Deleted my paper! Help!!!!

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 26, 2005 3:21:02 AM

This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I feel
so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper that I
was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??

More about : deleted paper

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 6:43:57 AM

You can try various file recovery utilities. Of course, the less you use your computer in the meantime, the greater your likelihood of recovering the file.

http://www.file-saver.com/?afl=7673

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Kristi" <Kristi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90717DC6-7B42-4F6C-85EF-6FF66E487EFC@microsoft.com...
> This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I feel
> so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper that I
> was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??
May 26, 2005 3:01:09 PM

Here's a freebie. Do not download to harddrive for it may the overwrite
the file you are trying to recover. Recover and Restore Deleted Files (Line
36)download to floppy
Windows Beta Tester and
Programmer WNP

"Kristi" wrote:

> This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I feel
> so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper that I
> was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??
May 26, 2005 8:50:29 PM

you haven't mentioned what software you were using or what operating system
but here are a few suggestions:

- Ms word will keep temporary files in the temp folder. Maybe a copy of
your paper is still there
- If you hit the delete key, it might be that the document is still in the
recycle bin
- try http://www.executive.com/undelete/undelete.asp emergency undelete.

*The biggest problem you have now is that whenever you install new software
or open programs, they will use space in memory that could overwrite parts
of your document

maybe you can isntall undelete in another computer and do a recovery
remotely.
Rafael

"Kristi" <Kristi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I
> feel
> so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper
> that I
> was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:50:30 PM

I have only just seen this thread so apologies if this has already been
suggested.

It is possible that your deleted files may still be on your hard disk. I
would suggest you get GetDataback (www.runtime.org) or similar. This will
enable you to get back files which have been deleted - even if partially
overwritten. It will cost you (just under £40) - but you'll have it to use
again if necessary. It will have to be installed on and run from another
hard disk. If all that is worth it that could be your salvation.

You should think of having a good and reliable backing up regime. I would
suggest a streamer tape. This costs about £200 but it facilitates the
backing up of the whole of a hard disk which, in my book, is better than
selecting the files to be backed up (or not) and slowly onto a CD.

I also copy (using a batch file), every day, my key files onto another hard
drive. There are 3 copies here so, in theory, I'm never too far away from
disaster.

I appreciate that what I'm suggesting costs in time and money but it is
there for you to consider the value of the information on your computer.
This isn't necessarily a monetary value but, possibly, in the stress of the
consequence of loosing it. If you are in business the cost both monetary
and stress is, of course, likely to be higher than otherwise. You pays your
money and you takes your choice!!

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Rafael T" <okinawapro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o jUc2ccYFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> you haven't mentioned what software you were using or what operating
> system but here are a few suggestions:
>
> - Ms word will keep temporary files in the temp folder. Maybe a copy of
> your paper is still there
> - If you hit the delete key, it might be that the document is still in the
> recycle bin
> - try http://www.executive.com/undelete/undelete.asp emergency undelete.
>
> *The biggest problem you have now is that whenever you install new
> software or open programs, they will use space in memory that could
> overwrite parts of your document
>
> maybe you can isntall undelete in another computer and do a recovery
> remotely.
> Rafael
>
> "Kristi" <Kristi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I
>> feel
>> so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper
>> that I
>> was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:38:39 AM

Just a thought but did you check the recycle bin ?

"Kristi" <Kristi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I
> feel
> so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper
> that I
> was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 7:12:52 AM

here try this, its free to use and tends to find files rather well :
http://www.download.com/PC-Inspector-File-Recovery/3000...

!