Taskbar Properties Question

Start/right click on Properties/Taskbar/Customize supposedly lets me select
individual icons to be displayed in the lower right corner of the screen,
next to the clock. Most (all?) have 3 Behavior options; Hide when Inactive,
Always Hide and Always Show.

Which of these options I select seems to have little to do with what shows
up on the taskbar, however. A couple of questions:
1) What am I doing wrong - or not understanding?
2) There are quite a few "Items" listed that I don't have on my comp, and
there are several items not listed that I do have. How can I get the "right
stuff" to appear?

Thx all.

Dave

I may just be mincing words here, but you are talking about 2 different
areas.
The first you described is the Notification' area..that displays programs or
applications that are running, however, if you have 'always show' selected,
but that program has been shutdown..for example, you closed down your
firewall, that icon would no longer be visible in the Notification Area. If
you have 'always hide' selected, you won't see it unless you click on the
double arrow << which will expand the notification area to show all
applications that are hidden.

" QUOTE "Which of these options I select seems to have little to do with
what shows
up on the taskbar, however QUOTE

The taskbar is the area to the left of the notification area, and there you
will find your 'Quick Launch' items, if you have that enabled..also, when
you have multiple windows open, all but the active one will reside in the
taskbar as minimized.

As far as removing Past Items..This I copied and pasted from The Elder Geek

Click Start > Run > Regedit

Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values.

Open Task Manager, click Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, then click End
Process.

Still in Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, then click
OK.

"Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
> Start/right click on Properties/Taskbar/Customize supposedly lets me
> select individual icons to be displayed in the lower right corner of the
> screen, next to the clock. Most (all?) have 3 Behavior options; Hide when
> Inactive, Always Hide and Always Show.
>
> Which of these options I select seems to have little to do with what shows
> up on the taskbar, however. A couple of questions:
> 1) What am I doing wrong - or not understanding?
> 2) There are quite a few "Items" listed that I don't have on my comp, and
> there are several items not listed that I do have. How can I get the
> "right stuff" to appear?
>
> Thx all.
>
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Ivee
My careless use of the word Taskbar notwithstanding, I did get the registry
edited as you instructed. Whole lot better. THx much

Dave

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>I may just be mincing words here, but you are talking about 2 different
>areas.
> The first you described is the Notification' area..that displays programs
> or applications that are running, however, if you have 'always show'
> selected, but that program has been shutdown..for example, you closed down
> your firewall, that icon would no longer be visible in the Notification
> Area. If you have 'always hide' selected, you won't see it unless you
> click on the double arrow << which will expand the notification area to
> show all applications that are hidden.
>
> " QUOTE "Which of these options I select seems to have little to do with
> what shows
> up on the taskbar, however QUOTE
>
> The taskbar is the area to the left of the notification area, and there
> you will find your 'Quick Launch' items, if you have that enabled..also,
> when you have multiple windows open, all but the active one will reside in
> the taskbar as minimized.
>
> As far as removing Past Items..This I copied and pasted from The Elder
> Geek
>

> Click Start > Run > Regedit
>
> Navigate to
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify
>
> Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values.
>
> Open Task Manager, click Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, then click End
> Process.
>
> Still in Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, then
> click OK.
>

> "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
>> Start/right click on Properties/Taskbar/Customize supposedly lets me
>> select individual icons to be displayed in the lower right corner of the
>> screen, next to the clock. Most (all?) have 3 Behavior options; Hide
>> when Inactive, Always Hide and Always Show.
>>
>> Which of these options I select seems to have little to do with what
>> shows up on the taskbar, however. A couple of questions:
>> 1) What am I doing wrong - or not understanding?
>> 2) There are quite a few "Items" listed that I don't have on my comp,
>> and there are several items not listed that I do have. How can I get the
>> "right stuff" to appear?
>>
>> Thx all.
>>
>> Dave

I'm glad you worked it out. Good job.

"Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
> Ivee
> My careless use of the word Taskbar notwithstanding, I did get the
> registry
> edited as you instructed. Whole lot better. THx much
>
> Dave
>

> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I may just be mincing words here, but you are talking about 2 different
>>areas.
>> The first you described is the Notification' area..that displays programs
>> or applications that are running, however, if you have 'always show'
>> selected, but that program has been shutdown..for example, you closed
>> down your firewall, that icon would no longer be visible in the
>> Notification Area. If you have 'always hide' selected, you won't see it
>> unless you click on the double arrow << which will expand the
>> notification area to show all applications that are hidden.
>>
>> " QUOTE "Which of these options I select seems to have little to do with
>> what shows
>> up on the taskbar, however QUOTE
>>
>> The taskbar is the area to the left of the notification area, and there
>> you will find your 'Quick Launch' items, if you have that enabled..also,
>> when you have multiple windows open, all but the active one will reside
>> in the taskbar as minimized.
>>
>> As far as removing Past Items..This I copied and pasted from The Elder
>> Geek
>>

>> Click Start > Run > Regedit
>>
>> Navigate to
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify
>>
>> Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values.
>>
>> Open Task Manager, click Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, then click
>> End Process.
>>
>> Still in Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, then
>> click OK.
>>

>> "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
>>> Start/right click on Properties/Taskbar/Customize supposedly lets me
>>> select individual icons to be displayed in the lower right corner of the
>>> screen, next to the clock. Most (all?) have 3 Behavior options; Hide
>>> when Inactive, Always Hide and Always Show.
>>>
>>> Which of these options I select seems to have little to do with what
>>> shows up on the taskbar, however. A couple of questions:
>>> 1) What am I doing wrong - or not understanding?
>>> 2) There are quite a few "Items" listed that I don't have on my comp,
>>> and there are several items not listed that I do have. How can I get
>>> the "right stuff" to appear?
>>>
>>> Thx all.
>>>
>>> Dave

TRENDING THREADS