XP Home Problem

Could anyone suggest a solution to this problem.

I log in to XP home okay and get my background. But then the system the
toobar or icons on the screen. The system does not respond to mouse clicks,
nor does it respond to any key presses except ctrl-alt-del

Im connected to Internet thru ASDL.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bill
3 answers Last reply
More about home problem

    Hi Bill,

    Is this all accounts or just the one?
    Does it happen in Safe mode?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could anyone suggest a solution to this problem.
    >
    > I log in to XP home okay and get my background. But then the system the
    > toobar or icons on the screen. The system does not respond to mouse
    > clicks,
    > nor does it respond to any key presses except ctrl-alt-del
    >
    > Im connected to Internet thru ASDL.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bill

    Rick,
    It happens on all accounts , I can login but then loose toolbar, use of
    mouse and keyboard except for ctrl-alt-del.
    I think maybe virus or Trojan! I have backed up data in safe-mode command
    prompt, onto memory stick and I now think I will have to use my recovery disk
    as I cannot afford to be without computer for much longer.

    Thanks for your help.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > Is this all accounts or just the one?
    > Does it happen in Safe mode?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Could anyone suggest a solution to this problem.
    > >
    > > I log in to XP home okay and get my background. But then the system the
    > > toobar or icons on the screen. The system does not respond to mouse
    > > clicks,
    > > nor does it respond to any key presses except ctrl-alt-del
    > >
    > > Im connected to Internet thru ASDL.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Bill

    Hi Bill,

    Doesn't really sound like a virus or trojan, more likely a corrupt GUI. Try
    a repair installation:

    > Rick,
    > It happens on all accounts , I can login but then loose toolbar, use of
    > mouse and keyboard except for ctrl-alt-del.
    > I think maybe virus or Trojan! I have backed up data in safe-mode command
    > prompt, onto memory stick and I now think I will have to use my recovery
    > disk
    > as I cannot afford to be without computer for much longer.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Bill,
    >>
    >> Is this all accounts or just the one?
    >> Does it happen in Safe mode?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Could anyone suggest a solution to this problem.
    >> >
    >> > I log in to XP home okay and get my background. But then the system
    >> > the
    >> > toobar or icons on the screen. The system does not respond to mouse
    >> > clicks,
    >> > nor does it respond to any key presses except ctrl-alt-del
    >> >
    >> > Im connected to Internet thru ASDL.
    >> >
    >> > Any help would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Regards,
    >> > Bill