Background option has GONE from display menu in control pa..

Got major problem although not seems trivial but still niggles away at me.I
had a problem with a bad trojan once but thanks to ad-aware_se i managed to
sort it out.since then i`ve not been able to find the option on my log in
side of computer for changing the desktop background,only screensaver and
screen resolution.Really annoys me especially when it is there on my brothers
log in side.PLEASE HELP!!!!
I have tried restoring settings from before i lost them but even then
nothing helps me.Much appreciated.
Yours
--
RKneller

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:F4306C19-2FC6-4DFB-82BB-66DFC55BC052@microsoft.com,
Dizzyegg05 <dizzyegg05@msn.com> had this to say:

> Got major problem although not seems trivial but still niggles away
> at me.I had a problem with a bad trojan once but thanks to
> ad-aware_se i managed to sort it out.since then i`ve not been able to
> find the option on my log in side of computer for changing the
> desktop background,only screensaver and screen resolution.Really
> annoys me especially when it is there on my brothers log in
> side.PLEASE HELP!!!!
> I have tried restoring settings from before i lost them but even then
> nothing helps me.Much appreciated.
> Yours

I'd try this first:

Allow Wallpaper/Background Changes :
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/wallpaperenable.reg

(download and select merge or double click on it, it's safe as it's from
Kelly.)

Don't thank me for it if it works, thank Kelly the next time you see her in
one of the groups.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:34:57 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:

>In news:F4306C19-2FC6-4DFB-82BB-66DFC55BC052@microsoft.com,
>Dizzyegg05 <dizzyegg05@msn.com> had this to say:

>> Got major problem although not seems trivial but still niggles away
>> at me.I had a problem with a bad trojan once but thanks to
>> ad-aware_se i managed to sort it out.since then i`ve not been able to
>> find the option on my log in side of computer for changing the
>> desktop background,only screensaver and screen resolution.Really
>> annoys me especially when it is there on my brothers log in
>> side.PLEASE HELP!!!!
>> I have tried restoring settings from before i lost them but even then
>> nothing helps me.Much appreciated.
>> Yours
>
>I'd try this first:
>
>Allow Wallpaper/Background Changes :
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/wallpaperenable.reg
>
>(download and select merge or double click on it, it's safe as it's from
>Kelly.)
>
>Don't thank me for it if it works, thank Kelly the next time you see her in
>one of the groups.
Brilliant! I've been looking for a key which would stop the little dears
at my school changing the desktops for one's less appropriate.
fantastic!
MH

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:aeb9915gh9bpervdnes9fqo9rcecl6ot4j@4ax.com,
Mike Hyndman <mike@tmphyndman.demon.co.uk> had this to say:

> Brilliant! I've been looking for a key which would stop the little
> dears at my school changing the desktops for one's less appropriate.
> fantastic!
> MH

LOL I take it you found the other one? The one which will disable the
ability to change the wallpaper? Kelly's site is one that I tend to keep on
hand in my favorites and I refer to it often. At one point, I'm not sure if
you still can, you could order the entire site on CD. Kind of neat really.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:54:10 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:

>In news:aeb9915gh9bpervdnes9fqo9rcecl6ot4j@4ax.com,
>Mike Hyndman <mike@tmphyndman.demon.co.uk> had this to say:

>> Brilliant! I've been looking for a key which would stop the little
>> dears at my school changing the desktops for one's less appropriate.
>> fantastic!
>> MH
>
>LOL I take it you found the other one? The one which will disable the
>ability to change the wallpaper?

Yes that's the one I'm using, just need one that would allow one to
password protect the control panel. I can switch CP off but it's a PITA
having to re enable it when I need to use it.
> Kelly's site is one that I tend to keep on
>hand in my favorites and I refer to it often.
Me too now ;-)
>At one point, I'm not sure if
>you still can, you could order the entire site on CD. Kind of neat really.
Veerrryy handy.
Regards
Mike H

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:usk99153gof4lgh5n5h24tciids32fp0in@4ax.com,
Mike Hyndman <mike@tmphyndman.demon.co.uk> had this to say:

> Yes that's the one I'm using, just need one that would allow one to
> password protect the control panel. I can switch CP off but it's a
> PITA having to re enable it when I need to use it.

This is not free.

http://www.winability.com/folderguard/

It looks pretty good through.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

On Thu, 26 May 2005 16:01:49 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:
:

>> Yes that's the one I'm using, just need one that would allow one to
>> password protect the control panel. I can switch CP off but it's a
>> PITA having to re enable it when I need to use it.
>
>This is not free.
Thanks Galen,
At the price its worth a look. These type of prog tend to be quite
expensive , not only to buy, but on the annual licence fee they charge.
Again many thanks
MH

>http://www.winability.com/folderguard/
>
>It looks pretty good through.
>
>Galen

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:9ohd91tdp04kn3h8ekqdcu936n16fa17l5@4ax.com,
Mike Hyndman <mike@tmphyndman.demon.co.uk> had this to say:

> Thanks Galen,
> At the price its worth a look. These type of prog tend to be quite
> expensive , not only to buy, but on the annual licence fee they
> charge. Again many thanks
> MH

No worries, I did look for a freeware alternative in a half dozen or so
sites but didn't find anything that covered the control panel which you'd
expressed a desire to do. An alternative is to enable the guest account,
limit it's functions, and force yourself to either log-out automatically or
to remember to lock the computer. (The WinKey + L will do that quickly and
easily if you remember it.)

Hmm...

Okay, I suppose if you want you could also do this...

Right click the desktop in a blank space
Make a new shortcut
Enter this as the path: rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation
Click okay until the shortcut shows up
Right click the shortcut, select the properties button, click on the last
tab to the right
Click in the shortcut field and press the F10 button (unused function key)
Click apply
(On the first tab you can even change the icon to a custom icon if you want)

Now when you press the F10 key it will lock your computer automatically.
Coupled with a biometrics mouse based on fingerprints you could do a great
deal more of course but the above is a cheap way to accomplish that. You can
change the command to "shutdown -l" (without the quotes of course) to log
off as well.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:38:58 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:

>In news:9ohd91tdp04kn3h8ekqdcu936n16fa17l5@4ax.com,
>Mike Hyndman <mike@tmphyndman.demon.co.uk> had this to say:

>> Thanks Galen,
>> At the price its worth a look. These type of prog tend to be quite
>> expensive , not only to buy, but on the annual licence fee they
>> charge. Again many thanks
>> MH
>
>No worries, I did look for a freeware alternative in a half dozen or so
>sites but didn't find anything that covered the control panel which you'd
>expressed a desire to do. An alternative is to enable the guest account,
>limit it's functions, and force yourself to either log-out automatically or
>to remember to lock the computer. (The WinKey + L will do that quickly and
>easily if you remember it.)
Galen,

What can I say? Too kind by half ;-)

>Okay, I suppose if you want you could also do this...
>
>Right click the desktop in a blank space
>Make a new shortcut
>Enter this as the path: rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation
>Click okay until the shortcut shows up
>Right click the shortcut, select the properties button, click on the last
>tab to the right
>Click in the shortcut field and press the F10 button (unused function key)
>Click apply
>(On the first tab you can even change the icon to a custom icon if you want)
>
>Now when you press the F10 key it will lock your computer automatically.
>Coupled with a biometrics mouse based on fingerprints
Have you ever had to deal with the average ten year old's finger tips?
:-(
>you could do a great
>deal more of course but the above is a cheap way to accomplish that. You can
>change the command to "shutdown -l" (without the quotes of course) to log
>off as well.
Will try first thing Tuesday, many thanks.
Mike H