hang up will ring
that phone back? I remember this used to work long
ago, and was good for testing the phone ringer out.

Carl

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:29:15 -0500, "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote:
>
> >I'm not certain what you are asking for, but it may be that if this is
your
> >number, you only have to input the # key to access your voice mail.
>
> I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for a special number which will get
> you right into the voice mail system without having to, 1) call your
> cell from a landline phone, or 2) dialing *86 or your mobile number
> from your cell. I don't think they exist anymore in most markets.
> They were common in the early days of cellular, as back then you would
> often need to call the back door number to retrieve your messages.
>
> And I recall GTE Mobilnet used to have phone numbers in major markets
> in advance of full roaming capability. For example, if we each had
> cell phones and were in Florida, and one of us had to travel to NY,
> you couldn't just call the number of the phone you wanted to reach.
> You had to call the special number in New York, key in the cell number
> when prompted, then it would place your call. This, of course, put
> the burden of knowing where the wayward traveler was and paying for
> the long distance call on the calling party.

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 5:19:30 AM

Hi Carl: I can tell you about Verizon New Jersey, it's involved,
where are you ?

QE
================

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 00:48:05 GMT, "Carl S. Moore"
<csmNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

|OT: Reminds me, is there a number you can call on
|your landline phone that after you hang up will ring
|that phone back? I remember this used to work long
|ago, and was good for testing the phone ringer out.
|
|Carl

|"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
|> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:29:15 -0500, "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote:
|>
|> >I'm not certain what you are asking for, but it may be that if
this is
|your
|> >number, you only have to input the # key to access your voice
mail.

|> I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for a special number which will
get
|> you right into the voice mail system without having to, 1) call
your
|> cell from a landline phone, or 2) dialing *86 or your mobile number
|> from your cell. I don't think they exist anymore in most markets.
|> They were common in the early days of cellular, as back then you
would
|> often need to call the back door number to retrieve your messages.
|>
|> And I recall GTE Mobilnet used to have phone numbers in major
markets
|> in advance of full roaming capability. For example, if we each had
|> cell phones and were in Florida, and one of us had to travel to NY,
|> you couldn't just call the number of the phone you wanted to reach.
|> You had to call the special number in New York, key in the cell
number
|> when prompted, then it would place your call. This, of course, put
|> the burden of knowing where the wayward traveler was and paying for
|> the long distance call on the calling party.

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 5:43:23 AM

Northeast, so should be similar.

"QuienEs" <QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Hi Carl: I can tell you about Verizon New Jersey, it's involved,
> where are you ?
>
> QE
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 5:52:59 AM

Hadn't tried this for a few years and it doesn't work anymore.

FWIW, you would dial 550, 551 or 552 followed by the last 4 digits
of your fone number. Which of the 3 would work varied by excahnge and
you would have to experiment. Then you would get a tone, then jiggle
the switch hook sort-of at a 1/2 or 1/3 second rate, get a different
tone, then hang up. It would ring you back.

When I just tried all 3 I got either "I'm sorry..." or a reorder.

It's worth your calling VZ help peeps, I think I read about a service
you can get, for calling your extentions. I used to use the above to
test bells on new fones. Have been calling home from my cell to do
that lately.

Also try a Google on Usenet and the Web, the fone freakz probably
have helpful posts.

QE
=================

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:43:23 GMT, "Carl S. Moore"
<csmNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

|Northeast, so should be similar.

|"QuienEs" <QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote in message
|> Hi Carl: I can tell you about Verizon New Jersey, it's involved,
|> where are you ?
|>
|> QE

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 5:53:00 AM

southern nj and philly still works with 550 and the last 4 digits on your
landline. call then get the tone, flash, then it rings it back.... that and
958 pressed will get you the number you are dialing from........ that is
from verizon not VZW...

for the other poster there is a list of backdoors you might have to google
it i only have it for south jersey.

brian s.

> Hadn't tried this for a few years and it doesn't work anymore.
>
> FWIW, you would dial 550, 551 or 552 followed by the last 4 digits
> of your fone number. Which of the 3 would work varied by excahnge and
> you would have to experiment. Then you would get a tone, then jiggle
> the switch hook sort-of at a 1/2 or 1/3 second rate, get a different
> tone, then hang up. It would ring you back.
>
> When I just tried all 3 I got either "I'm sorry..." or a reorder.
>
> It's worth your calling VZ help peeps, I think I read about a service
> you can get, for calling your extentions. I used to use the above to
> test bells on new fones. Have been calling home from my cell to do
> that lately.
>
> Also try a Google on Usenet and the Web, the fone freakz probably
> have helpful posts.
>
> QE
> =================
>

> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:43:23 GMT, "Carl S. Moore"
> <csmNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> |Northeast, so should be similar.
> |

> |"QuienEs" <QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote in message
> |> Hi Carl: I can tell you about Verizon New Jersey, it's involved,
> |> where are you ?
> |>
> |> QE

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 10:25:28 AM

In article <5bk6e01m1ro07h7rkvr4mdcmi68qqrugol@4ax.com>,
The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:29:15 -0500, "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote:
>
>>I'm not certain what you are asking for, but it may be that if this is your
>>number, you only have to input the # key to access your voice mail.
>
>I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for a special number which will get
>you right into the voice mail system without having to, 1) call your
>cell from a landline phone, or 2) dialing *86 or your mobile number
>from your cell. I don't think they exist anymore in most markets.
>They were common in the early days of cellular, as back then you would
>often need to call the back door number to retrieve your messages.
>
>And I recall GTE Mobilnet used to have phone numbers in major markets
>in advance of full roaming capability. For example, if we each had
>cell phones and were in Florida, and one of us had to travel to NY,
>you couldn't just call the number of the phone you wanted to reach.
>You had to call the special number in New York, key in the cell number
>when prompted, then it would place your call. This, of course, put
>the burden of knowing where the wayward traveler was and paying for
>the long distance call on the calling party.

There are two different things mentioned here. The OP is talking about
a direct number for the Voice Mail system, where you call the number,
and enter the cell#, to leave or listen to messages for that number's
voice mail. These numbers seem to be disappearing, but they still exist
in some areas (e.g, San Francisco Bay area). They are nice when you want
to just leave a message for someone without ringing their phone. Also,
if you want to check your VM from a landline, you don't have to wait for
your phone to ring and finally go to VM. And using "outcall" from, say
a business PBX, you can be paged that you have a message on that system
(although VZW now has a service which does this in a cleaner way.)

The other function is the "roamer access port". Before roaming was
automatic, you would direct people to call the "roamer access" number
for the system you would be visiting. They call that number, get a
second dial tone, and dial the 10-digit number of the phone roaming
on that system. If your phone was registered on that system, it would
ring. This was also used to bypass long-distance charges, where your
caller would have to pay long-distance to call your cell's number, and
you would have to pay long-distance (plus the airtime) to get the call,
when the other person was on the next block.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 10:25:29 AM

On 1 Jul 2004 06:25:28 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote:

>There are two different things mentioned here. The OP is talking about
>a direct number for the Voice Mail system, where you call the number,
>and enter the cell#, to leave or listen to messages for that number's
>voice mail. These numbers seem to be disappearing, but they still exist
>in some areas (e.g, San Francisco Bay area). They are nice when you want
>to just leave a message for someone without ringing their phone. Also,
>if you want to check your VM from a landline, you don't have to wait for
>your phone to ring and finally go to VM. And using "outcall" from, say
>a business PBX, you can be paged that you have a message on that system
>(although VZW now has a service which does this in a cleaner way.)
>
>The other function is the "roamer access port". Before roaming was
>automatic, you would direct people to call the "roamer access" number
>for the system you would be visiting. They call that number, get a
>second dial tone, and dial the 10-digit number of the phone roaming
>on that system. If your phone was registered on that system, it would
>ring. This was also used to bypass long-distance charges, where your
>caller would have to pay long-distance to call your cell's number, and
>you would have to pay long-distance (plus the airtime) to get the call,
>when the other person was on the next block.

Aren't those the exact same two things I described?
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 10:29:08 AM

In article <m7r6e0l4o0me59a9pq2lrjkjq6uhk5s0ih@4ax.com>,
QuienEs <QuienEsREMOVETHIS@ANDTHISoptonline.net> wrote:
>Hadn't tried this for a few years and it doesn't work anymore.
>
>FWIW, you would dial 550, 551 or 552 followed by the last 4 digits
>of your fone number. Which of the 3 would work varied by excahnge and
>you would have to experiment. Then you would get a tone, then jiggle
>the switch hook sort-of at a 1/2 or 1/3 second rate, get a different
>tone, then hang up. It would ring you back.

I think you are talking about landline calls here, not cellular.
That would be Verizon Communications, not Verizon Wireless.
Two different (but related) companies.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 10:43:33 AM

Scott wrote:
> I am looking for the "back-door" voice mail number for 484-239-XXXX
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thanks!

Try one of these:

Allentown PA (484) 225-8686
West Chester PA (484) 678-8686

Found them here:

http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm
July 1, 2004 2:35:14 PM

Ralph Alvy wrote:

> Try one of these:
>
> Allentown PA (484) 225-8686
> West Chester PA (484) 678-8686
>
> Found them here:
>
> http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm

AWESOME! Thanks Ralph, number 1 did the trick!

Thanks, Scott
July 1, 2004 9:43:23 PM

> The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:29:15 -0500, "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote:
> >

> >>I'm not certain what you are asking for, but it may be that if this is
your
> >>number, you only have to input the # key to access your voice mail.
> >

> > I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for a special number which will get
> > you right into the voice mail system without having to, 1) call your
> > cell from a landline phone, or 2) dialing *86 or your mobile number
> > from your cell. I don't think they exist anymore in most markets.
> > They were common in the early days of cellular, as back then you would
> > often need to call the back door number to retrieve your messages.
> >
> > And I recall GTE Mobilnet used to have phone numbers in major markets
> > in advance of full roaming capability. For example, if we each had
> > cell phones and were in Florida, and one of us had to travel to NY,
> > you couldn't just call the number of the phone you wanted to reach.
> > You had to call the special number in New York, key in the cell number
> > when prompted, then it would place your call. This, of course, put
> > the burden of knowing where the wayward traveler was and paying for
> > the long distance call on the calling party.
> >
> Correct. My battery was dead today and I wanted to check vmai. I know
> that I can call my own cell number and push # to get my messages, but, I
> thought that the "back-door" allowed me to check messages without
> costing minutes off of my plan.

As an ATTWS customer, I find it hard to believe that VZW could get away with
charging airtime when a subscriber called voicemail from a landline.

No such charge with ATTWS--you can make unlimited calls to your wireless
number's voicemail without charge. Only time you pay is when you call in
from your wireless phone--and even then you get free nights and weekends on
many plans.

Free incoming text messages, too. Not the 2-cents per inbound that VZW
charges.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 10:15:22 PM

"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com> wrote in message

> As an ATTWS customer, I find it hard to believe that VZW could get away
with
> charging airtime when a subscriber called voicemail from a landline.
>
> No such charge with ATTWS--you can make unlimited calls to your wireless
> number's voicemail without charge. Only time you pay is when you call in
> from your wireless phone--and even then you get free nights and weekends
on
> many plans.
>
> Free incoming text messages, too. Not the 2-cents per inbound that VZW
> charges.

That's the same with VerizonWireless...no charge if you call from a landline
to retrieve your voicemail. They do charge for text messages, though. :-)

Harold
July 1, 2004 11:08:10 PM

"Harold Sherrill" <hlsherrill@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com> wrote in message
> >

> > As an ATTWS customer, I find it hard to believe that VZW could get away
> with
> > charging airtime when a subscriber called voicemail from a landline.
> >
> > No such charge with ATTWS--you can make unlimited calls to your wireless
> > number's voicemail without charge. Only time you pay is when you call
in
> > from your wireless phone--and even then you get free nights and weekends
> on
> > many plans.
> >
> > Free incoming text messages, too. Not the 2-cents per inbound that VZW
> > charges.
> >

> That's the same with VerizonWireless...no charge if you call from a
landline
> to retrieve your voicemail. They do charge for text messages, though.
:-)

> Harold

My daughter signed up for a Verizon prepaid service, about a year ago, and
learned that she was charged airtime whenever she retrieved her messages,
whether from her wireless phone or from a landline.

She promptly returned her phone, got clipped for "account setup fee" and
went with the GoPhone from ATTWS.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 11:52:56 PM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:08:10 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com>
wrote:

>> That's the same with VerizonWireless...no charge if you call from a
>landline
>> to retrieve your voicemail. They do charge for text messages, though.
>:-)
>>
>> Harold
>
>My daughter signed up for a Verizon prepaid service, about a year ago, and
>learned that she was charged airtime whenever she retrieved her messages,
>whether from her wireless phone or from a landline.

That is the policy for Free-Up accounts. The account rep should have
explained it to you better when you signed up for service. Regular
accounts are not charged when retrieving VM from a landline.

Question to anyone who knows: Does calling the backdoor numbers save
you the charge on FreeUp accounts? My son lost my FU phone (I think
on purpose) so I can't test it to know. I'd like to know before
getting another.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 2:04:39 AM

Scott wrote:
> Ralph Alvy wrote:
>

>> Try one of these:
>>
>> Allentown PA (484) 225-8686
>> West Chester PA (484) 678-8686
>>
>> Found them here:
>>
>> http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm
>

> AWESOME! Thanks Ralph, number 1 did the trick!
>
> Thanks, Scott
No problem, Scott. Those backdoor numbers are update frequently on that
list.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 4:25:24 AM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:29:15 -0500, "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for a special number which will get
> you right into the voice mail system without having to, 1) call your
> cell from a landline phone, or 2) dialing *86 or your mobile number
> from your cell. I don't think they exist anymore in most markets.

Here's the continuously updated list of Verizon Wireless backdoor numbers:

http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 4:25:25 AM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:25:24 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
wrote:

>The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:29:15 -0500, "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for a special number which will get
>> you right into the voice mail system without having to, 1) call your
>> cell from a landline phone, or 2) dialing *86 or your mobile number
>> from your cell. I don't think they exist anymore in most markets.
>
>Here's the continuously updated list of Verizon Wireless backdoor numbers:
>
>http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm

Columbia seems to be the only one left in SC.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 5:08:17 AM

Thanks... I'll try it.

Sorry for some of the confusion from Verizon and VZW, that's
why I posted the OT (off topic), as I figured I'd get some
info from the forum here easiest.

Carl

"QuienEs" <QuienEsREMOVETHIS@ANDTHISoptonline.net> wrote in message
> Hadn't tried this for a few years and it doesn't work anymore.
>
> FWIW, you would dial 550, 551 or 552 followed by the last 4 digits
> of your fone number. Which of the 3 would work varied by excahnge and
> you would have to experiment. Then you would get a tone, then jiggle
> the switch hook sort-of at a 1/2 or 1/3 second rate, get a different
> tone, then hang up. It would ring you back.
>
> When I just tried all 3 I got either "I'm sorry..." or a reorder.
>
> It's worth your calling VZ help peeps, I think I read about a service
> you can get, for calling your extentions. I used to use the above to
> test bells on new fones. Have been calling home from my cell to do
> that lately.
>
> Also try a Google on Usenet and the Web, the fone freakz probably
> have helpful posts.
>
> QE
> =================
July 2, 2004 8:43:40 AM

I tried the Las Vegas number and it was someones home phone....

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 23:16:45 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:25:24 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
>wrote:
>
>>The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:29:15 -0500, "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote:
>>> I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for a special number which will get
>>> you right into the voice mail system without having to, 1) call your
>>> cell from a landline phone, or 2) dialing *86 or your mobile number
>>> from your cell. I don't think they exist anymore in most markets.
>>
>>Here's the continuously updated list of Verizon Wireless backdoor numbers:
>>
>>http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm
>
>Columbia seems to be the only one left in SC.
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 8:32:20 AM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:58:51 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the
universe, and everything:

>And I recall GTE Mobilnet used to have phone numbers in major markets
>in advance of full roaming capability. For example, if we each had
>cell phones and were in Florida, and one of us had to travel to NY,
>you couldn't just call the number of the phone you wanted to reach.
>You had to call the special number in New York, key in the cell number
>when prompted, then it would place your call. This, of course, put
>the burden of knowing where the wayward traveler was and paying for
>the long distance call on the calling party.

I thought that the point of that was so that a person local to where you
were visiting could call a local number to get you instead of long distance
back to your home market. This also then served to save you the long
distance on your cell bill from home back to wherever you were. Come to
think of it, even if someone back home wanted to call you, it was much
cheaper for them to use their landline long distance to call the local
number for where you were than for you to pay it on your cell service
(IIRC, ld on my original plan was $.25/min.).

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"There's no such thing as a non-sexual comment on Usenet. :o )"
- James Archer in alt.geek
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 8:55:53 AM

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 04:32:20 GMT, David S
<dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

>I thought that the point of that was so that a person local to where you
>were visiting could call a local number to get you instead of long distance
>back to your home market.

As the GTE rep explained it to me, it was designed to provide
"roaming" access, but in practice, it served either function equally
well. I recall receiving a list of numbers across the country that we
kept at the office in case we needed to reach the boss while he was on
one of his ski trips to Colorado or North Carolina. This was around
1988.

I think by the time I got my own cell service in 1995, calling a phone
out of it's home market worked much more like it does now, just much
more expensive.
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 9:16:25 PM

Does anyone know the # for Winston-Salem, NC?

Thanks.

"Scott" <scott@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for the "back-door" voice mail number for 484-239-XXXX
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 12:40:02 AM

Janie Collins wrote:

> Does anyone know the # for Winston-Salem, NC?
>
> Thanks.

I looked in http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm and found these for
NC:

Asheville NC (828) 779-7600
Asheville NC (828) 774-0038
Goldsboro NC (919) 222-9951
Greenville NC (252) 717-6245
Greenville NC (252) 341-9952
Raleigh NC (919) 740-6245
Smithfield NC (919) 915-9910
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 1:55:11 AM

Ralph,

Thanks so much! I actually looked on that site and none of the #s listed is
my area code, so (having tried) I get the message that "the number you
entered (my cell #) is not a valid mailbox".

Janie

"Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message
> Janie Collins wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know the # for Winston-Salem, NC?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I looked in http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm and found these for
> NC:
>
> Asheville NC (828) 779-7600
> Asheville NC (828) 774-0038
> Goldsboro NC (919) 222-9951
> Greenville NC (252) 717-6245
> Greenville NC (252) 341-9952
> Raleigh NC (919) 740-6245
> Smithfield NC (919) 915-9910
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 5:49:53 AM

Janie Collins wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> Thanks so much! I actually looked on that site and none of the #s listed
> is my area code, so (having tried) I get the message that "the number you
> entered (my cell #) is not a valid mailbox".

Ah. Well, there might not be such a number for you. They're apparently
pulling them off the market gradually.
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 9:39:15 AM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 03:03:27 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the
universe, and everything:

>On 1 Jul 2004 06:25:28 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote:
>
>>There are two different things mentioned here. The OP is talking about
>>a direct number for the Voice Mail system, where you call the number,
>>and enter the cell#, to leave or listen to messages for that number's
>>voice mail. These numbers seem to be disappearing, but they still exist
>>in some areas (e.g, San Francisco Bay area). They are nice when you want
>>to just leave a message for someone without ringing their phone. Also,
>>if you want to check your VM from a landline, you don't have to wait for
>>your phone to ring and finally go to VM. And using "outcall" from, say
>>a business PBX, you can be paged that you have a message on that system
>>(although VZW now has a service which does this in a cleaner way.)
>>
>>The other function is the "roamer access port". Before roaming was
>>automatic, you would direct people to call the "roamer access" number
>>for the system you would be visiting. They call that number, get a
>>second dial tone, and dial the 10-digit number of the phone roaming
>>on that system. If your phone was registered on that system, it would
>>ring. This was also used to bypass long-distance charges, where your
>>caller would have to pay long-distance to call your cell's number, and
>>you would have to pay long-distance (plus the airtime) to get the call,
>>when the other person was on the next block.
>
>Aren't those the exact same two things I described?

Yes, but he explained it better for those who didn't already know it.

(He also explained the second part better than I did.)

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I avoid church religiously." - Lt. Col. Henry Blake
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 9:45:02 AM

CharlesH wrote:
> And using "outcall" from, say
> a business PBX, you can be paged that you have a message on that system
> (although VZW now has a service which does this in a cleaner way.)

What is this service that VZW offers? Or are you just talking about its
voicemail?
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 9:45:03 AM

Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote:
> CharlesH wrote:
>> And using "outcall" from, say
>> a business PBX, you can be paged that you have a message on that system
>> (although VZW now has a service which does this in a cleaner way.)
>
> What is this service that VZW offers? Or are you just talking about its
> voicemail?

It's called Office Message Alert. Your office PBX/phone system dials the
tollfree OMA number and sends your 10-digit phone number along with a
10-digit callback number (or someone can call that number manually and
key in the information). You then receive the info as a numeric page on
your phone. It's a free service but you must ask for it to be turned on.

July 4, 2004 7:10:17 PM

Steven J Sobol wrote:
> It's called Office Message Alert. Your office PBX/phone system dials the
> tollfree OMA number and sends your 10-digit phone number along with a
> 10-digit callback number (or someone can call that number manually and
> key in the information). You then receive the info as a numeric page on
> your phone. It's a free service but you must ask for it to be turned on.

Interesting. I can use that. I've always relied on backdoor numbers for
that. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 7:10:18 PM

Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote:
> Steven J Sobol wrote:
>> It's called Office Message Alert. Your office PBX/phone system dials the
>> tollfree OMA number and sends your 10-digit phone number along with a
>> 10-digit callback number (or someone can call that number manually and
>> key in the information). You then receive the info as a numeric page on
>> your phone. It's a free service but you must ask for it to be turned on.
>
> Interesting. I can use that. I've always relied on backdoor numbers for
> that. Thanks.

Oh. One other thing. I actually didn't quite describe the service
correctly - it's sent as a TEXT MESSAGE and is subject to the customary
text message charges. Messages sent via OMA are deducted from your SMS
bucket if you pay for one of the text messaging packages and cost 2 cents
per message to receive if you don't have a package or if you go over your
monthly allotment. There is no monthly fee for OMA itself, though.

Numeric pages left by callers leaving callback numbers on your voicemail
are not considered text messages and do not have those costs associated with
them.

Sorry about that.

July 5, 2004 12:52:31 AM

Steven J Sobol wrote:

> Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote:
>> Steven J Sobol wrote:
>>> It's called Office Message Alert. Your office PBX/phone system dials the
>>> tollfree OMA number and sends your 10-digit phone number along with a
>>> 10-digit callback number (or someone can call that number manually and
>>> key in the information). You then receive the info as a numeric page on
>>> your phone. It's a free service but you must ask for it to be turned on.
>>
>> Interesting. I can use that. I've always relied on backdoor numbers for
>> that. Thanks.
>
> Oh. One other thing. I actually didn't quite describe the service
> correctly - it's sent as a TEXT MESSAGE and is subject to the customary
> text message charges. Messages sent via OMA are deducted from your SMS
> bucket if you pay for one of the text messaging packages and cost 2 cents
> per message to receive if you don't have a package or if you go over your
> monthly allotment. There is no monthly fee for OMA itself, though.
>
> Numeric pages left by callers leaving callback numbers on your voicemail
> are not considered text messages and do not have those costs associated
> with them.
>
> Sorry about that.

Thanks for the clarification. Still interested. I'll call Verizon about
this.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 11:27:17 AM

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:53:58 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>Numeric pages left by callers leaving callback numbers on your voicemail
>are not considered text messages and do not have those costs associated with
>them.

I did not know that. Thank you for adding to my knowledge base.:)
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 11:32:55 AM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:03:48 GMT, David S
<dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

>>I think by the time I got my own cell service in 1995, calling a phone
>>out of it's home market worked much more like it does now, just much
>>more expensive.
>
>I got my first in January 1997. They gave a booklet of local access numbers
>for other cities. If I registered with the local system daily, a call
>direct-dialed to my number would find me and I would be charged ld from
>home to where I was. That was on an $11.75/month, no minutes plan, minutes
>were .27 peak, .12 off-peak, plus .02/min. "network interconnection fee."
>They also gave me a booklet that told me how to dial my calls when I was in
>other cities (7, 10, 11 or ??? digits, etc...).

I don't remember how people could reach me, I was always more
concerned with getting out. I recall the infamous "per day" roaming
charges. If you made a roaming call on some systems, even just one 5
second call, you got hit with a daily roaming fee of a few bucks, on
top of the per minute roaming charge. I do recall something about
having to call a special number (don't recall if it was different in
each market) in order to register with a non-home system. I presume
it was so I could be found by a caller.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 12:55:12 PM

"Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message

> I looked in http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm and found these for
> NC:
>
> Asheville NC (828) 779-7600
> Asheville NC (828) 774-0038
> Goldsboro NC (919) 222-9951
> Greenville NC (252) 717-6245
> Greenville NC (252) 341-9952
> Raleigh NC (919) 740-6245
> Smithfield NC (919) 915-9910

Most of those are US Cellular Numbers, look beside the number on that
mountain wireless list for the provider. All the numbers listed are not VZW
numbers.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 4:26:12 PM

The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:53:58 -0500, Steven J Sobol
> <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>
>>Numeric pages left by callers leaving callback numbers on your voicemail
>>are not considered text messages and do not have those costs associated with
>>them.
>
> I did not know that. Thank you for adding to my knowledge base.:)

You may want to verify that with VZW, but I never got charged for people
leaving callback numbers even when I had text messaging turned off...

July 5, 2004 6:50:31 PM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:26:12 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:53:58 -0500, Steven J Sobol
>> <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Numeric pages left by callers leaving callback numbers on your voicemail
>>>are not considered text messages and do not have those costs associated with
>>>them.
>>
>> I did not know that. Thank you for adding to my knowledge base.:)
>
>You may want to verify that with VZW, but I never got charged for people
>leaving callback numbers even when I had text messaging turned off...

I will. I never thought to ask. I just presumed it was like that.
Since I normally get 15-20 incoming SMS a month, I wouldn't have
noticed a couple extra cents.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 9:11:31 PM

Scott James wrote:

> "Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message
>
>> I looked in http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm and found these
>> for NC:
>>
>> Asheville NC (828) 779-7600
>> Asheville NC (828) 774-0038
>> Goldsboro NC (919) 222-9951
>> Greenville NC (252) 717-6245
>> Greenville NC (252) 341-9952
>> Raleigh NC (919) 740-6245
>> Smithfield NC (919) 915-9910
>

> Most of those are US Cellular Numbers, look beside the number on that
> mountain wireless list for the provider. All the numbers listed are not
> VZW numbers.

I see. That list used to be just VZW backdoor numbers. When I saw "US
Cellular" next to those I listed, I just assumed that US Cellular was a
reseller of VZW numbers, so deleted that reference when I pasted it to my
reply. But now that I look further down the list, I see some Cingular
numbers too - clearly not a VZW reseller.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 9:11:32 PM

Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote:

> I see. That list used to be just VZW backdoor numbers. When I saw "US
> Cellular" next to those I listed, I just assumed that US Cellular was a
> reseller of VZW numbers, so deleted that reference when I pasted it to my
> reply. But now that I look further down the list, I see some Cingular
> numbers too - clearly not a VZW reseller.

US Cellular maintains their own networks everywhere, as far as I know.
They are a VZW roaming partner but don't resell VZW...

July 6, 2004 8:03:03 AM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 07:32:55 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the
universe, and everything:

>I don't remember how people could reach me, I was always more
>concerned with getting out. I recall the infamous "per day" roaming
>charges. If you made a roaming call on some systems, even just one 5
>second call, you got hit with a daily roaming fee of a few bucks, on
>top of the per minute roaming charge. I do recall something about

I didn't have one that early, but I remember a friend who worried about
that all the time (he got his phone when he was away at school, so here at
home was roaming).

No, come to think of it, I had to switch my first phone from B to A on a
trip to St. Louis so I would still be on Ameritech and not get a roaming
charge.

>having to call a special number (don't recall if it was different in
>each market) in order to register with a non-home system. I presume
>it was so I could be found by a caller.

I had to do that on my trip, every couple hours on the road and daily while
there. I don't remember what it was, but it's the same code people in this
group occasionally spit out as a way of reminding the local system that
your phone is there and on (which is always followed by other people
pointing out that it works just as well to call #MIN, #BAL, *611, etc.,
etc.).

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Democracy is the art of running the circus from the monkey cage."
- H. L. Mencken
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 7:11:26 PM

Steven J Sobol wrote:

> It's called Office Message Alert. Your office PBX/phone system dials the
> tollfree OMA number and sends your 10-digit phone number along with a
> 10-digit callback number (or someone can call that number manually and
> key in the information). You then receive the info as a numeric page on
> your phone. It's a free service but you must ask for it to be turned on.

Just found out that this service requires I have at least 5 business lines
with Verizon. I only have 3 with them.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 9:49:39 PM

Any ideas about where I can find such a number for the WISCONSIN market
(Milwuakee?)

Thanks in advance.

Stan

> Here's the continuously updated list of Verizon Wireless backdoor numbers:
>
> http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 2:47:24 AM

What do these numbers do for me?
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 2:47:25 AM

Steve B wrote:
> What do these numbers do for me?

Well, not sure how many are left but, basically, they give
you a local *landline* access to your voice mail.

Maybe not so relevant anymore but suppose you have
a local digital choice plan on the west coast and want
to check your voice mail from a major city on the east
coast. Dial the local "back door" number from a landline
and you have toll/roam free access to your voice mail.
I think it used to be that it didn't deduct from your minute
allotment either.

This is a little neater although a bit more involved and
somewhat commercial application (probably not what
VZW intended). Get an answering machine that will
call forward with an editable string. Someone calls
your answering machine, answering machine grabs
the callerID, calls the back door, leaves you a voice
mail with the original caller's callerID for the call back
number... you get a voice mail indication with the
call back number. You don't even need to use your
minutes if you use a landline to call back from -- free
pager service.

With America's Choice and other inexpensive "no roaming"
options the back door numbers are not such a big issue
anymore.

-Quick
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:51:38 AM

Stanley Naimon wrote:

> Any ideas about where I can find such a number for the WISCONSIN
> market (Milwuakee?)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Stan
>
>> Here's the continuously updated list of Verizon Wireless backdoor
>> numbers:
>>
>> http://www.mountainwireless.com/vzw_vm.htm

Many numbers on the list, I imagine, are no longer any good. The ones
in my area (310 and 818) are all dead now. Verizon Wireless is
apparently trashing them gradually.
!