PunJab

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Hello,
I am just about to make a duel boot system and im am finding it difficult to understand partitioning. If someone could tell me ho to install win XP and red hat linux on i would be great full.

Something i need to know are how to use fdisk properly to make a partition for linux like which one is it primary DOS etc?

Or if someone could gmme a step by step guide on how to do it. or if there is another link about it to tell me plz.

thanks guys

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
fdisk works well with win98, but if you able to afford using Powerquest partition magic, it will be easier to you to create different partitions.

PunJab

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
so if i get that program ill just be able to install win XP, then load up XP and partition thur partition magic into the right type so i can then install linux

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
System commander is a great program for dual booting with windows and linux, but its a little hard to get working correctly

<i>Royal Fusileres, Company C</i>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Just don't take up the whole disk for Windows XP.
Leave a a couple of GB for Linux.
Linux usually has it's own partitioner.

The loving are the daring!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I would only use Partition Magic if you already have WinXP installed and you want to partition it. You could save that money by using fdisk, if you don’t mind reinstalling everything. You can find out how to use fdisk by searching the internet, or check out the windows threads here at THG, unless someone wants to tell you how. I just recently did in the windows thread.

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault