Cursor theme files

Apologies if this has been answered 1,000 times--I can't find info anywhere.

I'm not concerned about desktop themes--just cursor theme files.
I've seen and downloaded several different XP cursor files from various
sources on the web, in order to have a variety from which to choose. I cannot
seem to get them to work.

Nearly all of these include the file "NAME.CurXPTheme"-- where NAME is the
author's designation of his/her work.

I have installed them into my C:/Windows/Cursors folder, but when I go to
the Control Panel and try to change the cursor, I don't see the theme as a
choice amongst the Themes listing, nor do any individual cursors appear for
one-at-a-time selection.

What am I doing wrong, please? ANy suggestions, help, tips greatly
appreciated.
Thanks--

newbie

http://www.stardock.com/products/cursorxp/

"Jef." wrote:

> Apologies if this has been answered 1,000 times--I can't find info anywhere.
>
> I'm not concerned about desktop themes--just cursor theme files.
> I've seen and downloaded several different XP cursor files from various
> sources on the web, in order to have a variety from which to choose. I cannot
> seem to get them to work.
>
> Nearly all of these include the file "NAME.CurXPTheme"-- where NAME is the
> author's designation of his/her work.
>
> I have installed them into my C:/Windows/Cursors folder, but when I go to
> the Control Panel and try to change the cursor, I don't see the theme as a
> choice amongst the Themes listing, nor do any individual cursors appear for
> one-at-a-time selection.
>
> What am I doing wrong, please? ANy suggestions, help, tips greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks--

I believe that XP itself doesn't save the mouse cursor schemes other than in
the registry. If you downloaded schemes named as NAME.CurXPTheme then most
likely you will need the software that newbie has mentioned. If you have the
individual cursors [*.cur or *.ani] then you could manually create your
schemes and save them. Or spend the $10 on software.