Sign in with
Your question
Solved

The Xbox 360 and it's notorious.....

Last response: in Video Games
September 7, 2009 3:33:11 AM

...Three red rings of death.

Let me describe the console, just from looking on the outside. Console has not been taken apart, and may not be depending on responses.

Specs are as follows:
-Xbox 360 Premium Edition
-Manufacture date: September 16th, 2006
-Appears to have the Toshiba/Samsung drive

Possible cause of problem:
I got the console for free, from a neighbor. He's paying me to fix it, and fix it right.

The owner used that stupid Nyko cooler. (This one http://www.modsupplier.com/catalog/images/Nyko-Xbox-360... )
Console was also kept in a confined space, as well as the power supply.

I powered it up five times. The first one I used Microsoft's 'hidden' code system to figure out the error code. Three red lights. I'm getting error code number 0102, apparently "unknown?"

(For those unfamiliar with this check out this article http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Xbox-360-error-cod... )

Second power up, without intercooler: red lights, nothing.

Third power up, without intercooler: turned on but froze on the boot video, with a graphical glitch (Those interlaced red/green blocks)

Fourth power up, without intercooler: To my surprise, the unit booted up no problem. I have no hard drive, games, or memory card, though. So I plugged in a CD. Which it's currently playing without a hitch on my projector...

Fifth power up, without intercooler: Turned on and, still working.

He let me mess around with it for a few days, and I will continue to see what it'll do. Could it possibly just be fine now that I told him not to use that joke of an intercooler?

Thanks, Todd

More about : xbox 360 notorious

Best solution

September 7, 2009 3:35:32 PM

Hmm tricky call this one. I cant see any genuine reason why the Intercooler would stop the xbox 360 from booting. Anyway best guess is that the extra cooling arrangment is actually restricting airflow to the internal fans.

MS havent really done an awful lot to cure the RROD problem, which is primarily caused by a poor HSF mounting. The problem occurs because over time the thermal interface material no longer provides sufficient contact between the top of the CPU / GPU and the HSF.

You can buy for a few pounds / dollars a repair kit that details how to remove the casing and reapply some new TIM and spacers to prevent this happening again.

MS should really consider changing the Mounting system as it must cost more in warranty repairs than it does for make / modify the HSF mounts.

September 7, 2009 4:37:00 PM

i fixed my bro's by opening it up and wiring in a 80mm fan ontop of the heatsink

oh and i put some zalman paste on to
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2009 5:43:26 PM

Better case fan or indeed adding a fan to the HSF woyld work wonders... Where did you wire the HSF fan to ?
m
l
September 8, 2009 4:02:28 PM

ulysses35 said:
Hmm tricky call this one. I cant see any genuine reason why the Intercooler would stop the xbox 360 from booting. Anyway best guess is that the extra cooling arrangment is actually restricting airflow to the internal fans.

MS havent really done an awful lot to cure the RROD problem, which is primarily caused by a poor HSF mounting. The problem occurs because over time the thermal interface material no longer provides sufficient contact between the top of the CPU / GPU and the HSF.

You can buy for a few pounds / dollars a repair kit that details how to remove the casing and reapply some new TIM and spacers to prevent this happening again.

MS should really consider changing the Mounting system as it must cost more in warranty repairs than it does for make / modify the HSF mounts.

The intercooler causes it to malfunction because it takes a total of 12 watts from the power supply. Which is 12 volts the Xbox needs to power itself. When I used to have mine, I ran into the same issue. I went through 5 Xbox's. The first four I used the intercooler. The last one, I experimented a little bit. I didn't use the intercooler. Which worked fine for a year, until it randomly stopped working. So I exchanged it for another one, but the sixth one, I just sold it. :) 
m
l
!