Deleted my paper! Help!!!!

This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I feel
so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper that I
was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??
6 answers Last reply
More about deleted paper help

    You can try various file recovery utilities. Of course, the less you use your computer in the meantime, the greater your likelihood of recovering the file.

    http://www.file-saver.com/?afl=7673

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Kristi" <Kristi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90717DC6-7B42-4F6C-85EF-6FF66E487EFC@microsoft.com...
    > This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I feel
    > so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper that I
    > was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??

    Here's a freebie. Do not download to harddrive for it may the overwrite
    the file you are trying to recover. Recover and Restore Deleted Files (Line
    36)download to floppy
    Windows Beta Tester and
    Programmer WNP

    "Kristi" wrote:

    > This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I feel
    > so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper that I
    > was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??

    you haven't mentioned what software you were using or what operating system
    but here are a few suggestions:

    - Ms word will keep temporary files in the temp folder. Maybe a copy of
    your paper is still there
    - If you hit the delete key, it might be that the document is still in the
    recycle bin
    - try http://www.executive.com/undelete/undelete.asp emergency undelete.

    *The biggest problem you have now is that whenever you install new software
    or open programs, they will use space in memory that could overwrite parts
    of your document

    maybe you can isntall undelete in another computer and do a recovery
    remotely.
    Rafael

    "Kristi" <Kristi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I
    > feel
    > so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper
    > that I
    > was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??

    I have only just seen this thread so apologies if this has already been
    suggested.

    It is possible that your deleted files may still be on your hard disk. I
    would suggest you get GetDataback (www.runtime.org) or similar. This will
    enable you to get back files which have been deleted - even if partially
    overwritten. It will cost you (just under £40) - but you'll have it to use
    again if necessary. It will have to be installed on and run from another
    hard disk. If all that is worth it that could be your salvation.

    You should think of having a good and reliable backing up regime. I would
    suggest a streamer tape. This costs about £200 but it facilitates the
    backing up of the whole of a hard disk which, in my book, is better than
    selecting the files to be backed up (or not) and slowly onto a CD.

    I also copy (using a batch file), every day, my key files onto another hard
    drive. There are 3 copies here so, in theory, I'm never too far away from
    disaster.

    I appreciate that what I'm suggesting costs in time and money but it is
    there for you to consider the value of the information on your computer.
    This isn't necessarily a monetary value but, possibly, in the stress of the
    consequence of loosing it. If you are in business the cost both monetary
    and stress is, of course, likely to be higher than otherwise. You pays your
    money and you takes your choice!!

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    "Rafael T" <okinawapro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > you haven't mentioned what software you were using or what operating
    > system but here are a few suggestions:
    >
    > - Ms word will keep temporary files in the temp folder. Maybe a copy of
    > your paper is still there
    > - If you hit the delete key, it might be that the document is still in the
    > recycle bin
    > - try http://www.executive.com/undelete/undelete.asp emergency undelete.
    >
    > *The biggest problem you have now is that whenever you install new
    > software or open programs, they will use space in memory that could
    > overwrite parts of your document
    >
    > maybe you can isntall undelete in another computer and do a recovery
    > remotely.
    > Rafael
    >
    > "Kristi" <Kristi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I
    >> feel
    >> so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper
    >> that I
    >> was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??

    Just a thought but did you check the recycle bin ?

    "Kristi" <Kristi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I
    > feel
    > so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper
    > that I
    > was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??

    here try this, its free to use and tends to find files rather well :
    http://www.download.com/PC-Inspector-File-Recovery/3000-2248_4-10118664.html?tag=lst-0-5

    "Keith AH" <Somebody@somewher.com> wrote in message
    > Just a thought but did you check the recycle bin ?
    >
    > "Kristi" <Kristi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I'm desperate!! I
    >> feel
    >> so dumb, but somehow in my half asleep state I deleted my 5 page paper
    >> that I
    >> was only half way done with. Is there anyway I can get it back??

Microsoft Windows XP